Pirate 4x4 banner

1mz-fe engine swap?

11K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Supra Beast 
#1 ·
I'm contemplating an engine swap in my '91 Xtra Cab. Lots of options to choose from, but the one I'm curious about hasn't been mentioned. It is the 1MZ-FE out of mid- to late-90's Camrys. Take a look at this dyno plot: http://bedellracing.home.comcast.net/v6/img/dyno.jpg

This plot is from an MR2 that received the engine swap. As shown, the motor is essentially a stock 1MZ with a TRD S/C and headers. Not bad, huh? The 1MZ is an all-aluminum, lightweight Toyota engine with this kind of potential. Why hasn't anyone swapped one into a truck yet?

What am I missing?
-Mark

#4 ·
those motors are known to produce excessive amounts of sludge. Also are a pian just to do headgaskets on. they put out plenty of top end power, mainly cause of the dual overhead cam. so if you like to Kepp your r's up while off road it will work for you.

But problem is there really isn't a rear wheel drive bell housing for this thing which makes it tough to try and find a bell housing or adapter to bolt it to a l,g,w, or r trans in any truck. And you would need a fly wheel to bolt to it, and I am not sure how many v-6 5 speed camrys and lexus es300's there are out there. only 5 speed camry's I ever see are 2.2 4 cylinders.

#5 ·
this is interesting, as with most things toyota, there is usually a way to do anything.

some time ago, I discovered that the 3S-GTE will hook to a bellhousing from older rwd corollas that had longitudinal s series motors and (I think) g series transmissions.
if an MR-2 transaxle will hook to the 1MZ-FE motor, then you may be home free by implication.

the bitch of the swap will lie in the exhaust and that you will most likely need to fab cutom headers to make it all for. I don't know if you have a 3V-ZE in your 91, but that's a tight fit to begin with. cutom headers would be a challenge.

go look on yotatech.com. someone there tried to fit the 4 cam camry heads on stock truck V6. I don't know how far he got with it.

#7 ·
I agree. The motors dont develop sludge. The owners of the sludge motors developed the sludge by not ever changing the fawking oil. I'm a Toyota Tech at a local dealership, and I see 'em all the time. The headgaskets aren't too bad either...just hard to get the back head off when working on a Camry, Avalon, or Sienna.

Also agree that they're not for use in trucks...not enough low end torque for wheeling. Stick with a 5VZ and a blower OR buy a tow rig and keep your 22R.

Ryan

#8 ·
are you fawkin mad? a camry motor, never been done, send pics :D

seriously for you guys that want to swap this late model stuff into your piles, that is the 2uzfe, 1grfe, the camry v-6, these motors are very picky with emission related leaks, catalytic convertors operating properly, and the sensors are expensive. you toyota having problems getting the AF sensor out of pretty much everything now adays? I cant count how many times i had to replace manifolds on the rav's because of this. the af sensor are near 400 bucks customer cost so keep that in mind when swapping the late model motors. nothing is cheap, go with the 3.4 motor, much better.

#9 ·
are you fawkin mad? a camry motor, never been done, send pics :D

seriously for you guys that want to swap this late model stuff into your piles, that is the 2uzfe, 1grfe, the camry v-6, these motors are very picky with emission related leaks, catalytic convertors operating properly, and the sensors are expensive. you toyota techs having problems getting the AF sensors out of pretty much everything now adays? I cant count how many times i had to replace manifolds on the rav's because of this. the af sensor are near 400 bucks customer cost so keep that in mind when swapping the late model motors. nothing is cheap, go with the 3.4 motor, much better.

#10 ·
GO SUPRA
it bolt right to the w-56 and motor mounts
mad power and tons of potential
I am rebuilding my supra motor right now and expect 300 hp from a mild mild up
DOHC it was crazy torque and mad revs stock red line is 6500 rpms
I hope my licence lives through the new power

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.