Pirate 4x4 banner

Weber vs. stock Toy Carb

117K views 75 replies 53 participants last post by  drsmash 
#1 ·
Getting my 22R together finally and am debating whether or not to go with the 32/36 Weber carb or just a stocker carb. I know that the stock carbs are generally better, however my problem is a bit more complex. To sum it up, I have virtually no emissions equipment (charcoal canisters, boxes etc), so I am concerned that I will not be able to get all the vacuum ports hooked up correctly on the stock Toyota Carb. Is there a way to get around all the emmission ports on a stock carb or am I SOL? If I can bypass a lot of them I will go with the stock carb, if not I may be stuck buying a 32/36. Any suggestions?

Ryan

#2 · (Edited)
from personal experience go weber
nwor told me you will never get a stock carb to run right with no emissions. and it never did run like my weber. My weber dead cold in the morning, Pump the gas once turn the key and it would just perr @1500rpm and when it warmed up smooth 800rpm.
running 33" 12.5" bfg mudterrians, 4.38 locked, 20r bored 30 over (before the supra I-6)

weber 15-22mpg
stock 8-14 it was bad

#3 ·
i've got a weber 32/36 and I can honestly say its great. more power than stock, starts right up cold, everytime. I've got 144,000 miles on my 86. Few months ago I put the truck on its side, thanks to my exo VERY little damage, winched it back on all 4s, started right up on the first try on a STEEP hill. I've had great luck starting it on hills, you name it...I say weber. btw...I dont run any egr, or emission stuff either, got it registered in Flagstaff actually so I dont have to worry about emissions. good luck
Brian

#5 ·
Supra Beast said:
from personal experience go weber
nwor told me you will never get a stock carb to run right with no emissions. and it never did run like my weber. My weber dead cold in the morning, Pump the gas once turn the key and it would just perr @1500rpm and when it warmed up smooth 800rpm.
running 33" 12.5" bfg mudterrians, 4.38 locked, 20r bored 30 over (before the supra I-6)

weber 15-22mpg
stock 8-14 it was bad

Good info, however whatever NWOR says amounts to nothing in my eyes. The motor I am building is going to be very simplistic with as few vacuum/emission lines as possible. So you said you averaged 15-18 mpg on the Weber, anyone else want to share? Although this is not my main concern, mpg is indicative of how well the carb is tuned and I can only assume that if a Weber is tuned right, I can't see why you wouldn't get as good if not better than stock.

Ryan

#6 ·
Well,I'm not running a 32/36,I'm running a 38 Weber and I like it. It seems to start up good and runs very good on the road. I average between 14 and 17 MPG running back and forth to work when I run mine on the road. Off road wise it works pretty good,as good as one could expect a carb to work anyway. You won't replace EFI with a carb but from what I've seen,this Weber of mine will hold it's own fairly well. I've had a few times that it wouldn't run for nothing. The only explanation I can come up with is either I got some old/bad gas or maybe water in the fuel. Everytime it's acted up it will just start running better after using up the fuel thats in the tank. I've tried adjusting things and it never would get better until the fuel is used up. I'm not real concerned with it though,in the 5 years or better that I've run this carb it's only acted up like this maybe 3 or 4 times. It's got to be the fuel that I put in it,and I can't really blame the carb for it. I mean,I'm the one who put the fuel in it,right......riiiiight.

Power wise,well,after putting the Weber on I had to put my head rest back in. I kept hurting my neck everytime I would take off. I mean the power was crazy,you would think you were sitting in a top fuel dragster.

:flipoff2:

It's hard to tell. I installed a Thorley header and a Jacobs ingnition real close to the same time that I installed the carb. Is it a rocket ship? Nope. It won't win any races but it does run really well and has good throttle responce. All in all,I'm happy with it.

#7 ·
i was stuck in a dilemma when rebuilding my engine. i didn't know how to rig up the stocker carb(i was swapping in a 22R for a 20R), and i had a weber 32/36 laying around from the old engine. however the adapter plate never stayed sealed for more than a couple months and was a pain in the ass.

then i found this diagram. canadian 1983 vacuum setup, this is exactly what i run on my truck, except for no charcoal canister and no HAI(i run an open element filter). anything that you dont use on this diagram, plug it up and it'll run fine. just need to keep the little vacuum switching valve that screws into the coolant passage between teh #2 and 3 intake ports for everything to work.

i also thought about running a holley 350 since they're cheap, widely supported(just not in the toy world), and LC sells a 1 piece adapter plate unlike the 2 piece you need with a weber. if you want to go the weber route, go with a 38 since the 32/36 flows less than a 22R carb, and the 22R carb beats the crap out of a 32/36 in driveability, power and mileage

Attachments

#58 · (Edited)
then i found this diagram. canadian 1983 vacuum setup, this is exactly what i run on my truck, except for no charcoal canister and no HAI(i run an open element filter). anything that you dont use on this diagram, plug it up and it'll run fine. just need to keep the little vacuum switching valve that screws into the coolant passage between teh #2 and 3 intake ports for everything to work.
I'm running the same setup on mine combined with a lower float level, an electric fuel pump (stock on 79's), a regulator and the breather mod I rarely flood out.

