Pirate 4x4 banner

2 to 1 driveshaft

606 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  miniyota 
#1 ·
whats everyone think about taking out the 2 piece shaft and carrier and putting in one driveshaft in a 87 toy?? i could see the driveshaft becoming a skid plate in certain situations but was wondering what everyone thought...

#2 ·
I have several buddies who have ditched the two piece shaft for a one piece with no bad side effect's. Wouldn't be able to tell you if it is bad in a way we have not discoverd yet though :confused: . Two of them are DD so if there was a problem with doing it I am sure it would have been noticed by now.

Kevin

#3 ·
I have been running a one-piece for about five years now, and I am thinking about going back to a two-piece. I have bent five shafts and the one that I have on there now is made from almost .200 wall tubing. With my 122 inch WB my rear shaft is almost five feet long. It works ok but I am tired of bending them.

#5 ·
If you do decide to go to a one peice, youll probably have to cut the spring perches off and rotate the axle to point the pinion at the t-case, if you plan on running a c/v at the case. (which you should). I'd run a one peice if I were you, because I hate the carrier bearing piece of shit. I went to a one piece after shortening my wheelbase, And I like it.

#6 ·
I am running a one piece as well at appoximately 68" and I am at about 123" WB. I haven't destroyed any yet shafts but, have tagged it on numerous occasions. It has been bothering me as well to look under my truck and see so much driveshaft exposed. I am leaning towards that recent carrier bearing that one of the fellas on Pirate is offering. This will require tilting the 3rd a little higher once I am done but, at last there will be less shaft exposed. The reason why I went to one piece in the first place was because the original carrier bearing was going but, perhaps with that solid carrier housing I will have less play reversing up hills (if I need to).

#7 ·
i have been running a 1 piece shaft for a couple years and have yet to tag it. i pointed my 3rd at the tcase. i have half the ujoints to worry about breaking. i'm much happier with this set up. and i was going through center bearings about every two years!

#8 ·
my carrier is getting sloppy and am at a point where its either fix it or make a new shaft...whats a carrier run?? the ASE master tech (sarcasm) behind the couter at auto zone acted like he thought i was talking about pigeons and never got an answer

#10 ·
screw a bunch of that crap i might just go ahead and do the single shaft idea after all...thanks minitoya

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.