Pirate 4x4 banner

Which Marlin clutch to get?

792 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Toyoda 
#1 ·
Getting ready to put in my new tranny. I think I'm going to go with a marlin clutch. Which one should I get (1200 or 1600#)? I heard that too heavy a pressure plate can strain the crank bearings when you disengage the clutch. Which one is every one else running?
What does a stock pressure plate put out?

Truck is an 83 22r, dual 2.28 cases, 4.10 axle gears, 38" tires

#2 · (Edited)
I recently installed a 1600# Marlin clutch and love it! I was worried that it would be difficult to use, but most of the time I don't really notice the difference. The main thing that changed is that it engages right off the floor so there is no cheating with the clutch. A buddy of mine also has the 1600#, he intended to order the 1200# but requested the heavy duty rather than a super heavy duty (I think Marlin considers them standard and heavy duty), he is glad that he ended up with the 1200#. Be specific when you order, I'm sure they would exchange parts, but get it right the first time.

My truck is an 85 with a single 4.70:1, 4.88 gears and 33" tires and a detroit rear locker. Check your transfer case mount when you pull the transmission, mine was broken and it make a ton of difference when I installed the Marlin V-6 one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.