Pirate 4x4 banner

what locker u runnin on LONG chromo 30's

627 views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Lemoore-on 
#1 ·
what lockers are you guys running on your Longfield 30 spline chromos???? i wanna know for some decisions i have to make about an upcoming build.

also, if you can throw down what engine/HP you got that would gimme some ideas too!!!!

thanks, riggs

#3 ·
it'd be safer to run a full detroit with the 30 spliners, as if a front shaft breaks it often takes out the detroit. however with any other locker i dont think it'd matter.

#4 ·
i was just talking with Bobby on the phone and he suggested not running spools with any axles....cause there is absolutely no give whatsoever. he said you're better off running a detroit cause they let the inside wheel turn slower in a hard over turn.

i've run ARB's in my TJ forever and always loved them...but since this buggy i'm building is just a weekend toy..i figured i'd just spool it.

so i wanna know what you guys are running....and what you're preference is and why. i searched around and found guys running all kinds of stuff....i just wanna know why they picked what they did.

#14 ·
22re @ 223:1 with 37 Xterrains and 37 mtrs. i run an arb up front cause if i keep it turned off the majority of the time the heat treated(ie soft metal) of the longfields doesnt wear out so quickly. im running the 30 spline 4340/300m stuff this season and dont really know if theyll last longer do to different materials?

i wouldnt run a detroit in front, itll be wasted with a stub shaft, hub or inner axle failure

#15 ·
You're pissing your money away if you run a Detroit up front IMO. I blew up two of them. First one was with the first gen of longs on stock inners. Completely blew the piece with all the little teeth on it into pieces. Second one was with allpro chromo inners which I still run. 4WPW warrantied both, and I sold them. I'm welded front and rear. Yeah the steering sucks, but it's a toyota and it's only going to turn so much anyway. The ARB is the best setup IMO if you have the $. The main thing with toys is to keep the weight down to minimize breakage.

#17 ·
jriggs said:
i was just talking with Bobby on the phone and he suggested not running spools with any axles....cause there is absolutely no give whatsoever. he said you're better off running a detroit cause they let the inside wheel turn slower in a hard over turn.
Detroits will not let a wheel turn slower. They will let a wheel spin faster (the outside wheel in a turn). When I swapped my spool to the front 2 years ago, in slow speed crawling on rock, I couldn't tell the difference, it was just as hard to turn. I added hydro assist to help minimize the effort, works great.

I'm now running spools on both ends, 22re slightly massaged, dual ultimate, 4.10's (27 spl chromos w/pigs). To me, if your worried about wear on your longs (or axles) the only choice would be a selectable locker (arb, toy electric). Otherwise, spools are just as good.

#19 ·
Welding or putting a spool in the front is the worst thing anybody can do. It is very hard on u-joints, birfields, hubs, and ring and pinions and also power steering. Spools front and rear is very hard on transfer cases. Even an ARB locker in front when you turn with it engaged is like a spool. If you make a hard turn just think the outside tire has to turn faster to keep up with the inside tire. If this makes sense. :)

#20 ·
Longfield said:
Welding or putting a spool in the front is the worst thing anybody can do. It is very hard on u-joints, birfields, hubs, and ring and pinions and also power steering. Spools front and rear is very hard on transfer cases. Even an ARB locker in front when you turn with it engaged is like a spool. If you make a hard turn just think the outside tire has to turn faster to keep up with the inside tire. If this makes sense. :)
hard on parts, best on traction :flipoff2:

#23 ·
well....this is what i'm thinking...

i'll be wetting this buggy up full hydro so steering won't be a problem. if i don't run a spool i'll be running an ARB cause i've used them for years and swear by em.....

i know the deal with inside/outside wheels speeds.....and i understand that when a birf DOES blow up it will most likey kill whatever locker you are running.....

i'd rather replace a $170 spool instead of a $600 ARB :D

it looks like i'll be spooling it......worst that could happen is that i get to break a 30 spile LONG....and brag about it. but i don't think my 16v sidekick motor is gonna throw down enough ponies to do that!!! HAHA!!!!

thanks a lot guys!!!

later, riggs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.