Pirate 4x4 banner

454 in a Yota?

2K views 34 replies 28 participants last post by  Lap Kitty :) 
#1 ·
Any of yall put a 454 in a Yota before? How much of a pain in the A$$ was it?

#7 ·
1stgenboy said:
I have an elephant ear 440 puttin' out over 600 ponies. I would love to put that in one of my trucks...I just don't think my drivers liscense would survive the experience though.... :p
NOR the TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!
If you want to go FAST, get a go fast MUSCLE CAR!!!!!!!!!!

#10 ·
Why.

I am more of a mud and trail kind of guy (have to be, no rocks around here).
And I know most of you are crawler guys that may not understand why in the world anyone would put a 454 in a Toyota, but the guys on this site know way more about Yotas than any other sites membership. I was just wanting to see what yall thought, if anyone had any info on how it could be done.

Thanks for the input.

#16 ·
No problem at all, just remove all sheet metal forward of the fire wall, build a frame for the radiator to hang off of and you have it licked. (until you twist the frame in half or bottom the suspension and tear out the front end or actually try to wheel it and trash the t-case, tranny, rear/front ends, hubs, drive lines and a few other hard parts)

#17 ·
my last worry would be about fitment in the engine bay...you can make it fit...the question is what kind of drivetrain do you plan to run??
I wouldnt run anything less than 60s front and rear...and gusset the frame
Remember, these trucks were built for 4cyl-6cyl.

#18 ·
drivetrain

I know I would have to run 60s or 2 1/2 tons :D and beef the frame. I would also run a Chevy tranny and t-case.

So why not just build a fulsize? Why take all of that and put it in a Yota?
Because it would be freakin cool!! :jester:

Just knock'in some ideas around.

#19 ·
I was going to to put a 400+ hp V8 in my 81 std shortbed but then I went Supra.
My research says the gear driven t-case can handle 400+
nitrious and slamming gear will brake stuff!!
It just depends on how smart you are with the stupid pedal!!!!!
where there is a welder there is a way!!!!

#20 ·
the only way i would wheel a full size would be like it was stolen BUT i don't steel

#24 ·
I think a BBC in a first or 2nd gen would be very difficult because of the steering. The left cyl head is gonna be right where the steering shaft is. That's a tough obstical to overcome. Tried to put a BBC in a '53 Chev PU once, couldn't figure out a decent way to re-route the steering.

#25 ·
There is a way to do it... I have a buddy with a 500 inch caddy in his 79 yota and it fit thight. The truck I have now, wich is a 83 had a bbc and it fit... TIGHT.. but it did work, just needed alot of radiator.

Jeff

#26 ·
FrankenToy said:
I think a BBC in a first or 2nd gen would be very difficult because of the steering. The left cyl head is gonna be right where the steering shaft is. That's a tough obstical to overcome. Tried to put a BBC in a '53 Chev PU once, couldn't figure out a decent way to re-route the steering.

He could do hydrolic steering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.