Pirate 4x4 banner

Rear "Marlin" Leaf conversion? 2gen 4runner

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  webilt 
#1 ·
2nd Gen 4runner
I have removed the fuel tank, and all of the rear coil spring suspension including the two crossmembers between the frame rails.
Before:

After:

I am planning to replace one of the crossmembers with a 3"x2"x.25" rectangle tube. This will be used to support the aft end of the fuel tank and exhaust system.
I am going to install an upper shock mount brace to replace the other crossmember.

I would like to see what others have done when installing a rear leaf conversion. Pics appreciated. Hersh had some good pictures of his rear leaf conversion, but not much mention of the replacement of the crossmembers.

I have a 2" body lift, and I plan to keep it. The pros have outweighed the cons. It will allow me to place my upper shock mount higher. I am also going to raise the fuel tank 2".

Will it matter whether I mount the upper shock mount directly above, or even slightly aft of the axle? Or should I mount them forward of the axle ( in the stock crossmember location)?

I would also like some measurements for placement of the spring hanger and shackle angle/placement. My rear axle is torn apart...waiting for arrival of new gears. so I cannot install the axles and wheels yet.

The rest of the buildup is being posted here:

Please help soon, so that my son, Charlie, can put the truck down.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That's the largest Pitot tube cover I have ever seen! I sure hope you remember to remove your son before driving! :)

Will it matter whether I mount the upper shock mount directly above, or even slightly aft of the axle? Or should I mount them forward of the axle ( in the stock crossmember location)?
To get full travel out of the springs you going to want to use a longer shock and angle it slightly off of vertical. Just don't go too radical on the angle. The further away from vertical you get, the less effective your shocks are.

#3 · (Edited)
I only removed the panhard crossmember on my bro in law's 4runner and replaced it with a 2x3x.120".

2x3x.250" is WAY overkill and just unecessary weight. The frame itself is only .120" wall on one side and top/bottom and .090" on the inside.

As for where to put the hangers, disassemble the springs and take out the main leaves, tack up the hangers, and mount the axle to the spring. Set the truck where you think it will end up at normal ride height and center your tire in the wheel well there by moving the hangers as necessary, and/or jack up the tire and make sure it stuffs in the wheel well centered so you have the most clearance.

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/pics/edsas.htm

There's a whole lotta crap to remove back there, huh!? :eek: :D
(way more than a SAS!)

#8 ·
Tank Lift

This is exactly the type of information I was looking for. :D
I have fabbed a new crossmember (3"x2"x.120 rectangle), and rear tank mount using angle iron and 1" square tube.
How did you do the fwd tank mount?
I am thinking about cutting the aft upper leg of the horshoe crossmember 2" above the stock tank mount location, and installing an angle for the fwd. mount flange. I am hoping to raise the tank 2".

I would like to see your upper shock mount. Where is it located in relation to the axle? (fwd. aft?)

I am also trying to figure out where and how to install a Wilwood brake proportion valve. I have rear disk (Monte Carlo) brakes. My 4runner is also equipped with rear ABS system. I am debating on whether to deactivate the ABS or not. It rarely kicks in with the tires I was running (33" BFGs) but I plan to run 37" IROKS when the SAS and RLC (Rear Leaf Conversion) is completed.
It does not seem that to many have installed the rear leaf springs on a 2nd gen 4runner. Maybe I should run a pole.
Thanks again.
I appreciate all your advice and tech support.

#10 ·
Harbor freight $68 bucks per set. I need another set, which are longer to reach the rear crossmember, or something. My entire 4runner is riding high on the floor jacks.
I am waiting on parts from everywhere.
Gears from Summit Racing
Front Springs from Marlin
Front 30 splines from Longfield
I have been chasing the UPS man like a kid chases the ice cream truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.