Pirate 4x4 banner

Swap R150 for R151??

760 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jslamerman 
#1 ·
Do these trannys share the same pattern where they are bolted to the bellhousing? Can a stock v6-5spd tranny concievably be swapped out for a r151 and attached tcase?? Thanks (my big brain is tellin me it will, but.............)

#5 · (Edited)
I have swapped my stock V6 R150 for the "turbo" R151. No complications. All you have to do is swap the bell housings. The you will need the transfer case support from the turbo tranny. It is a direct swap. My electronic speed sensor swapped in as well. No problem.

Oh yeah!!
I think I had to modify my shifter.
I have a 92 4runner. The shifter or the turbo R151 was a few inches fwd than the r150. I called Marlin and he helped me with the shifter modifications.
It was relatively minor problem, compared to the gain. Lower 1st gear in the r151 and the gear driven xfer case. I swapped in the 4.7:1 cralwer gears, and a centerforce dual friction clutch at the time. This is a great improvement mod.
Call Marlin, if you have any questions

#7 ·
Mike, working on something, I kinda have to move, my wife left, so the house is a little spensive, movin to a new place with no garage, tryin to scramble and pick up "parts" Ive previously placed on hold with a seller, just have to find a place for all this crap. Do you know anyone who wants to buy a running turbo motor complete (wiring, afm, etc.????)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.