My only complaint is the secondaries not opening :confused: after tons of searching and tinkering I have finally just learned to ignore it :shaking:

#8 ·
Depends where you're at. With a 22r at altitude (I live at nearly 8,000 and drive passes over 12,000), it seems the 32/36 is as good as it gets. I know people who have bigger carbs, but there just isn't enough oxygen, and besides these little motors don't need a lot. Sure would like LC's blower matched to the 38 though?...

#10 · (Edited)
My stock carb runs just fine with no emissions crap hooked up. Just start blocking everything off. I have a weber 32/36 that I took off, I keep it around as a spare. I ran a Weber on an old truck I had. I liked the extra power, but I like the stock carb better. Almost every person I personally know who has had a weber took it off and went back to a stock carb.

Some people really like the weber carbs, my experience with them was that I had more torque and power. I have always heard they are hard to get to tuned properly. If you are good with carbs then you can probably get one to work really well for you.

#13 ·
well, i'm afraid i have to eat my hat now. my 22R carb that i spent $300 having rebuilt(shop ripped me off :rolleyes: ) now has a non-functional choke, and no longer idles well. i rebuilt my weber and re-jetted it. also going to be running an offy c-series manifold to avoid the horrid adapter plates...just have to go buy a riser so i can install the carb and not have the accelerator pump arm whack the top of the manifold.

when it was working good, my 22R carb kicked ass and took names. however i'm getting to my wit's end with it, have little information about tuning it, and it runs very lean and i'm scared to put the pedal to the floor any more without it pinging.

#14 ·
i'm not sure about most guys running the factory toyota carbs but mine runs great. I have flopped my rig many times and it keeps running on its side and at good angles with the nose pointed up or down.

all i really did was adjust the mixture screws, it's a 20r with the factory carb.

ah well...

#18 ·
My 32/36 works for me... actually better than the stock IMO. I live over in the White Mtns., roughly the same altitude as Flagstaff and frequent well over 10,000 on a weekly basis. The weber does fine at angles w/ the float dropped a tad. It's very simple to adjust, works well at a variety of altitude, installation is a breeze, milage went up(in my experience), waaaaaaaay easier to rebuild and tune, can be had w/ an electric choke, starts a hell of alot easier in cold temps and just plain runs right. Maybe I got lucky w/ mine, I have heard a few Weber horror stories.... mine just works.

Attachments

#19 ·
I think the best thing about the Webers is how easy they are to work on and adjust. If you have a way of checking the air fuel mixture at different RPMs, you can change the jets accordingly. I have a 38 on my current truck, trying to get the most bang out of it. I guess the CFM on a 32/36 is smaller than stock, and stock is smaller than a 38.

#20 · (Edited)
ive got a 32/36 on my 86 truck and its always worked great. i have all the emissions junk disconnected. starts up right away always, even after laying the truck on its side a couple times, winched it back over and it started up first try both times...
good power and never encountered any problems on any steep inclines yet...just keep the gas hammered and your good!

#22 ·
do yourself a favor use the stocker. if you have it then there's no reason to go buy another carb. if you need some pictures i might be able to get one of what i did. (i only have like 4 vacume lines hooked up runs great) they don't need much to run and simply by extending the overflow and raising the float level and whatnot they can be made to run on angles pretty well. not speaking from experience but from what i heard the webbers need to be constintly tuned. i don't know if you're rich and want to buy another carb just becuase then go buy a webber but if you're poor and want to just do it then use your stocker.

#24 ·
im running a crane cam(#704-0014), a headman header, and a single 40mm sidedraft weber set up and it runs well for me. mpg around 17 and does fairly well with the truck angled. its got great throttle response and great midrange power. but then again this is matched to cam also. i did run a single 38mm sidedraft mikuni on my stock 20r when i first bought it and prefered it over the stocker.

#25 ·
My 2 Cents

I am running the 22r with the 32/36 carb. ANd I must say I love the results. The only thing I dont like is that the stock carb flows more gas than the weber. But I have a bunch of othe things on my truck to compensate. I have a stage 2 cam from i believe northwest 4x4. And offenhuaser intake. I dont know if you will be able to hook up your stock carb to work very well without any of your emissions stuff unless you plug up all the holes that no longer have things going to it. I hope my opnion helped. Good luck man!:grinpimp:

#26 ·
the stock carb can flow a slightly larger amount of air, but rejetting it is pretty close to impossible, so mine always ran too lean for me. that's what i like about my weber, i can spend 10 minutes popping it apart and sticking different jets in it if i have to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.