Pirate 4x4 banner

Anyone using Rubicon Express Joints? Info on ball joints?

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  toy4crawlin 
#1 · (Edited)
Finished Research of all 5 flex Joint Vendors
SKIP to My last Post

Expert advise PLEASE :cool2:

Does anyone know of a 4X Vendor that is using DELRIN material for their Flex ball joint cartridges??

I'm in the middle of a dilemma of trying to find a flex joint like Johny joints or Orbit eyes or Rubicon Express JointsR.E. Joints to fit into custom Alcan 48" front springs into a 85 toy
Orbit Eyes are backed up, through AOR.
The size of them are 2 1/2 inches O.D

All PRO is 2 1/2 inch 30* total 15 degree each way using RUBBER Bushings.. and I hear they are a pain to put together :confused:

Rubicon Express control arm joints are 2 5/8 13* degree each way using
UHMW Bushings== long lasting

Currie enterprises uses 2.5 with High density urethane "tough88" cartidges.
Is Currie the best?

I need to find a joint FAST!

Thanks

See less See more
#5 ·
OOP'S said:
All-Pros are not rubber and neither are RE's. They are some kind of space age plastic shit!!!!
YEa Allpro Does not say what material the cartridge is just says "Quality rubber bushings"

Currie Enterprises uses what looks like what AllPro is using but Currie says high Density urethane "tough 88" to incapsulate the ball. like our Poly bushings.

Still searching.........

#6 ·
Booger Weldz said:
dont get the 'johnny joint', theyre a POS and really hard to put together, the rubicon express has a threaded end thats really easy to assemble and user freindly
Mike Hendrix is selling the 'X' Joint. I'm not sure how it differs from the Johnny Joint, but I put it together on the standard Harbor Frieght press in less than 5 minutes ;)

I'll be using them for the ends on all the links of the new comp buggy.

#8 ·
Booger Weldz said:
dont get the 'johnny joint', theyre a POS and really hard to put together, the rubicon express has a threaded end thats really easy to assemble and user freindly
That is because you are a retard, mine went right together with the help of my 20-ton press!!!!! :flipoff2:

same stuff you use for a penis splint
Tuna CanTommy=No depth, but tear the hell out of the sides!!!!!! :shaking:

#9 ·
OOP'S said:
That is because you are a retard, mine went right together with the help of my 20-ton press!!!!! :flipoff2:

Tuna CanTommy=No depth, but tear the hell out of the sides!!!!!! :shaking:

its your fault im retarded, i got my good looks from mom at least :flipoff2:

if you need a 20ton press to assemble them i think you might wanna look into the rubicon express joints, they assemble with bare hands, i cracked a harbor frieght vice in 2 trying to assemble that junk from allpro...

#10 ·
JeepRecoveryTeam said:
Mike Hendrix is selling the 'X' Joint. I'm not sure how it differs from the Johnny Joint, but I put it together on the standard Harbor Frieght press in less than 5 minutes ;)

I'll be using them for the ends on all the links of the new comp buggy.

It does not take a Press or vise to put these Joints together, all you need is a 4"-5" Long 5/8 bolt , slid through ball joint and screw down/compress the washers on either side of the joint enough to clip in the retaining ring.
You can even do this on the trail.
A piece of all thread and a 2 nuts on each end then just tighten down one nut to compress the joint.

X-joint is the same Joint as AllPro, But does X-Joint Cross drill there BAlls?? to allow LubricationHave not been able to reach Hendrix on phone yet.

But I asked AllPro about their joint and he was not sure and didn't even know the flex degres. :rolleyes: :shaking:
I also called to check up on order I made last week, only to find out they never shipped it, and he told he doesn't know if it would ship today! WTHF :shaking: :mad3:
I rarely get good customer service so I'm finished with ordering from AllPoo :barf:

AOR Joints flex 20* both directions!! :eek: :beer:
I'm Getting my Custom Alcan's with Orbits in 10 days! :)

#12 ·
toy4crawlin said:
It does not take a Press or vise to put these Joints together, all you need is a 4"-5" Long 5/8 bolt
Yep, but why use handtools when you have a press :flipoff2:

toy4crawlin said:
But does X-Joint Cross drill there BAlls?? to allow Lubrication
The grease fitting on the X is completely different than the AP. The AP uses a greaseable bolt and when I had them, they didn't cross drill the metal ball. The result was that you greased the hell out of the bolt and inside of the ball but had no lubrication between the ball and the poly urethane.

