Pirate 4x4 banner

reverse front driveshaft

2K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  cruiser25 
#1 · (Edited)
i want to make my front diff a high pinion. for 2 reasons, the gears will be going the proper direction thus making the diff stronger, and i will have a high pinion. i realize i will have to moddify the axle housing. the second proboblem is the front drive drive shaft will need to be turing the opposite direction. if i get the driveshaft to turn opposite will this theory work? what needs to be done to the Tcase to get the front drive shaft to turn the opposite direction?

#2 ·
Buy a hi-pinion diff from an 80-series land cruiser and you won't have to do a damn thing besides gear it and stick it in!

If you figure out how to get your driveshaft to turn the opposite direction though, please let us know, that should be interesting(an no, putting it in reverse doesn't count :flipoff2: )

Ary

#5 ·
Just redrill and tap the housing to fit the third upside down, take the driveshaft off and flip it around and you are done. ........ :rolleyes:

:D DOn't believe everything you hear on it being WAY stronger. just put a diff, any diff in there and run it. You will be fine. If you want to go all out go FJ80 high pinion. but it is not needed.

#8 · (Edited)
Jared Ajlouny said:
the difference with this and high pinion out of a fj 80 is that this with a v6 3rd will be way stronger, the gears will be spinning the correct direction instead of revrse all the time
The low pinion diff spins in the correct direction, it just spins on the coast side of the gears. If you flipped it upside down, you would (like you said) be running backwards. To counter act this, you would need to redesign the T-Case to add either another intermediate gear between the drive gears on the front and rear outputs, or eliminate the one that's there currently, and figure out how to directly link the two output drive gears. Maybe adapt some sort of chain/belt drive. This would make your front driveshaft spin the way you want, but would be significantly weaker than stock (IMHO).

You could redesin the front diff, so that the carrier would flipped to the opposite side of the housing. So the housing would stay upside down, but the ring gear would be back into its original position. The reason you would have to redesign the housing, is because the pinion gear is not centered. It's offset, and there isn't enough clearance for the ring gear on the other side of the diff. Once you got done, you would have essentially designed the highpinion diff already in existance.

You could contract on a major gear manufacturer to design and cut you a set of one-off reverse rotation gears. "IF" they would even do such a one time thing, the cost would seriously outweigh the cost of a highpinion diff.

Or, you could turn the entire drive line around backwards (including flipping your rear diff as well), putting your engine in the back, having your tranny face backwards, and essentially moving your rear output to the front. You will have 1 forward gear, and several backward gears. This I would like to see, because I think it would be hilarious to see someone doin 60 MPH backwards to and from the trail head. Hell I'd ride in it just for grins. But to do it properly though you would need to figure out someway to flip the gear sets around. This will also either require some interesting driveline work, or else retubing your Axle housings (front out put will now be in the center, and rear will be offset). It's a difficult concept to grasp (for me atleast), and it took several friends explaining it to me with a vehicle set-up like this in front of me, to fully understand it.

Then there's the oiling issue. The highpinion diff is designed with an oil slinger washer that dips into a cup to oil the pinion bearings. This cup is in the casting. This cup doesn't exist on the v6 housings. So I would imagine you would have issues with keepeing all of your bearings happy. You could overfill the diffs, but no guarantees that they would last very long as daily driven diffs, or even bombing around in the desert.

Now all of this would cost insane amounts of money, and a highpinion would be a hell of a lot cheaper. Or (as previously stated), you can run low pinion stuff, and see how long it takes to break. You might be surprised.

#9 ·
Holy sh-t I just realized what this guy was asking.

You can go buy an fj-80 high pinion diff from a part yard for about the same amount of money as you can get a v6 rear third, or just go wheel what you got.

Sometimes it is a good idea to think outside of the box, this is not one of those times.

#11 ·
pr0ject42 said:
Holy sh-t I just realized what this guy was asking.

You can go buy an fj-80 high pinion diff from a part yard for about the same amount of money as you can get a v6 rear third, or just go wheel what you got.

Sometimes it is a good idea to think outside of the box, this is not one of those times.
i don't know about you, but i've never seen a cruiser in a wrecking yard. hell, i've only seen 1 toyota 4x4 in a yard here...

#12 ·
Of course he could "flip" the front diff to "make" it a HP. All he would have to do is add a divorced tranny onto the t-case front output and lock the divorced tranny into reverse. From there it's just a simple matter of re-gearing the front diff to overcome the reduction caused by the d-tranny being in reverse. See how easy it is....... :flipoff2:

#13 ·
kyle_22r said:
i don't know about you, but i've never seen a cruiser in a wrecking yard. hell, i've only seen 1 toyota 4x4 in a yard here...
1-412-782-5580

Bam, call these guys and ask about a front carrier for a 1995 land cruiser. They should quote you $275. Then you have to pay to ship it, but that won't be more than $50.

