Bed-Mounted Radiator Problem. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2005, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 55439
Bed-Mounted Radiator Problem.

Ive recently purchased a 89 Toy Pickup with a 350 inside. The radiator was moved to the bed but is overheating...its not a very good job but the radiator is rather large. Should i invest in a high end racing water pump and high cfm fans and hope it cools it down or should i get a custome made radiator and place it inside the engine bay...at a higher cost i am sure.

The drawback to bay mounted is that i am affraid to get it really muddy as thats almost all i will be doing with the truck. ITs not for road use so asthetics arnt an issue.

Any comments greatly appreciated and i searched and read previous posts.
DD187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
4x Innovations

Member # 35227
Send a message via Yahoo to traxman25
which way are the fans pulling air?? That would matter. Also, if you're mudding your going to get it covered either way, more durty in the bed sometimes, but if you sink it will stay cleaner in the bed, unless you sink that bad). also check that the lines are big enough. With that much line the friction of the water/antifrezze on the lines will be fair, so bigger than stock lines would be needed. Also have you checked any soft lines for breakdown on the inside, like the inner wall collapsing? Just some thoughts for you
4xInnovations.com Use "pirate5" coupon code for 5% off!
traxman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2005, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 14367
Send a message via MSN to myeyesore
Are you positive you have all the air out of the lines? How often does it overheat, a few minutes after starting, after a day of running it? You shouldn't have issues getting it to stay cool. My little toy waterpump puts out enough pressure, the only problem is once it boils, you can't just fill it you have to bleed all the air out again, which can be a pain in the ass. Took me a while to develop a good system, but I've run it hard all day at the con, moonrocks, where it was about 100, and hollister, up tanktrap, and as long as I keep the fans running no problems.
myeyesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 55439
It overheats in about 15min of driving. THe first time i drove it, the hose blew off ...shot a huge jet of antifreeze into the air and completely slimed a guy in a minivan that was following me.
I filled it with some water i had and kept driving a bit after reconecting the hose then a smell started coming from the engine..the oil was boiling so that experience cost me 75$ worth of towing.

The fans are pulling the air away from the bed mounted radiator so away from the driver towards the tailgate.
Ill check the air in the lines like you suggested aswell as breakdown inside them. THe lines are soft black plastic diameter unknown. WHat should the hose diameter be?

Here are some pics of the truck, its truly awesome and i got it cheap but has some light issues that with the forum help will be fixed.
DD187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 4836
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD187
The fans are pulling the air away from the bed mounted radiator so away from the driver towards the tailgate.

1. Is there room in the front of the radiator? You say "bed mounted" but blows "towards the tailgate"? It's not mounted against the cab is it? If you still have a complete bed in your truck then you are basically getting no 'natural' air flow from speed. Most are mounted at some sort of an angle to get some benefit of wind. Is the fan behind the radiator? So it's a puller? You want a puller and not a pusher type for optimum cooling.

2. Do you have a fan SHROUD covering the entire fan?

Don't know what kind of fan your running but if it's not a Ford Taurus fan, I think it's the best route to go for fans. Search "Taurus" here on the toyota forum and you'll get lots of info. You can get em for $30 or less from junk yards

3. I wouldn't invest in a $100+ high flow h20 pump either. Think about it; If it's not cooling going through your entire system, with all the tubing going to the bed and back again at a 'slow' speed, then it will be even hotter going through faster with the high flow H20 pump.
FZJ80 40th - TLCA #8958
1984 4runner; rubicon tested mother approved SOLD

Last edited by 84runner; 10-13-2005 at 08:55 PM.
84runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 55088
You might put one of those reverse air spoilers on the top rear of the cab, you know like some SUVs have to pull air from the top down onto the rear windshield to keep dust off of it

Reverse-Spoiler-mabob

Last edited by Nakht; 10-13-2005 at 09:05 PM.
Nakht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 15587
Not sure about a 350,,but with my 22r I had to fill the motor through the thermostat housing to get it to bleed the air pockets out..for some reason it would not do it through the rad in the bed even with the cap off..
Old 10-14-2005, 08:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 14367
Send a message via MSN to myeyesore
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4x42u
Not sure about a 350,,but with my 22r I had to fill the motor through the thermostat housing to get it to bleed the air pockets out..for some reason it would not do it through the rad in the bed even with the cap off..

I would bet that this is you're problem. Once you blew your line, air got into the lines in the motor, and fluid isnt flowing. Try pulling your return line to the radiator and see how much pressue you get when its running should be rocketing out, I bet it's not. Im also not positive on the 350 but I fill through my thermostat hole on my truck too, find a high point on the system on you're motor and you've got to bleed that too. Pain in the ass.

Also try putting a garden hose in your fill hole on the radiator, pull your return line off the radiator, turn on hose and truck and see if you can flush the air out of that son of a bitch. I would bet that you have air, becasue of the line blowing off, just filling it. Like was said you can no longer just fill your radiator, unless you have a petcock or some other way to bleed the air from the higest point on your motor.

Last edited by myeyesore; 10-14-2005 at 08:11 AM.
myeyesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 36396
Location: usually on bottom or behind unless locked in a 69. OR USA
Send a message via Yahoo to no excuses
I would put some good after market fans on it, duals if u have room. Make sure you have a good shroud on it also. Get rid of those soft hose and run 2" exhaust pipe from the radiator to the front of motor. Do not run a after market high speed type fan, it will probably move the water to fast and it will not spend enuff time in radiator to cool down properly.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 84074
I want to mount my radiator on the exocage behind the cab, does the 22r factory waterpump put off enough pressure to circulate the coolent all the way to the bed? I plan on running duel taurus fans with a home made shroud. ANyone got a pic of there set up like this?
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 02-16-2009, 05:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
RTA

Member # 73430
I put mine n the back too and had a few problems. Air pocket!

I put a bleeder at the highest point in the radiator hose up next to the thermostat. Open it up go back to the radiator and start filling the water pushes the air out the valve.

22RE stock water pump and radiator pushes plenty of water. Taurus fan is the best!
Attached Images

RTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:02 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 84074
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTA View Post

I put a bleeder at the highest point in the radiator hose up next to the thermostat. Open it up go back to the radiator and start filling the water pushes the air out the valve.

22RE stock water pump and radiator pushes plenty of water. Taurus fan is the best!
Thank You!!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 85972
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTA View Post

everything i was gonna say! i had a rear radiator too. the taurus fan ($25) and a bleeder (free from my garage) did the trick. those rear mounted radiators don't get airflow like they do in the front. but it's nice for weight transfer and freeing up room under the hood.

Authorized Ruffstuff dealer- pm me for pirate discount and free shipping on orders over $100.

ADS Racing Shocks- I can save you money on those too!

Website http://hellfire-fabworks.com/

Last edited by billybob13; 02-16-2009 at 01:20 PM.
billybob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 124547
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob13 View Post
those rear mounted radiators don't get airflow like they do in the front. but it's nice for weight transfer and freeing up room under the hood.
not nearly as big a problem is it's an offroad only vehicle that doesn't see significant speeds though... highway speeds are where the problems occur because air is channelled away from that location.