Pirate 4x4 banner

injector question

531 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  zuknstien 
#1 ·
I bought an 88 motor and 89 wiring harness and I have it all wired up but the injectors are a different plug, I have the plugs that fit the injectors off an older harness I was wondering if I can just put the older plugs on the newer harness
1 of the wires on each plug is the same on the harnesses.

#2 ·
probably not.

i'm not sure of the years off the top of my head, but they switched injectors somewhere around there, and if your plugs are different, chances are, the injectors are different.

the main difference is that the earlier years had a 'injector resistor' inline with the power to the injectors, the impedance of the 2 injectors is different.

but... you should be able to wire in the earlier injectors with the earlier injector resistor into the later year harness. but it's hard to say if that will work or not. it should, if you get it wired right.

the other problems you might run into is the ECU might drive the injectors differently. theoretically, the ECU just grounds out the 2 wires going to the injectors to make it fire. also, they might flow differently, so the timing might be different between the years??

you're best bet is to find the right injectors.

#4 · (Edited)
You can modify the connection to make it work. I put a 94 model engine in my 88 truck. Everything was going smooth until it was time to start making connections. Most of the sensors I just swapped between the engines. As you say the injector plugs are different, but the basic connection is the same. Not knowing what to do I decided to quit and have a beer. A friend came by and looked at the whole deal and decided that he could shave the plug on the injector with a razor. Look at the connection and you can see what needs to be modified. I do not know about the resistors and such stated above, but I know my truck runs like a top. This was done over the last Thanksgiving holiday. I have put about 500 miles on it since then, 90% going to the trails and back, and have had zero problems. I might get a picture after work if you need it.

WP

#5 ·
sweet thats what I wanted to hear, I already changed the plugs(and had the whole intake back together) thinking it would work then read something on here making me thing other wise thats why I made the thread.
I thought about shaving them like you did but just figured I have the plugs might as well use them.

#9 ·
different resistance specs mean different amps to the computer ground.

i wish people would appriciate the info they get instead of arguing it.

feel free to use whatever injectors you want, but dont bitch when your computer burns up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.