Pirate 4x4 banner

Couple of frame questions on an '86...

783 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Arya Ebrahimi 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm getting ready to hack off the rear portion of the frame and rebuild it due to rot. I'm not going to "tube" it due to lack of time and resources, just want to have a clean slate to work from.

What I'm wondering is if the rear portion of an '86 frame is the same as an '85. If it is, then I can use the frame dimensions for the '85 frame given in the FAQ.

Secondly, does anyone know the inside width of the frame in the flat portion in front of the front spring hangers for the rear springs. I'm planning to use 2x4 tubing to sleeve inside the frame rail. I know the height will fit as the frame is ~4.5", but I'm concerned about the width. Any ideas?

Lastly, if you could add to or alter the rear frame while still retaining rectangular rails, what would you do? I'm planning to leave 4" behind the shackle hangers to give me room for adjustment and a place to put a bumper to help protect backing into the shackles. I will also be swapping to 63"s and shortening the wheelbase ~9" while I'm doing this.

Thanks,

Ary

See less See more
#2 ·
if the frame is in such bad shape is it worth fooling with? make sure of the condition of the rest of the frame-have seen them rotted way forward of the usual trouble spots. also the inside of the frame rails are not exactly obstruction free when you go to sleeve it if i interpret your plan correctly.

#3 ·
The front half of the frame is in great shape and very solid. The truck had an oil leak, and by the look of things had it for a long long time which coated the frame very nicely acting as a rust inhibitor. I was hoping to sleeve the new tube into the frame overlapping them about 1' with plug welds along the length of the overlap as well as welding the seam. Where I want the old and new to overlap appears to be very straight, so I'm hoping I can just slide them in(persuasion w/ the 4lbs mini-sledge is always assumed :D ).

Is my plan crazy?

Ary

#4 ·
Hey, I'm In the middle of doing the same thing to my frame. You can check out my progress so far on my web site. I don't think the sleeve idea is going to work, but I am using 2X4 inch tubing so I will try to slide a piece in the frame tomorrow morning for you and let you know if it fits. I know for a fact that there is a lot of internal gusseting where the frame makes the upward bend at the rear. You are going to need to cut forward of that. there is a gusset about 6~8 inches forward of the bend (about 1~2 inches back from the horse collar cross member). Past that I can't tell very well.
As for the "sleeving" idea, I think you are better off to go with fishtail joints and plating. That is what I am doing at least. Good luck,
Adam

#5 ·
Adam, I would really appreciate that. I'm planning to cut the frame off right around the horse collar, probably right behind it. Not exactly sure yet, gotta figure out where the rot stops and go a few inches forward of that. I look forward to hearing what you find out tomorrow. Thanks

Ary

#6 ·
I'd really take a look at the front portion of the frame before you decide to go to all the trouble. I went to patch up the obvious holes in my '85 frame, but took a needle scaler to it to take out the rust first. Cleaned out the areas where I was going to patch, but ran the scaler up the frame rails "just to check" other areas. Ended up with an 18" x 4" hole in the frame below the passenger side door where I thought it was solid...

My plans are to replace the whole frame at this point.

#7 · (Edited)
Ary,
As you can see from the pictures on my web site I cut the frame at 10 inches back from the horse collar. Today I am in the process of making tubes to replace that 10 inches as well.

As you can see in this picture there is an internal plate that keeps a 2x4 inch tube from sliding into the frame. That plating tapers up towards the top side of the frame from there, so 10 inches back you might be able to get the tube in there. No garrentees on what other kind of internal gussets there are tho. I'll get pics and post them up when I chop the frame again.
By the way here is how it sat last night.

Attachments

#8 ·
Thanks very much Adam. I'm gonna get under there w/ a wirewheel on the grinder and see how far forward the rot goes. I don't have the time or facilities to do a frame swap(doing this buildup in a parking lot, and R&Ring the rear portion of the frame is pushing it as it is). So I guess if the frame is shot, I'll have to come up with another plan.

Ary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.