Pirate 4x4 banner

My new SAS won't ride level

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  alienjeep 
#1 ·
Ok. I just finished my SAS on my 99 Taco the normal way. 44044's up front, Chevies in the rear. I used poly bushings for all my shackles and mounts. When we first took it off the jack stands it sat perfectly level. However, after driving it, it leans down towards the drivers side. It's about 1" lower on the drivers side measured at the front spring hanger. We even tested the suspension by trying a shorter shackle on the passenger side, but it didn't make much difference. Is it possible the bushings are binding in the spring hanger and the shackles. I'll admit, they're tight. The bushing is the same width as the bushing sleave. I've double and triple checked the location of the hangers from the front and rear and they're square.

Help me out guys.

#2 · (Edited)
If you used a toy front axle the spring pads are not even causing the truck to lean like you have noticed.

CRS straight from all pros site

Spring pad Factory front springs are different for the left and right sides of the vehicle. This is due to the higher spring mounting pad on the right side of the front axle. We provide a 3/8" spacer pad for the left side of the axle. This raises the pad to the same height as the right side and allows for the use of identical left and right front springs. The spring pad spacer should be welded to the drivers side of the front axle, directly under the leaf spring. The spring pad hole should line up with the factory spring pin hole. The front and rear of the pad should be welded to the housing in order to prevent the pad from moving. It is not necessary weld the sides of the pad.

#5 ·
some springs are "left"/"right" due to fuel load and torque of engine/running gear--
most chevy springs ARE L/R. and marked as such.

#9 ·
Especially if you have a spooled rear, it will load up the suspension alot when you make a turn, I have come into a parking lot with my old Cruiser (4" SUA) and actually got out and listened to the tire barking as the stiff ass springs were unloading. I could only imagine if someone walked by that had no clue and the damn truck was chirping tires with no one in it!!!

#11 ·
could be. if you pull the springs you can clearance the poly bushings a little by freezing them and hitting them carefully with a disc sander. assume you're using nylocs or similar so you're not pinching the heck out of everything. grease or fluid film before reinstall.

#12 ·
ALL tacomas lean towards the drivers side, even in stock form but when stock you don't notice.
why does it lean? no real answer yet, some people say that is because the gas tank is on that side.
is just a factory defect live with it and don't worry about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.