3.0 V6 valve lash shims... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2005, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 24496
3.0 V6 valve lash shims...

Since we're talking about 3.0's today, I guess this is the time to ask (since I'm about to swap some cams out of a junk one into the one I have sitting on my garage floor)....

The shims, should they have a small dimple in the top center of them? It seems some of them have more dimple than the others... how much dimple is acceptable. This may be a moot point since I'll probably have to change them with the different cams... but, I may get away with not having to change them if the lash is right.

This motor was taken apart because it "had a top-end tick"... I've never heard it run, so I have no clue what could be the cause of this "top-end tick", or if it was even something to be worried about, I'm just putting it back together and putting it back in the truck it came out of so I can sell it. I was told the cams were flat when the motor was taken out, so this may be the issue...

Anyone give me their opinions here... I guess I'm just fishing for a little advice before I Just Do It, y'know?
NotMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 481
...not wanting to steal this thread but does anyone know the outside diameter of the shims? I have a bunch of shims from other applications and am wondering if any will work if they don't have the dimples referenced above...

Jason
Brutpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2005, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 24496
Well, took the other motor I got apart and none of them have dimples, so I'm guessing that the ones in the first motor were way worn, possibly a cause or symptom of the cams being flat, thus causing the very loud ticking as the valve lash was way out of spec. I'm going to swap the shims from the 2nd motor into the first and see what the lash is like and start from there...
Old 10-25-2005, 11:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 39959
I've done a few valve adjustments and have never noticed any dimples.
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 24496
Well it's all beside the point now... I noticed as I was working on the motor that was supposedly "good but had a top-end tick" that 4 of the head bolts were missing on one side... removed the head and lo-and-behold, looks like the fawker sold me a motor with a blown head gasket that sat for quite a while... rust all over the place, pitted cylinder walls, yada yada.

So, now I'm looking at rebuilding one or the other... or possibly swapping the rotating assembly out of the blow HG motor into the rod-knock motor with new rings and a hone. Not sure what I will do yet, but I will be giving the guy a piece of my mind for sure.