Pirate 4x4 banner

1UZFE/2UZFE V-8 Conversion info/thread

27K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  mudrunner90 
#1 ·
Been searching for info on 1UZFE/2UZFE Lexus/Toyota V-8 installs into 1984-1995 Toyota trucks and 4 runners and have found some information, but still missing alot.

I'd like to see a better/more complete thread. I'll work on posting in some of the links I found.

I'd like to see more detailed info/pictures regarding the following:

What transmission(s) bolt up: only A340h and A340f? Only Non-US adaptors and/or Non-US spec manual transmissions?

Clearance issues on oil pan? IFS vs. solid axle

Clearance issues on steering?

Clearance issue on firewall/radiator/electric fan? What fans have been used?

Can you keep A/C?

Motor mounts - do you need to make custom ones or can you mix and match like 22R to 7M?

How does the 1UZFE/2UZFE compare to the 5/7M conversion ONLY related to space/fitting in the engine bay?

See less See more
#3 ·
I already have a thread going for my swap:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336619

I've been combing www.lextreme.com for information. It has been a wealth of info on the subject. Search over there for "Hilux" and "Surf" under the conversion section. Bunch of threads. The Aussies and NZ guys have done this swap already and doumented it prettty well.

1UZFE is all alloy (started building these in 1990 or so), 2UZ has an iron block and is heavy (and more expensive currently). The 1UZ is arround 430 lbs. the 2UZ is 600 lbs +.

Running a manual trans is an expensive proposition since you need a custom bellhousiing and other custom parts to make it work.

The a340h/f bolt up, but you need the 1UZFE bellhousing/torque converter. The trick is making it work with the 1UZFE ECU. I'm sorting through this now.

You need a front sump pan to clear the IFS. LS400 engines are front sump. Solid axle makes clearance easier, but not completely necessary.

Steering clears exhaust manifolds. Headers might be a problem.

No firewall problems or radiator issues (can run existing rad from 3VZE) I think you can use the 1UZFE engine fan and still clear. The shroud needs to be modified.

AC can stay.

Custom motor mounts.

Engine fits in the bay just fine, but a body lift of cowl hood is needed to clear the intake.

#6 ·
How can you avoid radiator/fan/AC issues? This thread says they moved the tranny back and there is still little room at the front of the engine. Talks about removing the A/C condensor.

http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1570&page=2&pp=20

Picture and info by Post #22

cebby said:
No firewall problems or radiator issues (can run existing rad from 3VZE) I think you can use the 1UZFE engine fan and still clear. The shroud needs to be modified.

QUOTE]

#7 ·
I didn't see any mention of moving the tranny back. It says he used the 3VZE engine mounts - not sure how that impacts where the motor sits exactly, but I remember a picture over there where there seemed to be a good amount of room between the engine and firewall and ample space to shift it back some.

I must have read that business about the engine fan in another thread. I'll have to see if I can find where I read that. I have an electric fan, so I'm not overly concerned about it.

My R12 AC doesn't work, but I intended to recharge it. I 'hope' to not have to relocate it.

#8 ·
Post #17 mentioned moving the gearbox back and maybe doing driveshaft mods.

I've also seen other pics showing little room and one guy made mention of running his radiator in the bed, or taking out the A/C

cebby said:
I didn't see any mention of moving the tranny back. It says he used the 3VZE engine mounts - not sure how that impacts where the motor sits exactly, but I remember a picture over there where there seemed to be a good amount of room between the engine and firewall and ample space to shift it back some.

I must have read that business about the engine fan in another thread. I'll have to see if I can find where I read that. I have an electric fan, so I'm not overly concerned about it.

My R12 AC doesn't work, but I intended to recharge it. I 'hope' to not have to relocate it.

#12 ·
Hi Guts, the section of tubing is 50mm? Which is about 2 inches? And it looks like there is less room than that, if you include the waterpump and other items that jut out?

Where did you put your fan(s) and what size etc. did you use? Did you need to mount a radiator in the back as mentioned?

Where you able to keep your A/C?

#13 ·
I have 2 10 inch fans front mounted and have moved my ac condensor to under the tray I didn`t have ac before but it WILL have it when it is back on the road again.
To get this much room I had to give the fire wall some loven with a hammer, it wasn`t much and now that the engine bay is all painted you can not tell where I have hit the fire wall. I had to move the gear box forward 35mm, if you moved it forward more you could get away with not hitting the firewall but you will have less room at the front and you will have to rebend your gear stick or it would hit the dash, as it is mine is only about 10mm from hitting and I will bend it a little bit to make shore it doesn`t hit during body/frame/flex/torque twist.

Yes that is 50mm rhs and it is only just sitting there as a referance thing to show how tight these motors are in a hilux.

Can`t comment on how it cools yet as I haven`t got it going yet, rig is at a mates house now so he can wire the motor up hopefully over easter weekend.

I also have a sump oil cooler mounted under the tray which should help with cooling heeps.

#24 ·
i picked up a 91 excab over the weekend with a blown 22re. It has an a340h/f trans. The Tcase is removable. This is the trans i want for my 1uz swap, correct? With this trans i should be able to choose between mini cases, aw4 output/D300, or atlas.

#25 ·
This may have been noted already, but I'll toss in what I'm currently doing. I'm swapping in a 1uz into a friends '88 Supra. Using the factory bellhousing that unbolts from the 1uz auto tranny, we're buying the R series kit from www.toyotav8.com. So far the guy has been helpful and all is working out. The adapter works for the 3vz R150 tranny as well, but you must be sure to use the long input shaft of the '95+ tranny. Or, you can use the Jeep AX15, machine down the input shaft pilot tip, use the 1uz bellhousing and adapter and have the output housing bolt pattern for an Atlas case. There's a few places that have the adapter kits, but toyotav8's seem the most complete. Centerforce part #383824 will get you the right diameter clutch disc with 10 splines for the AX15. Kinda pricey setup, but you get to go with any R series you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.