Pirate 4x4 banner

Tons underneath build..

269K views 671 replies 166 participants last post by  RockJock'd YJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Tons underneath build. New owner.

I'm in the process of building a 87 x-cab with CUCV ton axles, 4.3TBI, 700r4, dual cases, All-Pro springs, BTF high steer, aluminum 17x9 Trailready's and 39.5" Iroks. This pic is from today, I'll post the previous pics soon. It's friggin to tall I know. All the suspension mounts are tacked in until I get all the truck together and see how it's going to sit, then I'll adjust accordingly. Right now the wheelbase is 106", but if you look it can be lenghtened about 7". Tell me what you think on the wheelbase or for that matter any of it. "Good,Bad or Ugly" I may have missed or not thought of something.
It's going to get a full exo and tube bed unless I can come across a good bed. Right now I'm just putting everything together to make sure it all works and then I'm going to take it apart and paint it all.

See less See more
#104 ·
With this low of a stance, the shock hoops are definately coming through the hood a little....

That's a sexy tractor......Shockhoops thru the hood look kickass. Sic ass build Yo!

#93 ·
wow!

I have been building my truck for about a year now...and I hadn't even thought about hacking out the firewall to move the motor back...very cool idea man...I love the low stance...make my rig look like a mud bogger...

#95 ·
My idea was to see how much we could keep, just to keep it looking clean. I'm not big on seeing the whole engine bay through the wheel wells. Now seeing where he's at, we might do something different. Don't want to hurt wheel trave. Maybe Tim has an idea and will chime in. I've pretty much let the artist do the painting, if you know what i mean. :smokin:

#107 ·
We always kick funny ideas around in the shop.

One of the first things said here was "I'd put a cooler up there.... and maybe a burrito cooker... I can see it now, jump out and pop the hood.. dig in elbow deep with both arms and come out with lunch" :flipoff2:

-Tim

#119 ·
I've had the idea for a while. since Allen had the assist and needed a different pitman arm anyway, I ran the idea of cutting his up and setting it up this way. I like it, good protection for the assist ram and easier hose management. Building the Arm only took a few hours, but I have most of a day in thinking it through and drawing it out. It would have been a lot simplier if the arm could have been left straight, but I mounted the steering box at a slight angle and it complicated things slightly. I had to make a jig for the press to put that step in the arm:shaking:

I don't have the means of producing something like this more than one off versions..(yet) but, something along this idea would be nice in a kit.

-Tim

#122 ·
No... the ram gets power from the steering box. The valve in the steering box deflects and pressurizes the upper or lower cylinder according to which way you are turning.

Unless the steering box bottoms out and the ram is still getting power, there will be no more stress than a regular ram assist setup.

#121 ·
that is what i was thinking, it seems like it would put a lot of the strain right on the box. i have no idea if it would or not, but i was just wondering, either way it is a bad ass idea

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.