few pics of my turbo diesel install - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2005, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 31657
few pics of my turbo diesel install

here are a few pics of my 1.6 VW turbo deisel matted to a yota trans. i spent the better part of the past 2 days making the mounts. ive been waiting almost ayear to get to this point. not far now. enjoy

YouTube - Toyota 4x4 Trail Rig Build Pictures Diesel VW

mocking up were the mounts will go

the roughed out frame mounts cut from 1/4".

the engine mounts. i used a generic 2" dia. mount kit from mountain offroad. includes the tubes, bushings, and bolts for 11.00 a side. not bad.

mounted

Last edited by Rockclod; 06-07-2009 at 05:05 AM.
Rockclod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2005, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 23992
Damn that looks good! Are you going to run biodiesel?
Old 05-08-2005, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 31657
nah. that crap smells and im not going begging for used fryer oil from mcdonalds. lol

Old 05-08-2005, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 20852
Wow, nice man...I somehow feel inadiquate now?
FXRocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2005, 04:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
Did you design/make the tranny/engine adapter? Nice clean install, very professional. The only thing that detracted me on the install was the square edges where the MM bolt to the engine; I would have put a radius on those corners. Looks great and keep us in the loop, especially when you get it on the trail.

P.S. Mickey Dís will not give you their fry oil, they recycle it.

As long as my tires are dirty, I am happy!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OOP'S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2005, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 2387
Send a message via AIM to Lowtorious
The engine looks to be pretty far back. I bring that up because I assume you're going to be using that cab in the background?
Lowtorious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2005, 04:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 14094
Send a message via AIM to Hvy_Chevy
Super clean. What's the deal on engine/tranny mating?

You can buy bio diesel, you don't have to make it. Now running pure WVO would be sweet.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 30087
Send a message via MSN to Izeloz
I know virtually nothing of VW engines. What did this come out of?
Izeloz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2005, 04:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 18719
That sure is some clean fab work! Whats the hp on that bad dog? I love turbos

thats all i can fit?
turbrotoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2005, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Guy

Member # 26382
very clean, looks like you are putting some effort into it. what's the expected torque and hp?
Old 05-08-2005, 05:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 2634
AWESOME.. need more details on the engine.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 1138
Whose adapter are you using?
And how far did you move the springs forward.

Old 05-08-2005, 06:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 19372
Send a message via AIM to SlamChops Send a message via Yahoo to SlamChops
that looks pimp! cant wait to see the finished product! what'd the engine come out of?
SlamChops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2005, 06:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 31657
thanks for all the good feedback guys. the engine is a 1.6 td, mechanical motor with hyd lifters. so only maybe 4 or 5 wires to make it run , and i dont need a fuel system. its very simple.
its out of an 87 jetta. i drove about 200 miles to find it. the engine was in someone old guys yard in the back of a pickup truck next to the jetta which was rearended by a tractor trailer.needless to say after draggin the engine 100 yds to the truck on a bug hood in the mud with a tractor it was totally trashed. i rebuilt the whole thing from top to bottom.. had the cylinders bored, os pistons, rebuilt the head and turbo, all the parts on it are powdercoated yadda yadda...its like new through out.
i bought the adapter from Acme. the price was a bit high but when i purchased it there was one other guy who had attempted this conversion in the US and had not finished it. so i may be the only one who has made it this far. with the exception of the guy who made the adapter plate. i think there is another company making them now. dont know the name, look on ebay.
the hp and torque is not much. stock i think these turn out maybe 70 hp, but i was looking to do something different and this is a trail rig only so speed is not an issue. i really wanted a diesel and had no interest in the toyotas for a couple of reasons. i have seen the samurai guys do this and thats how i found out about this kit. acme does alot of sam stuff.

oops, i had thought about the edges but was so excited about getting it together to see what it looks like i sort of passed up that part. but on the driver side i may have to trim the plate back a bit to make room for the water pump hoses.

lowtorious..the trans is in the stock location. the engine sits exactly where the 22re sat. its just a bit shorter up front. maybe room for an 8 core radiator or something.....

the only obsticles i have left which will be tough are mounting my alternator, i bought a gm 100 amp one wire, and my gm sag pwr steering pump. the alt bracket on the motor is on the driver side which is where i should put the pump and vise versa. i havent got to that point yet.. thats tomorrow. ill keep pictures coming. thanks
Old 05-08-2005, 06:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 31657
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXRocket
Wow, nice man...I somehow feel inadiquate now?
why?
Old 05-08-2005, 07:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 18535
Send a message via AIM to wv4runner
Very nice work.

Interesting, I saw an 89 VW 1.6 diesel Jetta in the paper the other day for $450...
Old 05-08-2005, 07:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 40
nnice, ~~~~~~~~~~~~~very very nice

--

# 530.532.4529

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO

-Awesome web development for your business.

