Pirate 4x4 banner

drillin PS pump out for hyrdro assist?

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  seafarinman 
#1 ·
i thought it was in the FAQ but all i found was how to tap the box and some part numbers for fittings. isnt there a thread about drilling out the pump to get more flow inorder to make hydro assist work better?

#2 ·
I spent a good hour plus searching or should I say attempting to search for this exact topic last week. Im needing to do the exact same thing.

#4 ·
#5 ·
i don't know if there is a thread about it already, but there is now. :D Drilling out the high pressure fitting in the pump makes a big difference in the flow, therefore the speed of your system with a ram on it. It's as simple as unscrewing the high pressure line from the pump, unscrewing the larger hex fitting under that, pulling it out and running a drill bit through it. Clean it out, reassemble, and enjoy your new steering speed.

You don't have to go much larger to make a big difference. Also, some pumps have a restrictor plate in there, so you might not even need to enlarge the bore at all, just remove (or drill through) the restrictor.

#12 ·
seafarinman said:
I am replacing my ram on my hydro assist and was wondering how I know which port on the steering box steers left and right? I don't want to have to waste a whole bunch of fluid through trial and error. Any ideas? Thanks.
Uhh... wouldn't you just hook up the new one just like the one you are taking off? :confused: :shaking:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.