Was that so bad?

#14 ·
FrankenToy said:
Of course he could "flip" the front diff to "make" it a HP. All he would have to do is add a divorced tranny onto the t-case front output and lock the divorced tranny into reverse. From there it's just a simple matter of re-gearing the front diff to overcome the reduction caused by the d-tranny being in reverse. See how easy it is....... :flipoff2:
:laughing: good comedy :D :laughing:

make drive shaft turn in reverse, what a Dumbass :shaking: :laughing:

Think before you post :flipoff2:

#21 ·
did any of you even read what is being discussed? im not asking about a high pinion out of a land cruiser, i was wondering about one out of a regualr 4cyl 3rd. some of you losers just sit on here all day and post whore.. WAY TO GO!!! it makes you 10X more a man!!!! :confused: :laughing: :shaking: :rolleyes:

#22 ·
I have done this same thing several times and its a lot cheaper than buying the high pinion. Just call Jess at High Angle Drive Line and ask for a reverse rotation drive shaft. Problem solevd. :shaking: :shaking: :shaking: :shaking:

#23 ·
You don't need to modify the axle housing. Remove the entire axle from the truck flip the axle over and re-install......... easy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

wait....

or....

Remove the truck from the axle and flip the truck over, then re-install the axle :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

#24 ·
montezuma said:
The low pinion diff spins in the correct direction, it just spins on the coast side of the gears. If you flipped it upside down, you would (like you said) be running backwards. To counter act this, you would need to redesign the T-Case to add either another intermediate gear between the drive gears on the front and rear outputs, or eliminate the one that's there currently, and figure out how to directly link the two output drive gears. Maybe adapt some sort of chain/belt drive. This would make your front driveshaft spin the way you want, but would be significantly weaker than stock (IMHO).

You could redesin the front diff, so that the carrier would flipped to the opposite side of the housing. So the housing would stay upside down, but the ring gear would be back into its original position. The reason you would have to redesign the housing, is because the pinion gear is not centered. It's offset, and there isn't enough clearance for the ring gear on the other side of the diff. Once you got done, you would have essentially designed the highpinion diff already in existance.

You could contract on a major gear manufacturer to design and cut you a set of one-off reverse rotation gears. "IF" they would even do such a one time thing, the cost would seriously outweigh the cost of a highpinion diff.

Or, you could turn the entire drive line around backwards (including flipping your rear diff as well), putting your engine in the back, having your tranny face backwards, and essentially moving your rear output to the front. You will have 1 forward gear, and several backward gears. This I would like to see, because I think it would be hilarious to see someone doin 60 MPH backwards to and from the trail head. Hell I'd ride in it just for grins. But to do it properly though you would need to figure out someway to flip the gear sets around. This will also either require some interesting driveline work, or else retubing your Axle housings (front out put will now be in the center, and rear will be offset). It's a difficult concept to grasp (for me atleast), and it took several friends explaining it to me with a vehicle set-up like this in front of me, to fully understand it.

Then there's the oiling issue. The highpinion diff is designed with an oil slinger washer that dips into a cup to oil the pinion bearings. This cup is in the casting. This cup doesn't exist on the v6 housings. So I would imagine you would have issues with keepeing all of your bearings happy. You could overfill the diffs, but no guarantees that they would last very long as daily driven diffs, or even bombing around in the desert.

Now all of this would cost insane amounts of money, and a highpinion would be a hell of a lot cheaper. Or (as previously stated), you can run low pinion stuff, and see how long it takes to break. You might be surprised.
you spent entirely too much effort on this newb cullen. :laughing:

#25 ·
I just sort of ran with the idea :D .

I don't think there's anything wrong with what he asked. Having more knowledge is almost never a bad thing. While I don't personally think that putting a diff in upside down to try and save on a highpinion would be the greatest move in the world, understanding concepts is a good thing. I never understood this stuff until about two weeks ago. Then a few people explained it to me. It really makes you think.

#26 ·
Jared Ajlouny said:
did any of you even read what is being discussed? im not asking about a high pinion out of a land cruiser, i was wondering about one out of a regualr 4cyl 3rd. some of you losers just sit on here all day and post whore.. WAY TO GO!!! it makes you 10X more a man!!!! :confused: :laughing: :shaking: :rolleyes:
yeah, you want to take a normal rotation 3rd - rotate it, and make the driveshaft turn ass backwards.
HP centers use reverse cut gears because it's basically infesible to make the driveshafts turn opposite from eachother.

When is the week going to have only 1 Tuesday in it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.