SeaBass44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2005, 05:44 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 11008
Is the engine lighter than a 22RE? It looks smaller just by sheer displacemnent, but I know diesels are heavy.

How much torque does it make?
Lap Kitty :) is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2005, 07:16 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 7742
Quote:
lowtorious..the trans is in the stock location. the engine sits exactly where the 22re sat. its just a bit shorter up front. maybe room for an 8 core radiator or something.....
stick an intercooler in there!

I am glad to see someone doing this! I picked up a 1.6TD for $250 and was going to stick it in my sami but not sure I want to lose the auto trans and dual cases. I have an '89 pickup I was thinking of dropping it into. Its a great engine and you can get alot of power out of them (and yes, they are alot lighter than the 22r). You can get the adapters HERE. There is a samurai message board HERE that is kinda new but has some good info. Keep us updated, I am dying to know how this engine performs in a Toyota.
samiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2005, 07:22 AM   #20 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
I'm really liking the motor mounts. VERY clean and VERY stout looking. Good job.

Now, as to the motor, that thing looks tiny .
Do you know the dimensions and weight of it compared to the stocker ?

One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2005, 01:54 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 38502
Very nice. I had no idea that there allready was an adapter available for a yota case.
I was thinking about using the 1.6 td also for my yotasam since these engines can be found plenty here. Very popular choice for sami swaps also.
I have driven a few of these, they are not so powerful but last a loooooong time and are very reliable. Currently I'm trying to find a newer 1.9 tdi (or the money for it) since they produce more hp and torque than the 2LT and are even lighter.
I would highly recommend a large intercooler, especially when you run it in/at higher temps. Makes more torque and hp but is also better for the enginetemp and headgasket.
Good luck with the project.
string is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2005, 01:56 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 22590
Quote:
Originally Posted by string
Very nice. I had no idea that there allready was an adapter available for a yota case.
I was thinking about using the 1.6 td also for my yotasam since these engines can be found plenty here. Very popular choice for sami swaps also.
I have driven a few of these, they are not so powerful but last a loooooong time and are very reliable. Currently I'm trying to find a newer 1.9 tdi (or the money for it) since they produce more hp and torque than the 2LT and are even lighter.
I would highly recommend a large intercooler, especially when you run it in/at higher temps. Makes more torque and hp but is also better for the enginetemp and headgasket.
Good luck with the project.
Look on ebay the adapters for toy's and samuari's are there all the time.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:20 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 20782
Looks good, and I like the hell out of my 1.6td. There is some info. in a thread titled "diesel conversion" in the suzuki forum regarding this engine. Maybe you are already familiar with it. Anyhow my oil filter leaks between the seal housing and the filter. Where would I find what you have, which looks like a remote relocator? Thanks and keep up the good work!
Old 05-09-2005, 05:45 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 31657
Wink

thanks again, i cant believe the good comments im getting over this. i figured the best thing to do with running a dual case setup has to be making strong motor mounts, so i tried.
everyone seems to want to know the dimensions of this motor versus the 22re. i cant say that i weighed each of them, but the blocks from what i remember did have a noticable difference in weight. maybe about 25 lbs. going to the toy. and fully assembled im sure near 75-100 lbs . everything about this engine is smaller except for the weight of the pistons. they are very heavy. but im not saying its flimsy in anyway. its a very well engineered plant.
the length of the 1.6 td block is about 5 " shorter from front to back at 14.5" and about 3 in shorter top to bottom at 11". the overall height from top of valve cover to bottom of pan is 22".
i checked the manual and the hp rating stock is supposed to be 68 hp at 4500 and the torque is 98 at 2500. with the .030 over bore and ported head that may change a little, i have no idea what to expect right now. im not real interested in how fast it will be, but it will be too cool to hear the clanking of the injectors and whistle of that little turbo. the compression is 23.0:1.

i do have room for an intercooler but i dont think it will make much difference on the trail going 5- 10 mph.
killr-b, that is a very good thread. yes ive read it. once i get this truck running i will go back for tunning help. as for the relocator. i contacted perma cool and they gave me this part number to go to Summit with.#10695 its a single filter kit around 45.00. its a nice kit i would recommend it. it was either that or a filter mount from a quantum or fox. they are angled back to allow room for the new motor mounts i had to fab up. if anyone has any questions just ask and ill try to help if your interested in pursuing this. also i still have my templates for the motor mounts and would be interested in making some up for someone if they wanted. thanks again

hers another shot of the other side now with the alt half mounted....theres the turbo too..
Old 05-09-2005, 05:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
savage

Member # 1730
nice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.