Pirate 4x4 banner

Bolts or studs....

453 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Brian Ellinger 
#1 ·
Yeah, I searched, but nothing directly answered my Q. A stud on my steering arm failed yesterday (I caught it before all 4 failed). My question is; Could a person use a G8 bolt AND the lock and cone washers instead of the stud and the lock and cone washers???? All the topics I found during my search was about using bolts WITHOUT the cone washers. Does it have to be a stud and NOT a bolt? If I were to use a bolt/lock/cone combo why would it be different from a stud/nut/lock/cone combo? I ain't against buying the upgraded stud kit, just need a 'lil enlightenment.

#2 ·
This is going to get confusing...

With as bolt, you are trying to turn the shank inside that cone washer, that as you tighten is trying to pinch the bolt, and the tapered hole, to keep the bolt from turning.

With a stud, you are turning the nut, and compressing the cone. Torqued the same amount, you will have much greater clamping force with a stud than a bolt with those cones in there.

Oh, we've got the bling stud kits you need just waiting for their new home!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.