Pirate 4x4 banner

buggy ideas for my 6 week old kid

781 views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  yota83 
#1 · (Edited)
So I'm a new dad to a 6 week old shit-factory. His name is Denver. I've been thinking about starting a totally new buggy project using some of my spare parts. Any other dad's out there thinking or thought along the same lines?

Here's what I have for spare parts: complete toyota SFA and rear axle assemblies (was saving for a rainy day). Complete 22RE drivetrain, wiring harness, tranny, xfer case, a bunch of IFS front diffs and misc. IFS parts. An '89 2WD S10 complete with no engine and transmission (steering column, seats, axle, springs etc..), spare sbc, TH350 (2), 700R4 (1), spare toyota transfer cases, spare Advance Adapter TH350 - Toy case, 81-83 Toyota hood, fenders, doors and box.A whole wack of misc. leaf springs, 88 Tailgate and hood ... edit: pair of TBI 4.3's too and a 4L60.

Here's what I want to do, no rails, no Wal-Mart electric Jeep. Front engine bush buggy - a small two seater, I want something he can use when he's 6-8+ years old. But I also want something that he won't grow out of and something that I can remove the gas pedal restrictor and have some fun myself.

Anyone ever thought of using some of this old IFS stuff for something like this? Theres so much out there and its so cheap .... nearly free.

See less See more
#4 ·
You know what im thinking about build for my roommate. Kinda sounds wired but i always wanna build somthing. snowmobile motor to zuk case. Then do sammie axles with some 33s. Its would be fawking light and slow. Not sure if i could get a motor that would run around 1,500 to 2000 rpms and like it though.

#5 ·
for a kid,,,,a smaller frame but somewhat like tydes old one seater with some sort of high hores power front wheel drive engine and trans..set it side ways and left and right axles become front and rear drive shafts...be fun to build..the suspension options are end less...

#6 · (Edited)
I'm building a geo 3 poper powered buggy for the kids with dana 35/30 out of my dads 71 jeep I'll be swapen some 44's into. Figured I'd use the transaxle and go to a zuki t-case.

PS....... I'm buildin this for my 6 year old and will be scared as all hell about him getting hurt, cant imaging a 6 week old ya crack head :flipoff2: Going to be one of thoose extended projects ?

#7 · (Edited)
LAWMAN said:
I'm building a geo 3 poper powered buggy for the kids with dana 35/30 out of my dads 71 jeep I'll be swapen some 44's into. Figured I'd use the transaxle and go to a zuki t-case.
I think you have the right idea. Those weak POS parts we throw away in a very light aplication will probably work great. My 9 year old has been bugging the heck out of me for his own rig.. And in fact, he's been learning some welding skilz for when that time comes(hopefully this winter)

#8 ·
Thats what I figured, one the parts are there, and whats not is cheap as hell. (2) I can get the boy started in the garage by having him help, and (3) I get to try a couple suspension designs I've been kicken around in my head.

I am going to build a wishbone 3 link front and rear. 1 coil spring per wishbone to suspend part of the vehicle. (1) 1.5x1 bore hydro cyl at each corner rather than shocks or springs. I figured I'd interconnect the hydro cyl to force articulation. Basicly a similar design to the Scorpion but using hydraulics rather than mechanical leverage. Cool thing is I found used geo 3 poppers out of japan for cheap Link I'm just wondering if the tranny will hold up.

#9 ·
LAWMAN said:

PS....... I'm buildin this for my 6 year old and will be scared as all hell about him getting hurt, cant imaging a 6 week old ya crack head :flipoff2: Going to be one of thoose extended projects ?
heh.. well it'll take me at least 6 years to get this done! I've got a worn out '85 4Runner to restore and build. I bought it soon after I found out my wife was pregnant. I figure the days of my 2 seater '81 pickup is coming to a sad end and I don't want a minivan or an off-the-shelf SUV. Already have a family car (Corolla).

Hey I really like the idea of jeep axles. With everyone trying to do 44 swaps I bet I can snag a set of jeep axles for really cheap. I have a spare Toyota SFA but wanted to save that for a future SAS. So I've been thinking about using some old Toyota IFS parts .... I saw a guy make a "solid front axle" from a I-beam Ford Dana 50. I was kind of thinking along the same lines for a Toyota IFS but yea, crappy jeep axles, perfect.

#10 ·
crash said:
I think you have the right idea. Those weak POS parts we throw away in a very light aplication will probably work great. My 9 year old has been bugging the heck out of me for his own rig.. And in fact, he's been learning some welding skilz for when that time comes(hopefully this winter)
Buy a wore-out truck for the kid, get the kid to work on it with you and by the time the kid can drive then hopefully the truck won't get trashed because the of all the work the kid put into it.

#11 ·
dkc1657 said:
Buy a wore-out truck for the kid, get the kid to work on it with you and by the time the kid can drive then hopefully the truck won't get trashed because the of all the work the kid put into it.
Actually, my boy has driven my rig. He has been a passenger since he was 6 months old and knows the sport quite well.. He bugs me about either building his rig, or go wheelin :smokin:

#13 ·
mine will enter this world on september 28th or thats what they are telling me..

i have i little rig planed for him when he gets here... or her.. the only difforence to me is black or pink paint...

im building a single seat tube chasis powered by a 22-r, w56, toy dual 5.1's, locked D-60's f&r and rear steer...
if he's anything like his daddy he will love that gas pedal and break some shit so im building it STOUT!!!!! :flipoff2:

#16 ·
I have a six week old as well and my only plans for her buggy are buying a PRP kids seat for the back of MY buggy. We'll worry about something for her when she gets older and shows me what she wants/likes.

#17 ·
Rock Toy said:
I have a six week old as well and my only plans for her buggy are buying a PRP kids seat for the back of MY buggy. We'll worry about something for her when she gets older and shows me what she wants/likes.

i plan on getting mine to help me build it.....
ill do up the chassis and most all the big stuff but ill let him get his hands dirty..

ill have the only 3 year old welding people's rigs on the trail for money... :flipoff2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.