22r change to 22re possible ? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2006, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 65880
Send a message via Yahoo to Flagstaff Off Road
22r change to 22re possible ?

Just wanted to make sure, if i can use a 22r engine in a 88 toyota with a 22re engine ?
The engine in the 88 truck is waisted and i have a good running 22r, can i just change the intake from carb to efi ? or what else do i need to change ? to make the 22r engine work in the 88 truck ?
Flagstaff Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Linkoligist...

Member # 44474
Send a message via AIM to 86Yota4.70
Yes it will be fine just use your re intake..... But next time SEARCH!

*Support 81 Worldwide*

HereticFab.com..
Your source for everything to do with link suspension!
-4130 Heat Treated Links/Control Arms
-Heims, jam nut's, and spacer's
-Brackets from numerous vendors in one place

www.Mixchallenge.info
86Yota4.70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2006, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Angry Gecko

Member # 23744
Location: White Mtns., Arizona... it's on the map, just not on any map!
What year 22r? it makes a difference!

And 86yota4.7, if you didn't know that don't answer! If he has an early 22r w/ no bosses on the head to bolt up his efi intake he would be pissed! Pluss the knock sensor and other crap!!!
Old 02-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 33438
Flecker,
I read in a post once that the cam's from a carburated motor are different than a EFI motor. I searched and searched but couldn't find any info on this. wanna shed some light on it?

my set up is a 87 that I put into an 89. If theres any truth to this I thought this guy should know also.
binderbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11570
There seems maybe a difference in duration....

one big difference is that EFI cams don't have the eccentric to drive a mechanical fuel pump.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 33438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar
There seems maybe a difference in duration....

one big difference is that EFI cams don't have the eccentric to drive a mechanical fuel pump.
I stuck with the EFI so the fuel pump issue is obsolete. How much of an issue is the duration? enough to worry about it or not.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Angry Gecko

Member # 23744
Quote:
Originally Posted by binderbart

I stuck with the EFI so the fuel pump issue is obsolete. How much of an issue is the duration? enough to worry about it or not.
Really... the difference is not that huge, people run 22r cams in re's all the time. Like mentiond above though the main difference is the eccentric vs. concentric w/ can be changed easily enough. Look at Crane and others cam sites... they sell the same grind for either motor.

So far as the early heads and efi it's a PIA w/ having to thread bosses and some early's don't even have the bosses!
Old 02-21-2006, 03:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 33438
Quote:
Originally Posted by flecker
Really... the difference is not that huge, people run 22r cams in re's all the time. Like mentiond above though the main difference is the eccentric vs. concentric w/ can be changed easily enough. Look at Crane and others cam sites... they sell the same grind for either motor.

So far as the early heads and efi it's a PIA w/ having to thread bosses and some early's don't even have the bosses!

I understand where you coming from. The engine out of the 87 is in the 89 and running. I just wondered if the cam difference is something to be concerned about or not. Seems like it's not. Thank you for the info. Its actually a sigh of relief.

The 87 was rusted beyond all repair. I knew the guy that had it previously. He had an accident with a split rim and won a lot of money on a settlement. Loved the 87 toyota. Spent some serious money on it. Rumor has it he had the engine rebuilt with a steel crank and all the goods. Thats why I swapped that engine into the 89. You ought to hear it run. smooth. No pinging or lifter noise or nothing. Sounds like it had some work done. I haven't been able to get ahold of this guy to see what all was put in it. Just stories for now.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 65880
Send a message via Yahoo to Flagstaff Off Road
Ok, now i am lost, thank you flecker for clearing some things up, but now i have more questions than before. What do you mean with bosses ? and where is the knock sensor ? oh yeah the 22r is a 1980 looking at it it looks like the 22re one could not see a difference between the 2, block and head i mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flecker
What year 22r? it makes a difference!

And 86yota4.7, if you didn't know that don't answer! If he has an early 22r w/ no bosses on the head to bolt up his efi intake he would be pissed! Pluss the knock sensor and other crap!!!
Flagstaff Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 102
1980 aint gonna work at least 84
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Angry Gecko

Member # 23744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagstaff Off Road
Ok, now i am lost, thank you flecker for clearing some things up, but now i have more questions than before. What do you mean with bosses ? and where is the knock sensor ? oh yeah the 22r is a 1980 looking at it it looks like the 22re one could not see a difference between the 2, block and head i mean.
83 and up 22R's have the right heads on them... ie; the bosses are drilled and tapped so the efi intake just bolts right up... The early (some 82's and 83's) have the bosses but aren't drilled and tapped and anything below that has no bosses. Plus if it's an 80 it's most likely a 20R and won't work without some machining big time!!!! You either go carbed or just rebuild/ build another motor! There were some changes to the block and heads on the 20r-22r, and then some changes on the 22r(84)- the later 22r(85 and up!). Can youy send me a pic or post a pic of what you have?>

On the 83 and 84, theres actually a hole for the knock sensor... before that nope, but most weld a nut to the motor mount or something...

Last edited by flecker; 02-21-2006 at 08:11 PM.
flecker is offline   Reply With Quote