Pirate 4x4 banner

Longfield 4340 chromo 27spline broke?

4K views 46 replies 31 participants last post by  slug 
#1 ·
i have only been running since last october and i have yet to brake a birfield yet. so i am a newbie at breaking birfs.
before i tds i installled the 4340 27pline longfields. at tds i broke my outputshaft. also, my front housing was bent a little so i took it apart and got a new one. when i went to grab my axels, i noticed that the longfield is really tight and its hard to henge the axel in the longfield back and forth. its almost binding. also, the star is loose and has alot of slack. it is the same way on both sides. so my question is: should i just throw them back in and forget about it? and is this normal wear? or did i catch them right before they broke and i should replace them?

#2 ·
longs

I've heard of the stars getting manipulated a bit, I say run, and if you break one, you are the man!! :D

#4 ·
is this manipulated?

it moves freely back forth that much on both longfields. also, it take all my body weight to move the axel inside the birf 2 of the 4 direcitons in the birf, its a little easier to move it the other 2 directions.

#8 ·
NCtoy76 said:
yes we have the same problem,, the only good longfield was the weld ring ones IMO, my wheeling group have broke and mangled hes other birs,,,,i think iam goning to state making the ringed ones my self, if i can get good $ on the cryno treatment

Ever though about proof reading before you click submit. :flipoff2:

When you say " we have the same problem", you are talking about the chromo longs, correct?

#9 · (Edited)
rockota said:
doesn't look like the welded ring would make a hill of bean difference in the instance above - from the pics, the ball appears fine. It's the star that may be roken, which bobby has stated over and over is the same strength as previous.

Can you referance a post where he has stated this. I just checked his website and in the description of the chromo birfs it says that the cage and race are 300m. I don't think the good old longs had a 300m star or cage???
I know it doesn't say that this is stonger, but I would assume that is why he would make them from 300m

#10 ·
a2b said:
is this manipulated?

it moves freely back forth that much on both longfields. also, it take all my body weight to move the axel inside the birf 2 of the 4 direcitons in the birf, its a little easier to move it the other 2 directions.
Sorry about the troubles with the Longfields, best thing to do is call me and send them to me, we will fix them or give you some new ones. No one has broke one yet, i see you have good greese in them don't know what it could be.THANKS BOBBY :)

Are you welded in front or a locker?

#11 ·
Longfield said:
Sorry about the troubles with the Longfields, best thing to do is call me and send them to me, we will fix them or give you some new ones. No one has broke one yet, i see you have good greese in them don't know what it could be.THANKS BOBBY :)

Are you welded in front or a locker?
so thats not good huh? i was hoping it was normal and i could put it back in a go wheelin :D

but thats cool. i have back up longfields. i am going to calico this weekend and i will use those.

bobby, i have an arb up front :)

#13 ·
Longfield said:
Yes sometimes they get tight. When you first greese them be sure to pack the birf FULL of greese, not just a little around the balls. Call me know if you want 253-847-8254 :)
Way to stand behind your product bobby!!!! you just made me very glad that i chose to run your 30 spliners.... :bounce2:

#15 ·
Uh oh, now I'm nervous. I just put my 30 splines in and they too seemed tight. However I could swing them side to side, but they were noticeably tighter than any others. The stars seemed a bit loose and you could almost rattle them. I took it out for a test putt yesterday but didn't do anything hard. However I did hear a bang come from my passenger side. Don't know what it was, but everything seems fine so far.
When I installed them and was doing the fish scale thing, I had the hubs locked and tie-rod off, I turned the hub and turned the knuckle at the same time and could feel them bind when turned. I figured that it's a break-in thing, I hope!

#17 ·
after talking to bobby, we decided to put them back in and see what happens. i am runing calico this next week and then at the jambo, i am showing up tuesday to do a hammer-a-thon. we want to run every trail before friday. so if they hold up during all that, i will assume they are just fine :D if not, bobby says he'll be at the jambo with some replacements :) thanks bobby!!!

#19 ·
Hammer Hog said:
Uh oh, now I'm nervous. I just put my 30 splines in and they too seemed tight. However I could swing them side to side, but they were noticeably tighter than any others. The stars seemed a bit loose and you could almost rattle them. I took it out for a test putt yesterday but didn't do anything hard. However I did hear a bang come from my passenger side. Don't know what it was, but everything seems fine so far.
When I installed them and was doing the fish scale thing, I had the hubs locked and tie-rod off, I turned the hub and turned the knuckle at the same time and could feel them bind when turned. I figured that it's a break-in thing, I hope!

i have this same for lack of a better word issue...
they are tight and the stars are alittle loose but there dosnt seem to be any problem with them... these things are solid!!!! :massey:

#20 ·
update:
i ran last weekend with no problems from the birf. i did get bound up and my rear drive shaft broke. the coupler gave way. so far so good.

hammers: coming up! :D

#21 ·
i saw this thread and thought I would ask,,,I have 30 spline bobbys..I have had them in sence last oct..I am now getting a slight popping sound from the left and right front outter hubs ..I doubt its the hubs..more sounds like its from the birf and I just hear it from the bub..Anyone else hear this?Almost sounds as if the axle is bottoming out on the birf??worries?ideas??I have been running them hard and really don't worry about the noise..i just wonder if anyone know what it is?

#22 ·
mr4x42u said:
i saw this thread and thought I would ask,,,I have 30 spline bobbys..I have had them in sence last oct..I am now getting a slight popping sound from the left and right front outter hubs ..I doubt its the hubs..more sounds like its from the birf and I just hear it from the bub..Anyone else hear this?Almost sounds as if the axle is bottoming out on the birf??worries?ideas??I have been running them hard and really don't worry about the noise..i just wonder if anyone know what it is?
Pull the front end apart and check.

#23 ·
mr4x42u said:
Did you Mar-tack your axle shafts?

#26 ·
they need no martack..they have a clip and they can't slip into the birf because of a lip..Its not all the time..just wondering if others hear the same thing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.