Pirate 4x4 banner

Bigger Tires = Weaker Brakes

1K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  1bille1 
#1 ·
Alright, what are you fellas doing to get some brake power back after installing bigger tires ? I'm cheap and would like to do something with junkyard parts rather than invest a lot in a new high performance system.

Whataya Think?

#6 ·
Using a combo of at least the vented rotors, IFS calipers, and a chevy or V6 master will give you awesome braking. Probably better than stock with stock tires. Do a disc conversion out back and youll have neck snapping stopping power.

#8 ·
The rotors and calipers are bolt on, but the master cyl. will require an adapter, unless you use a master out of a V6 Toy.
Discs out back will be bolt on if you buy a kit from Sky.

#9 ·
i thought there was some kind of spacer that you had to get for the vented fj40 rotors and ifs calipers. i read the faq on that and it's a little unclear, there were a few different ways to do that.

#10 ·
porterwagner said:
i thought there was some kind of spacer that you had to get for the vented fj40 rotors and ifs calipers. i read the faq on that and it's a little unclear, there were a few different ways to do that.
There aren't any mods you need to make unless you plan on using the wider IFS hubs. You may need to use a small spacer to keep your rims from rubbing on the calipers (depending on what year/style caliper you use), but other than that, you simply unbolt your existing rotors, pound out the studs, put on the fj rotors, and bolt everything back up. The IFS calipers will bolt directly to the minitruck hub assemblies. Piece of cake.

#11 ·
RIPOIL said:
Alright, what are you fellas doing to get some brake power back after installing bigger tires ? I'm cheap and would like to do something with junkyard parts rather than invest a lot in a new high performance system.

Whataya Think?
cant you get free brake pads from the junk yard? my buddy was saying its illegal to sell them. there free i guess? :confused:

#12 ·
kiyul4130 said:
cant you get free brake pads from the junk yard? my buddy was saying its illegal to sell them. there free i guess? :confused:
Yeah you can also buy Motorcycle helments for twenty dollars, do you want to trust your life and other lifes with them. Buy new ones!!!!! :grinpimp:

#13 ·
so who has installed discs out back, skys kit for example, and noticed a substantial braking improvement? with skys kit do i need a residual valve and an adjustable proportioning valve, do i eliminate the factory lspv? whos using this setup on a daily driver, or frequently streeted rig and can comment....thanks:D

#14 ·
:eek: :eek: :eek:

You guys need to realilze that simply putting in a bigger master will make it HARDER to stop your truck. Just like putting the bigger tires on did.

Read here for some info on hydraulic leverage ratios:
http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/4runner/brakes/

If you want to make it EASIER to stop your truck, then put in a SMALLER master, BIGGER calipers, or a bigger brake booster. All of these will make the pedal feel a bit softer, but your truck will stop faster/easier.

#15 · (Edited)
i still have a hard time with some of you guys.
i run stock brakes, except for the vented rotors and IFS caliper and have no problems with my truck on 37s.

as far as rear brakes go, IMHO i think the earlier rears work better as they are a dual servo type as apposed to a lead/follow type that the late rears are. it seems like my late brakes on my runner are a pain all the time and i have been less than happy with them.

#16 · (Edited)
My 85runner with stock brakes and 35/36" tires used to stop Ok. I recently installed a V6 master with dual diaghram booster (90-94) with an ifs rear axle.
I am very pleased with my stopping power...almost puts me into the windsheild.
If I press the peddle to fast the rear brakes lock-up. Hoping that after adding additional weight ( cage, spare tire, etc.) that rear braking will balance out. If not, I might consider replacing stock lsvp with a wildwood pv.

Knowing what I know now, I'm glad I didn't go with discs out rear. Rear discs and chevy masters are probably way over-kill unless you've got wider axles, monster meats or gobs of horsepower.

Also, was planning to swap front calipers to ifs + fj rotors....gonna hold off ...have all the stopping power I need.

To be totally fair, master cylinder and rear wheel cylinders are brand new Asco/Aisan pieces...through The Parts Bin.comrather than the expensive middle-man (Toyota dealership).

#17 ·
I'm running the wider front via Sky's kit using the FJ40 rotors and V6 calipers. Using an FJ80 master cylinder along with a wildwood prop. valve. I think the master cylinder is ABS style. What's the difference between ABS and non ABS? Thinking about adding a V6 brake booster instead of the 4cyl. version. Will that matter if it's ABS or not?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.