Pirate 4x4 banner

$$$ to install birfs

749 views 27 replies 25 participants last post by  5spd 
#1 · (Edited)
ok i was asked to day who installed my birfs when i replied to the guy he had asked me if i would install his new longfields for him if he paid me
so my question is should i charge him and if so how much should i charge him
ps
i do not know this guy he was just at my place of work and my place of work will not install them so he asked if i would at my private shop

#2 ·
Its all on what your time is worth when it comes down to it. Have him buy new seals if he aint got em yet and some new grease then charge him $50 per hour for the job, sounds like it dont matter to him as long as someone else will do it and get dirty for him

#3 ·
5spd said:
charge him $50 per hour for the job,

Shit wow! damn expensive, I hope the mechanic wears white gloves and will polish the birfs until he sees his teeth in them! :flipoff2:

Seriously time is money and nothing is free. Unless its your real close friend...

Not unlike the guy who asked me last summer to install an SAS on his truck iin return that I would be his friend. :shaking:

#6 ·
Rescue said:
Shit wow! damn expensive, I hope the mechanic wears white gloves and will polish the birfs until he sees his teeth in them! :flipoff2:

Seriously time is money and nothing is free. Unless its your real close friend...

Not unlike the guy who asked me last summer to install an SAS on his truck iin return that I would be his friend. :shaking:
man, i charge $50 an hour + parts to do work on briggs and stratton engines. too bad a head gasket is a 20 minute job if i take my time :flipoff2:

#7 ·
KYOTA said:
charge him if you want but maybe have him help or watch so he knows how to do it himself next time
This is what I was thinking.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach him to fish and he eats for a life time!

Whats this guy gonna do when he breaks on the trail?

Make him help and maybe charge him a little less(and make him clean up the mess :D )

#8 ·
I can look up the shop time for you if you want and then you can just charge whatever per hour. Email me if so b/c I do not surf this board much. Kappa416@aol.com

I need to know everything about the vehicle to look up the shop time.

#9 ·
IF you have the free time I would charge him a flat rate and show him how to do it.

if your taking time out of a busy schedule charge him by the hour... though I don't think standard shop rates apply unless you have the facilities/equipment/reputation/training of a well estableshed shop (not dogging you and I would probably trust you over most regular auto shops, you just got to look at the situation from an outsiders perspective)

#10 ·
guess I'm one of the few that'll say do it for free if he is willing to watch/learn. what goes around eventually comes around, and I'm sure they'll be some time when you'll need someone to do something for you.

plus...as mike said...what's this guy gonna do if he ever breaks down on the trail? he sure as shit aint gonna be able to fix it himself and i dunno about you but I HATE bein behind that guy on the trail.

#13 ·
Depends on how good/fast you are. I charge $50 an hour for most jobs, whether it be fabrication or mechanical, But I think its a fair rate for my services, because I get some, and am a perfectionist at the same time. I guess its a matter of experiance. For me its a solid 17 years worth......:)

#14 · (Edited)
Depends how cool he is. Does he want to lean how to do it or is he just a shmuck wth more money than he knows what to do with.
If he wants to learn and help out a case of beer and a 6 pk of tacos will do.
If he is a shmuck take his money and run with it.

I normally charge $50 and hour for G-jobs. That beats the $120 and hour my shop charges.

#17 ·
You guys say that 50$/hour is a good rate. What about a shady tree mechanic? What rate should it be?

#18 ·
I own a shop where we don't normally do this kind of work "through the front door" (but i'm starting to get so many requests that who knows...). I agree it depends on the individual. If you know this guy and he appears to have some potential as a do it yourselfer then the beer/tacoes seem like a good trade. If he's just some schmuck who gets on your nerves, has lots of dough, and doesn't like to clean grease from under his fingernails then take his money.

#19 ·
I know it's money and I'm as much of a capitalist pig as the next guy but...

He aproched you at your place of work and if you do this is something is wrong there is a chance that he will come back at you at your place of work. Hand him off to some one else who can do the job.

#22 ·
Brandon said:
that's skeeeery! WTF does he want those if he can't even put them in for! Not the type of person I want to see on the trail. Then again if he can get you to do it for free he is a smarter man than me ;)

Sell him a manual and say see ya..

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner. It ain't rocket science and a lesson learned the harder way is a lesson learned. Tell hem to search for the "CAMO method" here.

#23 ·
tell him that you will oversee him do it and help him when and if he needs it.

Charge him a case of beer and then have all your buds over to drink the beer
and laugh at him every time he f*#ks up.

If he isn't willing to work on his own stuff then why should you.

#25 ·
Bill Collins said:
if the man wants to come get his hands dirty,then bring a case of bud-light and we will get after it.

if he wants to drop it off at my shop,then i will do it for $50 a side on my spare time...
This would be my approach as well.

If someone walked in the shop I work at (general automotive) flag time would call for $460 plus parts. What would suck about that is then I'd actually have to get my hands dirty :flipoff2: (I'm the office guy :D )

d

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.