Pirate 4x4 banner

4runner fuel economy advice ?

982 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Brutpwr 
#1 ·
Im planning a trip accross the Simpson Desert in Australia. Its big and its got sand dunes to go over. There is quite a bit of sand really, so I hear.

I have a 1993 V6 petrol 4runner which does around 14L to 100km around town.

Does anyone have any experience for what I can expect in fuel "economy" in those offroad conditions (and no I'll be trying very hard to conserve fuel and not drive like a looney). There will be 2 adults plus luggage and enough food/water/fuel for 7 days and 1000Kms.

thanks if you can help ... well thanks too if you cant I suppose ...

Terry
(PS I know the obvious answer is double that city fuel economy. But with a total fuel capacity of 130L that means I have to carry around 8 20L jerry cans which isnt very funny. Im trying to be a bit smarter ! I really dont want to do that unless I absolutely have to. I also dont want to buy a diesel instead, because the jerry cans would be cheaper)

#4 ·
I know by your sig you have a long range fuel tank. It would mean moving the spare tire, but have you tried mounting a tank where the spare tire went? Other than that I'm not much help. Let me know how you do. I dig that desert stuff. I do it also but on a much smaller scale. I can usually find gas within a couple of days.

#5 ·
It may be a PITA, but I've see a 4cyl truck a long time ago that had a nother tank on the other side of the D-shaft... He cut the exhast short and out below the door... Had it tied in somehow so it can be filled from the same filler cap and was I think rigged with a pump the transfer the fuel into the stock tank with a switch. It was awhile ago, I wasn't into 4wheeling that much, or I would have payed mor attention.
It may be really hard with a v6...
That would give you 16 more gallons and no loss of cargo area
Sorry I don't have any pics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.