Pirate 4x4 banner

5th knuckle stud upgrade

8K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Longfield 
#1 ·
After a year of broken knuckle studs It was time for an upgrade.

I bought 9/16 Dana 44 stud kit and welded some meat for the 5th stud. The block on the knuckle was welded following cast welding procedure and then passed trough stress releif and checked for cracks. The block was after mill to the same plan. And a nice set of 30 spline waiting for abuse :smokin:

After we re-tapered the steering arm to accept the new tapered washers using a modified 1 inch end mill. Knuckles were then tap for the 9/16 studs and my friend even did the bottom one :idea: .

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Everything was then bolted in place with proper shims. I deceide to reassemble all the front end and only weld the 5th stud sections to the steering arms in the end. I hope these sukers wont loose or break anymore :mad3:

I also changed my rear housing after realize it was bent pretty bad and both wheel bearings were damage. I built a small truss on top to prevent future bend. While beiing there I putted front toy disk and Samurai calipers.

Attachments

#4 ·
They are front Samurai calipers and the bracket are 1/2 flat bar and it hold up by 3 of the 4 bolts at the end of the housing. Because it's a buggy and I don't do alot of speed driving, I don't find the need for a proportionning valve. The harder part of this setup is fitting the front toyota disk on the rear axle. You need to oversize the center of the disk and grind or machine the axle flange so the disk sits correctly...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.