The X joint has a grease zirk on the outside of the joint and the Poly Urethane is 'slotted' to allow the grease to get to where it needs to be.

d

#13 ·
UGET IT said:
Hey Ryan..................This is Kevin Carey. Where have you been? Hope to see ya at the Hammers in a few weeks for the Toyota Jambo.
HEy Kevin!! what up ?!

How's the runner or what do you have now, last I heard you rolled really bad?

I bought a runner couple yrs ago, slowly building it up.

Ryan @Wicked Fab & I where just talking about you.
PM me

Haven't been wheeling much, miss it though. I've been Busy racing around the World! inluding S.Africa! :D Won my 2004 World Championship!! in 2 classes of street Luge!! :p :grinpimp: :) :D

#14 ·
JeepRecoveryTeam said:
Yep, but why use handtools when you have a press :flipoff2:

The grease fitting on the X is completely different than the AP. The AP uses a greaseable bolt and when I had them, they didn't cross drill the metal ball. The result was that you greased the hell out of the bolt and inside of the ball but had no lubrication between the ball and the poly urethane.

The X joint has a grease zirk on the outside of the joint and the Poly Urethane is 'slotted' to allow the grease to get to where it needs to be.

d
So in reality X-joint is actually greasable, where as AllPoo is a Cracker jack box, or a box of chocalates, don't know what ya gonna get :shaking: :confused:
But it looks as though they use the same race? Nylon? What the hell are these things, called AllPoo they couldn't even tell me

I just looked up info on the races AOR uses:
Sounds Mo better than the others

--improves the strength of steel at high temperatures
--molybdenum disulphide is a good lubricant, especially at high temperatures where normal oils decompose
--valuable alloying agent (contributes to the hardenability and toughness of quenched and tempered steels).
--Almost all ultra-high strength steels contain molybdenum in amounts from 0.25 to 8%
--electrodes for electrically heated glass furnaces
--nuclear energy applications
--missile and aircraft parts
--valuable catalyst in petroleum refining
--filament material in electrical applications
--essential trace element in plant nutrition. Some soils are barren for lack of this element in the soil

#16 · (Edited)
SPECS ON Different Vendor FLEX/JOINTS

Difference in Vendor Ball joints
Explained

--AOR Orbit Eye Joint
--Price $69.95
--Flex Degree 40*
--Size 2.5 inch
--Width- 3 3/4inch
--Ball Joint "precision-machined, cold-rolled steel ball"
--Cartirdge/Race "molybdenum-based nylon socket"
-- No Zirk fitting
--Uses, Leaf springs
--Issues, ??

--AllPro Johnny Joint
--Price $38. each
--Flex Degree 30*
--Size O.D. 2.5 inch
--Width- ??
--Gets there Joints from Currie,
BUT they drill the ball out to except a 5/8 shackle Bolt with Zirk fittg thus Lubricating the bolt inside the ball joint to not rust.
--Plus they Cross Drill the Ball to allow grease to Enter the ball joint.
--Use a C-clip on One end to hold joint together.
--Cartridge/race joint material still unknown
--BAll Joint material , UNKNOWN
--sells about 50 a month
- reports no failues with joint, search Board for feedback
--rebuildable with hand tools and on trail, according to Jay @Allpro
--USes, Leaf Shackle Pivot
--Issues/complaints: Difficult to install or rebuild

X-Joint "Rod End
--Price--> $34.95 each
--Flex degrees ??*
--Size--> 2 5/8
--Width- ??
--Nickel Plated Ball stress proof ball
--DOM shell with tapped hole for zerk
--Cartidge/races-->Oil Injected Nylon Races (Minimal Wear)
--Poly cup with integrated grease passage, zerk fitting.
--9/16" Bore
--.188 Wall Dom Outer tube
--2 5/8" Wide at bolt bore flanges.
--Zinc Plated threaded retainer, washer and snap ring
--Stainless Steel Set Screw
--Uses: Control arm,
--Issues: ??

Rubicon Express joint
originally designed to replace the heim joints
--Price $32. 2inch
--Price $39. 2.5 inch
--Flex Degree 28*
--Ball joint polished chrome ball, no specs
--Uses screw caps
--Cartridge/Race UHMW nylon
--Tube Zerk fitting
--requires tool to tighten
--Uses: Control arms, track bars, Jeeps
--Issues: ??

--Currie Joint
--Price $
--Flex Degrees 30*
--size 2 5/8 inch
--Uses screw in caps to hold joint together
--Cartridge/race "high88" urethane,like ploy bushings
--Ball Joint, 4340 Chromoly
--requires tool to fasten
--Uses: Rod end, Control arms, Jeeps

Any descrepencies let me know
RJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.