Pirate 4x4 banner

Exhaust manifold bolts and DSPO's

447 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  frozen 
#1 ·
Just picked up an 87 deluxe pickup with a 22r engine in it. I noticed an exhaust leak, and started looking around. I noticed that all the studs (with the exception of 2) on the exhaust manifold had been replaced with bolts, and that none of the bolts were very tight. I pulled one off to look at it, and noticed some aluminum in the threads. The bolts that the DSPO used were not only 10x1.5 (while the original studs were 10x1.25 I believe) but they bolts used were too short and only engaged a couple of threads. I bought a new longer bolt and it appeared to find some good threads and appeared to hold. I didn't really torque down on it too much.

So I have the header off, new gaskets and I picked up new studs (toyota thinks they are made of gold or something. Way too expensive) and as an alternative, I have a set of longer bolts.

I would like to not have to helicoil the head if I can avoid it. Can I simply run the proper tap down the holes to straighten the threads and then use the studs, or should I go for the bolt approach and hope that the threads at the bottom of the holes hold? Or is the proper fix to helicoil it?

Thanks for the help

BTW, first post and all, I should probably say hi.

-frozen

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.