'85 22r vacuum lines removal - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2005, 08:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 7988
Question '85 22r vacuum lines removal

I looked through all the threads on the 22re vacuum lines and I could clean up them with no problems, BUT, I have a 22r in my truck, not a Cali model. I read that the motor can run correctly on basically 2 vac lines to the carb.

I spent an hour last night trying to figure out what everything was and to remove them but I ended up just putting it all back. (I did however fix the exhaust leak I had, change the oil and filter, air filter and PCV valve.)

I would like to clean up the mess of lines, canisters, modulators, actuators, etc.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 38118
Basically you just need the vacuum line that goes to the brake booster, and the vacuum advance on the distributor. Then you have the line going to the PCV valve and the line from the air cleaner to the top of the valve cover. That is all I have on mine, took all the other crap off.
bbagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2005, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 7988
Thanks I will look at it again tonight. I just ordered the block offs for the EGR and air injection. But I had figured that I was going to just have to pull on thing off, test. If it still runs and doesn't cause a DD drivability issue, it was gone. Then, repeat.

What is the valve that is in the bottom of the air cleaner housing, brassy in color?
Old 05-19-2005, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 46798
Send a message via AIM to yotastar101x
i was wondering the same thing about my 87 22r...i have taken some of the lines off and have noticed a small drop in mileage..but its only been a week and a half (but it doesnt get great mileage with 4.30s and 35s )

is there not a line that goes to a canister mounted on the fire wall that is to help pressurize the gas tank?...and the charcoal canister that is on the passenger fenderwell is that necessary for the truck to run clean?

where did you order your block off plates from...and where do you get the plugs for the vaccuum lines.

D44 front and Tundra rear...its coming
yotastar101x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 15607
Send a message via Yahoo to thewoodscrew
i have been looking looking for information on cleaning up the engine bay of my 82 pickup. i found this link earlier today, and it has some of the components that are recommended to keep: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ht=22r+cleaner

i also read somewhere that you can follow the vacuum diagrams for the canada trucks, since they have less vacuum lines.
thewoodscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 3933
I plumbed my 83 2wd 22R up like a 82 (?) 4x4 Canadian version. That eliminates the vacumn for the erg and smog pump stuff. Its shown in a haynes manual, I believe.
4RnrRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 24837
here's how i did it. i used an '83 canadian diagram. bought some block off plates from LC for the EGR and capped every vacuum line(ditched the metal vacuum lines and all the prehistoric emission control cluster fuck) except for the choke breaker, choke opener, AAP and vacuum advance. i don't use the HAI since i have a bling bling open element air cleaner and pluged the charcoal canister line since i don't have one of those either. drives perfectly hot or cold, wish i could've said the same for my POS weber i used to have.
Attached Images

longbeds rock!
kyle_22r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 46202
so you actually bought a kit to plug off the egr? roflmao dude just jb weld some pennies on it. much cheaper. and the plug off things for the vacume lines? just use some superglue or even gasketmaker works well. either way though know what you're going through always looking to reduce the amount of vacume lines under the hood.
fellowsped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 24837
i dont like booty fab, i prefer mine to look good as well

longbeds rock!
Old 05-20-2005, 01:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 5315
Yeah the plates are cheap as well as the pipe thread plugs for the intake manifold. I've just got the power brake line, the PCV and the distributor advance.....and it passed emissions with a minimal jetted carb.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 18089
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_22r
here's how i did it. i used an '83 canadian diagram. bought some block off plates from LC for the EGR and capped every vacuum line(ditched the metal vacuum lines and all the prehistoric emission control cluster fuck) except for the choke breaker, choke opener, AAP and vacuum advance. i don't use the HAI since i have a bling bling open element air cleaner and pluged the charcoal canister line since i don't have one of those either. drives perfectly hot or cold, wish i could've said the same for my POS weber i used to have.
Sure would love to know exactly how you ran your choke opener, choke breaker and AAP lines since they all go through the BVSV and you elimated it.

I've been having problems getting mine tuned in and it's got to be with the routing of my hoses. I just took my best guess as I didn't know much about this stuff before just tearing in to this one and rebuilding it. Runs fine, just not right. Would love it to run perfectly hot or cold.

Can ya help descibe or better yet, take some pics of your lines/routing???

BTW: I'm not for booty fab on my rigs either. I made my own egr b/o plates from a 1/4" think sheet of aluminium. Look great and can't tell I didn't buy em.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 24837
didn't eliminate the BVSV(if that's the thing on the pipe that runs to the port on the head between the #2 and #3 intake ports). it's still there.

however, the setup is getting junked in favor of an offenhauser intake and weber carb, since my 22R carb always ran lean and it only got worse once i did the 20R head swap. for the first few thousand miles before i started having problems with the choke itself and the fuel cut solenoid(i'm thinking my ancient wiring harness is only giving me weak power) it worked great, but right now the truck is down so i'm tinkering with the engine some more.

longbeds rock!
Old 10-23-2005, 10:52 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 18089
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_22r
didn't eliminate the BVSV(if that's the thing on the pipe that runs to the port on the head between the #2 and #3 intake ports). it's still there.

however, the setup is getting junked in favor of an offenhauser intake and weber carb, since my 22R carb always ran lean and it only got worse once i did the 20R head swap. for the first few thousand miles before i started having problems with the choke itself and the fuel cut solenoid(i'm thinking my ancient wiring harness is only giving me weak power) it worked great, but right now the truck is down so i'm tinkering with the engine some more.
How soon you junkin this system? I sure could use the BVSV's. Particularly the 3 port one. The AAP BVSV I believe. Would you be interested in selling it to me?