Pirate 4x4 banner

86 Gearing question

565 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  84yota4x4 
#1 ·
This is a newb question, but I cant seem to find the answer anywhere on the forum.

I just bought an 86 toyota 4x4 extra cab, and it has 31" tires on it right now. I noticed when I was driving it, that I cant really ever use 5th gear. I put it in once on the highway, but it was kinda laging, and on any incline it slowed down quite a bit.
I want to keep the 31's, so I was wondering how to go about changing the gearing on the truck to accomidate the larger tires.

any info you can give me would be great :)

Thanks, Dave

#2 ·
I found some info in the sticky at the top (probilby should have read that first) :(

but it doesnt answer all of my questions. if my truck has the 4.11 gears, its a standard so I think it does, should those gears be ok, and maybe I should see why the engine is lacking power. Or should I step up and put 4.88 gears in? I'm not worried about highway driving very much. so if it has to rev a bit more, or I just have to go a bit slower, I dont mind.

#5 ·
my truck's got 4.38 gears and i'm running heavy 31" swampers. has great acceleration and i can pull at least 60 uphill in 5th. however i just built the engine a few months back :D

#6 ·
I would step up to 5.29 right away because I`m sure one day you will decide to put 33"s or 35" on :D

You won`t see a big difference from 4.10 to 4.88 anyways...

#7 ·
Glycerine said:
This is a newb question, but I cant seem to find the answer anywhere on the forum.

I just bought an 86 toyota 4x4 extra cab, and it has 31" tires on it right now. I noticed when I was driving it, that I cant really ever use 5th gear. I put it in once on the highway, but it was kinda laging, and on any incline it slowed down quite a bit.
I want to keep the 31's, so I was wondering how to go about changing the gearing on the truck to accomidate the larger tires.

any info you can give me would be great :)

Thanks, Dave
Your problem isn't gearing. 31" tires are not that big..

#8 ·
crash said:
Your problem isn't gearing. 31" tires are not that big..
what do you sugest I do? What are some common Reasons that the 22RE looses power?

I found an RPM calculator on the net, and with the 4.88 gears it's at 3385rpm at 80mph and 2539@60, does that seem right?(5speed)

If I do decide do decide to do a gear swap, how much money (and work) am I looking at? If I can, I'll do the work myself. I'm not sure how big of a job it is. :confused:

#10 · (Edited)
I see... Perhaps I jumped into this a bit too fast then. I just figured it would be smart to utilize the unused rpm in 5th gear. I wasnt sure how big of a job it was.

Are there some easy Bolt-on pieces I can get for my 22re to gain a little extra power? Air intake? exhaust? or am I just going to have to get used to it? Its not horible, I just probibly wont use 5th very much, only on flat open highway. (which there isnt much of here at all)

#11 ·
Glycerine said:
I see... Perhaps I jumped into this a bit too fast then. I just figured it would be smart to utilize the unused rpm in 5th gear. I wasnt sure how big of a job it was.

Are there some easy Bolt-on pieces I can get for my 22re to gain a little extra power? Air intake? exhaust? or am I just going to have to get used to it? Its not horible, I just probibly wont use 5th very much, only on flat open highway. (which there isnt much of here at all)

headders, new exhaust and k&n should help...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.