Pirate 4x4 banner

toy front diff in a ranger

649 views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  NE-RokToy 
#1 ·
im putting a toy diff in my ranger and a 302 i was looking for what i can run for tranny and t-casess my best bet so far is ford v8 to toy 5 speed bellhousing .any one have a better idea?

#5 ·
i'm doing a 302 bolted to a AOD that connected to a dana 300. Should be strong enough if you rebuild the aod right and you don't need to but no expensive freakin adapters. All you need to do is respline the output shaft on the AOD.
Oh yeah, new axels too. Toyota axels wont hang. Maybe the front if you baby it in 4 wheel.

#6 ·
broncoboy351 said:
Oh yeah, new axels too. Toyota axels wont hang. Maybe the front if you baby it in 4 wheel.
This is freakin' hilarious.... The Toy axle STOCK is stronger than the POS axle that came under it from the fawktory.... But you're prolly drivin' a FORD so you should know how to baby a driveline. :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

#9 ·
twitch88 said:
FrankenToy, so what if the toy axle is stronger than the stock ranger axle. Last time I checked the 5.0 wasn't a factory option for the ranger.
The point is the Toy axles are much better choice than the stockers for his application. I run a 4.3L Chevy with 223:1 ON THE ROCKS and I haven't had any problems.

#10 ·
I think that the main reason for swapping in this application wasn't for the strength but the fact that he wants a solid axle. Personally if I were going to be running a V8 in the rocks I would not go with a toy axle. Why you ask, well maybe because there are many other options out there that were made with V8's in mind. Even if people say that it will be fine why chance it when you could just use something else and not have to fuck with it later.

#14 ·
ok im a bit of a newb to some of this stuff first first i know a dana 300 is a transfer case but what did it come out of. D44 up here in canada (eh) there hard to find for under 1000bucks and then u gotta beef them up i got the toy diff for about 200 and cost me 50bucks a side to get the burfs smurfd and i plain on running 37s so the toy diff should hold up fine for awhile! this is on a budget kinda

#15 ·
dana 300s came from jeep cjs in the early-mid 80s.

if you want to run 37s on a toyota axle and a v8, i'd save some money and buy bobby long's 30 spline super birfield kit. basically the same shaft strength as a 35 spline dana 60

#17 ·
dana 300s are popular because they're strong, gear driven, "relatively" inexpensive and have a pretty good stock low range(compared to like a np205 or dana 20).

they're passenger drop, there are toyota reduction box - dana 300 adapters out there as well. the case can also be flipped if you do some work and/or buy a kit.

#24 ·
The reason I suggested a dana 300 is it is a fairly beefy case with available aftermarket adpaters to a ford tranny... pretty sure there isnt a ford tranny --> toy case adapter. I guess another option if you have the wheelbase would be to run a divorced toyota case (OTT industries has the adpater for $235 USD) but I think a dana 300 would be a cleaner and simplier install. Could always go to a 203+205 doubler setup if you have room for the big ass transfer cases... allthough again I think that would get pricey because you would need to change the input on a chevy 205 plus the dual case adapter (at least $450 USD)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.