Pirate 4x4 banner

taco t case-to-tranny coupler removal

740 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  TURNSTYLE 
#1 ·
in the process of installin marlin dual cases and cannot seem to get the t case-to-tranny coupler to come off, i bought a gear/bearing puller but there is nothing on the coupler for it to grip to and the arms just slide up when i tighten the center shaft on the puller, this is the only thing i to do and before i have the cases mated to eachother, please help!!!! thanks in advance

turner

#2 · (Edited)
Is it all still in the rig and you're trying to separate the t-case and tranny? Or did you drop the whole thing to do the clutch like you were talking about?

If you have all the bolts out you should be able to just pull the t-case off of the tranny.

You should be trying to separate them at the red line, not the yellow one (see picture). I assume that's what you're doing.

Give me a call tomorrow and I might be able to swing by and help out if you need it.

EDIT: I just re-read your post and it sorta sounds like you have them apart and you're having trouble with something else. I don't know shit about Tacomas.

#3 ·
TURNSTYLE said:
in the process of installin marlin dual cases and cannot seem to get the t case-to-tranny coupler to come off, i bought a gear/bearing puller but there is nothing on the coupler for it to grip to and the arms just slide up when i tighten the center shaft on the puller, this is the only thing i to do and before i have the cases mated to eachother, please help!!!! thanks in advance

turner
I used a cheapie bearing splitter and it came right off.

Later,
....Mike
http://www.toy4x4.net/

#4 ·
BeaterToyota said:
Is it all still in the rig and you're trying to separate the t-case and tranny? Or did you drop the whole thing to do the clutch like you were talking about?

If you have all the bolts out you should be able to just pull the t-case off of the tranny.

You should be trying to separate them at the red line, not the yellow one (see picture). I assume that's what you're doing.

Give me a call tomorrow and I might be able to swing by and help out if you need it.

EDIT: I just re-read your post and it sorta sounds like you have them apart and you're having trouble with something else. I don't know shit about Tacomas.

nah i got the t case out of the truck, its sittin up on my work bench, my prob is that there is a factory coupler that connects the tranny output to the t case input, the MC09 comes with a different coupler that connects the 2 t cases (its already in the crawler) so the factory coupler has to come off

heres an idea, lemme know what ya'll think, what if i grind a little lip in the coupler so the arms of the puller have something to catch on, the coupler wont be reused, what do you think?

turner

#5 ·
tacomamike said:
I used a cheapie bearing splitter and it came right off.

Later,
....Mike
http://www.toy4x4.net/
got any pics of how you did it? another thing im unsure about is what part the exposed shaft is the coupler and what part isnt, im kinda worried about clamping that puller down on something that i need

turner

#7 ·
#8 ·
Couple ways to do this. On ours Igot the handy vise-grips, and grabbed the splines and outside, so only about 1/4" open on the jaws. Then hit the jaws with a hammer, pounding it off. You will have to re-set the grips a couple times. Another way, is tack weld a big nut in the end of the coupler. Then run a long bolt through it to drive the coupler off.

#10 · (Edited)
thanks guys, i actually found a place near home that was selling a bearing splitter kit, on sale from $179 to $69 so i had to pick it up, the coupler is off but now i have a new prob, when the MC09, reduction box, and factory t case are bolted together, the factory case wont shift into N or 4L, theres not a whole of info on MC09 installs out there and cant seem to find out weather or not i have to cut a little of the shift rod, anyone know? my junk is a 2.7L 5spd and the factory case is a top shifting unit, if i cant figure it out ill call marlin on monday but id like to get this all put together today, thanks again guys

turner

#11 ·
again guys thanks for the suggestions on the coupler, i called dave over at marlin crawler today to ask about the rear case not shifting and he told me to look at teh MC09 and see if there were any marks on the inside where the shift rod might have been hitting the adapter and sure enough that was the prob, about 5 mins with the dremel and everything shift just fine

turner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.