Pirate 4x4 banner

Who has gotpropane?

11K views 97 replies 28 participants last post by  thirdgrader 
#1 ·
Just curious about who is running their kit? Anyone running the turbo with it as well? Looking at possibly running both on my 1983, but was told by Cary over there that I have to run an 85 or newer head to do so. Can someone explain what the differences between a pre 85 head and an 85 and new head are? Mainly the exhaust stud locations is what I am curious about. I thought all of these heads were the same up to about 90.

Thanks

Tico
:cool2:

#2 ·
We have 4 different trucks running on Cary's kits. No turbos. He has very nice stuff and is extremely helpful with install tips and whatnot. I'm running my 22re with propane. Just mounted the mixer right in front of the throttle housing. Very clean looking and runs great. 85 and earlier meaning carb motor for the turbo?

#3 ·
Yup, 85 and earlier carb heads vs. 85 and later carbed heads. What are the differences in the exhaust stud locations? Would love to run the turbo set up on my 83 hybie. Looking at my old 83 22R head, and my hybie 20R head, I see no difference. Everything bolted up to include my Thorley header.

Thanks

Tico

#6 · (Edited)
Does this mean EFI and Carb mounts for exhaust or intake stuff? I was told by Cary that there is something different about the exhaust studs on the 85 and newer heads that is different that my 83 22R or 80 20R hybie head. Just curious of what that difference maybe.

Thanks again.

Tico

I know this because I"ve had my PCE degree for awhile now
:confused:

#16 ·
Napoleon047 said:
what is the point of propane on the fuel injection motor?
Increased octane equivalent for one (approximately equal to a 110 octane gasoline), which allows you to run the timing considerably more advanced. Simplicity second. No fuel pump, no injectors, no computer, no harness, etc... Just a standard ignition system and the propane setup.

#18 ·
crashinaz said:
Increased octane equivalent for one (approximately equal to a 110 octane gasoline), which allows you to run the timing considerably more advanced. Simplicity second. No fuel pump, no injectors, no computer, no harness, etc... Just a standard ignition system and the propane setup.
Not to mention that engine will run upside down. Until it runs out of oil.....

#19 · (Edited)
exhaust stud locations

2RowTC4Runner said:
Be sure to use the exhaust manifold from the '86. Your '84 head has a stud right in the middle. Your '86 has two in the middle.

An '85 and later exhaust manifold looks like the one on the picture in this link from my site:http://web.ncf.ca/ez273/Exhaust_Manifold.jpg
If your '84 manifold doesn't have all these holes you can't use it on your '86 head.

But if for some reason you want to use your '84 exhaust manifold, you can remove the two center studs and relocate one in between them. There is an unused hole in the middle which permits that. you might be able to see what I mean from this picture: http://web.ncf.ca/ez273/DSCF1128.JPG
That should answer your ?. I snagged the quote from here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338347

I'm rather new here myself but if you learn anything here first, let it be the search feature. It will/could save you from alot of flaming in the future.

Hope that answered the ? for ya.

#20 ·
Thanks for the info and the pics all. Big help. Another couple of questions, once the mixer is installed in place of the stock carb, is all of the smog crap (air injection, vacuum lines exc. the distributor advance, etc.) pulled out of the system? Also are any of the trucks in the pics smogged? What size of tank is being used on the carb trucks, and where is it mounted?

Thanks again.

Tico

#22 ·
from mtbrjon:
I have added a "choke" mechanism to the top of my regulator. There is a "primer" button on top that allows a small amount of vapor to go to the mixer whenever the fluid line solenoid is energized. So I just turn on the key and pull a little choke cable mounted under my dash that moves a lever that pushes that button and it really improves cold starts
Sounds like a really good idea for those of us that live or work where it can get a little cold in the mornings. Still curious about the smog stuff and all of the vacuum lines. Looks like all of them are gone in the pics. Were they just removed and plugged? Also what about the air injection system?

Tico

#23 ·
Efi propane and inject??

So if i wanted to go to 22re propane could i leave the injectors and comp. and afm in and still have it work right. so i could switch from propane to gas, as in putting a fuel pump cut off switch and leave the gas off when running on propane?? :confused:

and another thing over spring break since i was off school because im only 15 i was talking to my dad about propane and he told me that we had some propane setup parts up in the upstairs of the shop so i went up the ladder to see if i could find them, so the first time i looked i didnt find them but after I got a flashlight and look harder i found the big box full of parts. So i dug through the box and found that there was 3 whole setups complete with carbs that were proably for a ford or somthing like that. But here is the problem i dont what all i have so im going to post some pictures later of what i got.

But here is the other question. I was woundering since you all know that sometimes a 22r could use a little extra ponys when pulling a long hill. So i was woundering if you could make like a Fogger that they use for NOS but hook it up to the propane and use a push butten switch that was on a silinode so that you could inject some propane in for a little ummph :flipoff2: ..??

well any feed back is much abligged

#25 ·
firekiller said:
from mtbrjon:

Sounds like a really good idea for those of us that live or work where it can get a little cold in the mornings. Still curious about the smog stuff and all of the vacuum lines. Looks like all of them are gone in the pics. Were they just removed and plugged? Also what about the air injection system?

Tico
My trucks are all off road only. All the smog stuff is in the trash.

#26 ·
Wild_yota13 said:
So if i wanted to go to 22re propane could i leave the injectors and comp. and afm in and still have it work right. so i could switch from propane to gas, as in putting a fuel pump cut off switch and leave the gas off when running on propane?? :confused:

and another thing over spring break since i was off school because im only 15 i was talking to my dad about propane and he told me that we had some propane setup parts up in the upstairs of the shop so i went up the ladder to see if i could find them, so the first time i looked i didnt find them but after I got a flashlight and look harder i found the big box full of parts. So i dug through the box and found that there was 3 whole setups complete with carbs that were proably for a ford or somthing like that. But here is the problem i dont what all i have so im going to post some pictures later of what i got.

But here is the other question. I was woundering since you all know that sometimes a 22r could use a little extra ponys when pulling a long hill. So i was woundering if you could make like a Fogger that they use for NOS but hook it up to the propane and use a push butten switch that was on a silinode so that you could inject some propane in for a little ummph :flipoff2: ..??

well any feed back is much abligged
No reason why you couldn't run dual set up.Place the mixer in line before the throttle, disable fuel delivery and turn on propane and away you go. Only thing I can think of that may cause trouble is injectors dry firing for a long period may screw them up so a disable for the power side of the injectors may be in order as well.

I think you should try the "fogger" setup and see what happens when you try to run gas and porpane together and let us know how it goes. Don't forget to take video the first time you turn it on. :grinpimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.