Pirate 4x4 banner

Throwout bearing check

551 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Travis03TJ 
#1 ·
This is the only Throwout bearing (clutch release bearing) I could find at the parts stores. They assured me it will work, but I wanted to ask around, since they seem so different

old one on left, new one on right

back view

edit: ID is the same, so pressing it on the hub won't be an issue. the contact patch being smaller is what worries me

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Gee, I dunno...sure looks wimpier.

I just yesterday pressed on the one that came with Marlin's clutch kit. Made in Japan, looked just like the old one.

BTW, used a neat trick I read about here to get the pilot bearing out: Fill the cavity behind it with grease, wack an appropriate diameter bolt into the hole. Pretty cool.

#3 ·
yeah, i just used that trick 30 seconds ago to remove the pilot bearing. took a couple iterations though. whack it with clutch alignment tool inserted, it shifted partially out, add more grease, whack it again, etc.
worked great

i'm just a little worried about the throwout bearing though. I'd really like to get the engine back into the truck today, and that's the only one I could find.
well, I guess I'll try it and keep my fingers crossed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.