Pirate 4x4 banner

87 EFI buggy harness and panel (pics)

3K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  a2b 
#1 ·
I got some more work done on my new buggy,I thought the work was cool enough to start a thread with it...also to make it easy to find in a search.

Started with a factory 87 harness, cut out everything that was unnecessary to make the engine run properly.The only thing missing in the pics is the check engine light,wich will be installed later along with the rest of the dash wiring.

The panel is attatched using rubber vibration isolators and can be unbolted and unpluged to be removed from the buggy for easy service.

ALL wiring was done by Lance (peguinofdoom on Pirate)...I just made it look cool :D

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
nope. stock alternator.

we put a bunch of weatherpack connectors on the rig. makes it easier to disconnect. that pannel will be removable with 3 bolts and a few disconnects of weatherpack connectors.

the weatherpack on the end of the harness is for the coil/ignitor. we got rid of the stock toyota connectors in a few places for cleanliness of installation and a better connection.

#10 ·
ya, lance did a good job on todd's rig too....nice pics aaron.

though, i have to say......mine looks just as good :flipoff2:

you cant beat wires plugged to a fuse wrapped with electrical tape :eek:

lance, when i go EFI, i need your help! :)

#11 ·
thanks guys.. i've put a lot of work into these things. :D i'm still up here in atascadero, i got conned into fixing some wiring problems for someone's supra-swap. :) I swear these guys want to keep me here!

#13 ·
What type of connectors are you using? Where did you get them and how much did they cost? Also is there a diagram or more detailed info on cutting down the harness to just make the motor run?

Sorry for so many questions but i haven't seen many harness cut down that far and i like it... alot!

#15 ·
broncoboy351 said:
Where did youi get the fuse holder? i have been looking for one like that for ever.
I have many fuse blocks, what exactly do you need?
amp rating required?
# of circuts required?
mounting type, raised, flush or panel mount?
terminal incert type, rear, side, front?
power input, 1 wire Hot or each circut with it's own wire?

#19 ·
drnut said:
What type of connectors are you using? Where did you get them and how much did they cost? Also is there a diagram or more detailed info on cutting down the harness to just make the motor run?

Sorry for so many questions but i haven't seen many harness cut down that far and i like it... alot!
almost all of the connectors on the harness are the stock toyota plugs. i'm just modifying the harness to strip out the stuff that isn't needed. there were a few things on the harness that got converted to weatherpack(gm) connectors, i.e. the coil/ignitor plug. and the main in/out for the harness is a weather pack, it's got the power leads in, fuel pump power out, etc..

and yes, i have a diagram/schematic for myself on what is cut out, and what is left. but i plan on selling this service, so i'm not gonna divulge my secrets quite yet :D most of the stock harness plugs are left in. most of what was cut out of the harness is the extra crap for things like lights, A/C, EGR, that kind of thing. it's mostly just cleaned up and re-done. instead of having 2 seperate harness (1 body, and 1 engine), it's all in one nice neat package.

and this is still a "prototype" so to speak, RE:Todd was the first one I did, Aaron is #2, and I've got a few ideas on how to make it better and cleaner. hopefully i'll be done with that one real soon, and i'll let y'all know :D

#20 ·
Just FYI, this is my second EFI harness. Not quite as nice, but it's also pretty simple. All the info. needed to make one just like it is in the EFI conversion FAQ thread I started. We'll have to talk, Penguin. Not sure if you'll divulge any "trade secrets" but I have a few questions for you. Looks good.

Attachments

#21 ·
sure dude, give me a PM, i'll answer your questions no problem, i dont have any problem answering specfiic questions about what i've done, or what i've found, i'm happy to share, this is the PBB after all :D most of what i've learned about this has been from here.

#22 · (Edited)
I've been thrashin on this thing to get it done for the jambo,that's why I havent up dated it in a while...I picked up this cool switch panel from SeaBass...6 switches and one push button for the starter...switches are O-Ring sealed + rubber boots 21amp@14vdc, Starter is 50 amp

Price was 49.00 +5.00 shipping...that's agreat price compared to the ones that I was looking at in the summit catalog

thanks for getting it out so fast SeaBass

I should have some pics of it installed pretty quick :)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.