Pirate 4x4 banner

header install ? blocking extra smog tubes?

774 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Lowtorious 
#1 · (Edited)
putting my thorley header on my 87 carbed truck. I don't remember having these tubes on my efi 4 runner when i did the header swap.

there are 2 tubes running from the backside of the engine attaching to the exhuast manifold. They attach to a flange at the back of the motor.Can i just make a block plate for these tubes and leave the rest of the stuff they hook up to?

What about the piece of flex tube from the header to the air cleaner?

Not worried about smog.

I searched but all posts went of on tangents unrelated to the answer.

#4 ·
Pook said:
Can i just make a block plate for these tubes and leave the rest of the stuff they hook up to?

QUOTE]

Yes you can block them. the tubes that go around the engine re-circulates exhaust gas... Just block them so dirt and water can`t go in.

#7 · (Edited)
I just used the kiss principle. I cut off the tubes and welded the holes shut.

They were off the vehicle when I welded them though. I just grind the area you are gonna weld clean then start on high heat weld from the outside and work inwards. Grind the back of it smooth done deal.

#9 ·
Lowtorious said:
Got a part # for the block off plates??
Don't have the plate #, but the gaskets are 17378-35020. The parts guy should be able to look them up on the computer, they are pictured on the same screen as the gaskets.

I had mine off to clean out/open up the EGR ports so I could pass smog, the NOx readings were too high.

#11 ·
934RNR said:
I just used the kiss principle. I cut off the tubes and welded the holes shut.
QUOTE]

I should have done this in the first place but I was worried about warping the plates (stupid on my part). Instead, I welded the end flange shut on the tube assembly (where it would have bolted to the other tube that goes behind the motor. I've removed ALL the EGR equipment off my motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.