Pirate 4x4 banner

Ford 9" Pinion Offset

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  PAToyota 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking at a project. Does anyone know offhand (or can point me to a link) what the horizontal offset is for a Ford 9" from the pinion centerline to the third member centerline? The Currie catalog has a diagram, but doesn't list the actual dimension.

Also, is it a set dimension? Or does it vary depending on the third you are using? That it varies was the only reason I could see that Currie would not list it. I have an e-mail into Currie, but not sure how long it will take to get a reply. Searched, but could only come up with information on the vertical offset and hi-pinion models.

#4 ·
Because I'm looking to put it under my Toyota... :flipoff2:

Reading back through the Currie information closely, I came across one small note that referred to the pinion offset as being .94" if the housing was centered rather than the pinion centered. The picture makes it look like more than an inch, though... Maybe not?

#5 ·
It's more than an inch, but not enough to worry about considering the length of a toyota driveline. I had no issues with my 9" rear end under the truck or buggy. If I were you I'd be more concerend about having your axle shafts equal length so you only need one spare (not centering the pinion). FWIW my full width (65") 9" had equal length shafts.

#7 ·
Centering the center pin off sets the center, and the pinion even more to the right hand side. This is fine in our Taco, but on an early model, the gas tank will be in the way. Thats assuming you are still running the stock tank though.

#8 ·
I'm not sure that I follow your comment, Brian. The pinion is offset to the left looking back at the axle. My choices are to center the housing and have the pinion off to the left -- which might be an issue with the gas tank -- or centering the pinion which would give me unequal axle shaft lengths.

#9 ·
I think you actually got it. If you make same length shafts, you will likely see a gas tank problem. If you center the diff, youll have unequal shafts. In our taco we made same length shafts, and the diff is a bit offset, and the driveshaft is definately crooked.

#10 ·
The stock Toyota offset is ~1", the 9" is ~2½" as stated above. I shortened the driver's side axle 2" to bring the pinion more towards the truck's centerline and avoid interference problems with the gas tank. The resultant 1½" offset hasn't had any clearance problems to date.

#11 ·
Finally got a reply back from Currie. They're telling me that there is a 0.94" offset from pinion centerline to centerline of the third member. Despite the unequal axle shafts, I think I am going to center the pinion and work from there.

And despite the grief about posting this on the Toyota forum, the info here was a heck of a lot more helpful than what I got over on the Ford forum... Go figure! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.