Pirate 4x4 banner

engnbldr timing gear broke

5K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  BennyBoy 
#1 ·
On my stock runner I installed the engnbldr timing set with oil pump and everything was red locktited and tourqed to toyota factory manuel specs. After about 5000 miles the trucke stoped running north of denver miles from anything. So far I pulled the valve cover off and looking down with a flash light I can see that at least 3 teeth on the crank gear are broken and shavings are in the front of the valve cover. son of a bitch! anyway I'm not so happy with the quality so far. does anybody know if these are warranted, If so is it worth it? From what I have read on this forum everybody loves this companies product. has anybody had a similar experience like this yet? I can't think of why this could happen exept for a defective gear.

#3 ·
I bought a set from him on e bay and there it said 2 year warranty on all parts... might want to call him

#6 ·
I don't think this sounds like vendor bashing. Asking for other's experience with a company isn't such a bad thing. He didn't say engnbldr sucks or anything. He just asked if anyone else has had this problem with EB parts.

I do not know why teeth would chip on a timing gear unless something was caught up in them or they were rubbing on something enough to get hot. Material defect is also a possibility.

I do not know who supplies EB's timing chain sets, but I'm sure they will at the very least replace your timing set. They are good people over there. Just explain what happened and see what they have to say.

#7 · (Edited)
engnbldr

I bought the timing set from engnbldr, and I have way over 5,000 miles on mine. I think that engnbldr would be more than willing to warranty the parts, but the labor to do it is where it sucks for you. I hope everything works out okay! I have to admit, that I only bought the engnbldr product because of the price, and I had heard nothing but great reviews on his product. This is the first problem I have heard related to a engnbldr product yet!

#8 ·
TheBandit said:
I don't think this sounds like vendor bashing. Asking for other's experience with a company isn't such a bad thing. He didn't say engnbldr sucks or anything. He just asked if anyone else has had this problem with EB parts.
I agree. Nothing wrong with asking simple questions about experiences... after all isn't that what makes up this entire site.
Gnarls.:smokin:

#12 ·
I am definatly not bashing anyone, engnbldr has been very helpful and has had fast shipping on everything I have purchased. I am happy with my experience. just mearly looking for peoples experience to give me the peace of mind that it was a freak thing so that I feel comfortble puting the same parts back on after all that work, a second time. I really apprieciate the helpful coments. thank you.:cool2:

#14 ·
Hi, Steve!

Well, just dang! I wander in here and here we are not even a week into the New Year and a prob.

Sometimes I can diagnose, sometimes things are all torn to POO and all I can do is cuss and scratch my old bald head and try to fix the trouble.

Stuff breaks sometimes, maybe just a defect. I would guess that if YOU screwed something up, you would be unhappy a LOT sooner than 5000 miles, so yea, probably a piece of metal just broke.

I will replace the entire set of course and I really DO want it in my hands to see if I can figure out why, please?

So far I have tried ALL possible suppliers I can find, but no matter what I do or who I buy from or how much money I spend on items, I get 1% back, usually because of a tensioner, (long bolt, overtorque, dirt, something forgotten, etc.) Normally with an unhappy email telling me that MY timing set broke! *Something about that 3 year warrenty no matter what means they become MINE again if anything goes wrong.

Well, it's what I say so it's what I will do.

But a broken lower gear? I have just one other in my stack of OHNO's , really strange.

You also will likely have some valves bent, let me know how many, I will send you those and a head set.

My apologies, I knew things were going too smoothly the last couple of months, sorry for the troubles.......*EB

#15 ·
This is what I call great customer service.

engnbldr said:
Hi, Steve!

Well, just dang! I wander in here and here we are not even a week into the New Year and a prob.

Sometimes I can diagnose, sometimes things are all torn to POO and all I can do is cuss and scratch my old bald head and try to fix the trouble.

Stuff breaks sometimes, maybe just a defect. I would guess that if YOU screwed something up, you would be unhappy a LOT sooner than 5000 miles, so yea, probably a piece of metal just broke.

I will replace the entire set of course and I really DO want it in my hands to see if I can figure out why, please?

So far I have tried ALL possible suppliers I can find, but no matter what I do or who I buy from or how much money I spend on items, I get 1% back, usually because of a tensioner, (long bolt, overtorque, dirt, something forgotten, etc.) Normally with an unhappy email telling me that MY timing set broke! *Something about that 3 year warrenty no matter what means they become MINE again if anything goes wrong.

But a broken lower gear? I have just one other in my stack of OHNO's , really strange.

You also will likely have some valves bent, let me know how many, I will send you those and a head set.

My apologies, I knew things were going too smoothly the last couple of months, sorry for the troubles.......*EB

#16 ·
engnbldr said:
Hi, Steve!

This businessman is at the top of the list for "class acts"!! Customer Service doesn't get any better!! (I speak with some experience, I've been in Sales & Marketing for over 35 years!)
Gnarls.:smokin:

#18 ·
word of advice:

when you pull apart the front of the engine to replace the timing chain, check the oil pump drive spline that slides over the woodruff key on the crankshaft. check it very, very carefully. if a previous owner or a dumbshit mechaninc did not torque the crank pully bolt, it can crack the drive spline, usually right at the groove for the crank, and then it can make a mess of everything. this is a re-used part, it doesnlt come with any rebuild kit or replacement oil pump, so it's probably been there the life of the engine..

#20 ·
I've had 2 good and 1 bad for the three time I bought his stuff.
The good were his SS valves and springs(very nice stuff!). The bad was a set
of rockers that were such poor quality, my machinist told me that he would not work on my parts if I used them. I went with Toyota for the rockers.
Ted was very nice and gave me a refund.

If what you say is true? I dont feel your bashing. Folks need to know the good and bad about resellers.

I would not let what the board drones say bother you, You've got a right to honestly speak your mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.