Pirate 4x4 banner

Bad clunk from rear diff-85 4runner

847 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  sickfab 
#1 ·
Got a real bad clunk when rolling coming from the rear diff, just started last night and had to tow it home. We put 36's on about 3 weeks ago. Here's the thing-the truck either has 5.29's or 5.71's and I'm hoping theyare the 5.29's since what I've heard going any higher than that really makes it weak. I'm not sure of the ratio since the gears were changed before we bought the truck. Any idea what the clunk could be? It's coming from the diff and it doesn't make noise unless the truck is under a load(doesn't make clunking sound when sitting on jack stands in gear freewheeling) but. if it's on the stands and you apply a little barake pressure the clunking starts and gets really loud the the more gas you give it and the more resistance it gets. Driving on the road clunks so bad it sounds like it''ll blow apart.
Any ideas? I'm thinking of towing it to Tucson Differential shop this week. Could it be the ring and pinion? The nut is staked and tight-fyi

#5 ·
yea pull the wheels off, theres 4 bolts that hold the axle in, the ebrake cable and the brake lines. Make sure you pinch off the rubber line leading down to the axle unless you want to bleed your brakes again, then pull the axles out till the disengage the carrier. Pull the 12 or so 3rd bolts and pull out the 3rd. Make sure to use the black RTV when re-assembling.

#7 ·
has 5.71's and 5 teeth gone from the ring gear

Bought the truck and the gears had already been changed-put 35's on 2 weeks ago and now the rear diff f__ked up. Pulled it apart and I've got 5 teeth gone on the ring gear. Found out there are 5.71's and I talked to a couple of diff shops in Tucson and they said they won't even install 5.71's in a Toy axle because they are very prone to breaking like this one. Now I have to change to 5.29's front and rear, sucks! :mad3: This diff broke driving around town not even wheeling in fact I haven't even had the truck out wheeling since putting the 35's on 2 weeks ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.