Pirate 4x4 banner

WTF! Replacing Alternator

759 views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  NY_crawler 
#1 ·
So my Alternator died on my 85 truck and I'm trying to replace it but I can't seem to get it out. I looked in the FSM and it said to drain the coolant and take the lower hose off. Is there a way to get it out with out draining the coolant?

#4 ·
Damn that sucks. I could swear when I had my 86 truck I never had to do this. If I move my IFS steering box forward do u think I might be able to avoid drianing the coolant next time? I might be able to move it forward about 2 more inches or so.

#10 ·
The FSM says to pull the head to do the timing chain too...

I swapped the alternator on an 85 in the parking lot of a dealer in dockers and a f'n button up shirt, without draining the coolant. (Out of town in my truck and couldn't make it home on just the battery). It's a squeeze, and it has to be turned just the right way to get it out... but it will come out. Getting the new one back in seemed easier. :D

#13 ·
I have never had to remove my lower hose on my 85 4runner, just wiggle it around and it will drop out. Ive done it that way with the old steering box and with my IFS box on it. Same way on a 92 p/u, just takes a tad to get it out. Its quicker with the hose out of the way though.

#15 ·
I broke both motor mounts like 9+ times is less than a yr. (welded & 1/2 GR 8 bolts)
just do it the easy way and take the off and out of the way
to do the drivers side mount I pull the radiater the hoses unbolt ps then the bracket. anti freeze is only $6 don't be stingy on ur self or ur truck
I learned that from this old mechanic I used to work for
spend the extra time and there is no frustration...Truely

#16 ·
Alternators on the two 85 runners I work on have more weight problems than Anna Nicole. Sometimes they slip out the bottom with no more than a good nudge, then sometimes you could stand on the things and they won't budge(not that I have actualy done that). Another option is to unbolt the fan and fan clutch, slide em out of the way and the alternator goes across in front of the engine and out near the battery. Of course you have to loosen the steering pump v-belt, but it makes getting the right tension on the alt belt a little easier.

#17 ·
you only need to pull the hose if you have power steering. and i don't know about some of you guys, but yanking the lower hose and draining the coolant is easier than undoing all the power steering crap...

#19 ·
kyle_22r said:
you only need to pull the hose if you have power steering. and i don't know about some of you guys, but yanking the lower hose and draining the coolant is easier than undoing all the power steering crap...
Sorry, but I'm with Kyle on this....

I dont know why its such a big deal, and why you guys go thru the hassle of unbolting a bunch of shit....

I usually go out and grab the bucket, open the drain, and then by the time I grab a beer, and a couple tools (about 10 mins), its all drained, loosen one clamp, pull one end of the hose (usually the end away from the radiator), shove it up out of the way, undo two bolts, unplug it, and drop out the alternator....

Takes all of about 10 mins actual work...Usually done by the time I finish one beer.... :)

#22 ·
Well Just to let you all know I grabbed the spare brushes out of the glove box and just unbolted it, flipped it on it's side right in there and replaced them. I also used some electric motor cleaner on the parts while it was open. Good to go now and did not have to drain the coolant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.