Pirate 4x4 banner

'85 Pickup and Oil/Grease

706 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  mudratz 
#1 ·
I looked at an '85 pickup last night and it had old oil all over the bottom of the oil pan and motor and birfs had a lot of grease around them. Of course all mixed with road grime and dirt. Is this common for these trucks? I haven't talked with the owner yet, hopefully I'll talk with him today to pick his brain about it. He's asking $1900 the frame is in good shape, body is better than most i've seen and unless I'm an idiot I think the odometer said 84,xxx miles. Also state inspected. Fair price?? Sorry about the noob questions, just don't want to get into something that is worse than it looks.

#3 ·
TiTRD said:
I looked at an '85 pickup last night and it had old oil all over the bottom of the oil pan and motor and birfs had a lot of grease around them. Of course all mixed with road grime and dirt. Is this common for these trucks? I haven't talked with the owner yet, hopefully I'll talk with him today to pick his brain about it. He's asking $1900 the frame is in good shape, body is better than most i've seen and unless I'm an idiot I think the odometer said 84,xxx miles. Also state inspected. Fair price?? Sorry about the noob questions, just don't want to get into something that is worse than it looks.
Yes, it is common. I do not know that much about the 22r series engines but the common places for leaks is the front engine seal, pan sealing, timing cover, O-ring at the distributor, and the valve cover. The front end is a pretty easy fix just requires time and a complete re-seal. You can get kits from Marlin or All-Pro for about one hundred dollars.

Eighteen hundred seems like a good price if the mileage is that low and the body and frame are in good shape. Offer him fifteen you can always go up. :grinpimp:

#4 · (Edited)
I just talked to him this morning and he said was possibly the timing cover or the valve cover and the mileage is correct. He said he's had it about a year and half and they guy who had it before him used it haul brush and stuff to the dump at a local business park. I'll drive it tonight.

#5 ·
My '85 has a good coating of oil and grease across the underside. Not really leaking anything, except out of the knuckles. Have to get around to rebuilding the seals on those this Spring. But a twenty year old vehicle will ooze a certain amount of fluids past seals without actually being a problem. I also have a pretty good coating of grease above every u-joint from twenty years of spinning the grease off the driveshafts.

I'd really look at the frame. A couple years ago I went to patch up a couple small holes to get it to pass inspection. I ended up finding holes that were pretty much only covered by the paint holding the rust scale together. Take a small hammer and tap along the frame listening for areas that don't "ring" right when you hit them. I ended up with a four inch by eighteen inch hole in the outside of the frame rail below the passenger door where I had no idea I had any problems.

#6 ·
Oil leak

I have an 85 Runner that leaked oil faster than I could put it in. If I parked somewhere for 5 minutes, it would leave a small puddle. And that is a lot for just 5 minutes considering there are 1440 minutes a day. I tightened the oil pan, and that helped, but it still leaked. I then changed the oil pan gasket and that was it. Now, not a drop. It is a good thing I did that too. The oil pan had all the broken parts from a previous timing chain guide.
It does not take much of an oil leak to make the undercarriage look like it has been dunked in the stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.