propane conversion on 22R - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2006, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 47031
propane conversion on 22R

i tried to search and i guess the search feature is down while they do some upgrading....anyways...i have a 87 22r and i need to do some sort of injection.....I have been really looking into the propane option....I have found two different kits one kit is $995 and the other kit is $695....one is from gotpropane and the other is off of eaby......wanted to see if anyone on here used the gotpropane kit and the feed back on it before i drop $1000 or should i just got the EFI route....this will see a little street use and a lot of trail.....thanks..
toytube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 15343
I run the gotpropane set up and love it...my rig also sees very little street use so it works out great for me......
worth the money IMO cause Im not very good at wireing up a EFI and the gotpropane set up is very easy to install ....
Old 05-31-2006, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 33200
I just ordered the gotPropane system for my 85 22re x-cab on friday...when gas went over $3/gal + all the other bennies from propane I decided to do it....I looked for a long time before I went with them...Its not cheap but its a tested Kit and their designs got all the bug's worked out..plus the guys there are really helpful with ? and tech stuff..Ive called them twice with tech questions and havent even got my Kit yet

The EFI kit is really cool..basically yank all the fuel injection/smog stuff/gas tank..keep the EFI manifold and bolt the mixer to the front in place of the the throttle body..you can keep the injectors in or plug the holes (I tapped em and put in bolts)...then get a mech distributor from a non EFI 22r or 20r and your all set...If you get the kit get the BBQ bottle fill adapter for emergency's...

Best part for me is in Oregon the state will pay you up to $750 of the conversion cost..and now my truck is registered as an alterantive fuel vehicle so the DEQ can kiss my ass
Old 05-31-2006, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 40315
What's this about OR paying for part of the conversion? I'd be even more interested if I had some more info!!!
Yellow Yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
haulin or crawlin

Member # 34807
Send a message via AIM to tufluv82toy
got propane

Give Kerry a call at got propane. Most the kits on ebay are using forklift stuff that is fine but undersized for the size of the 22r and the rpms a truck will see. This is why fork lifts only rev to like 3000 rpm. Kerry knows his propane, even had a lawn mower on propane. He lives and breathes propane. Awsome customer support, clean simple safe kits that are ready to rip.
tufluv82toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 33200
The State of Oregon gives a tax credit for 25% of the total cost to convert the vehicle to an alterative fuel up to $750 max...they also pay 25% of the total cost up to $750 max for a charging/refilling station built at your residence...so in theory you could save $1500 if you worked it out correcty...this works for any alternative fuel vehicle IE..veggie oil, electric, propane, bio diesel and a few more...

Poke around here for more info:

http://www.oregon.gov/ENERGY/TRANS/altfuels.shtml
Old 06-01-2006, 05:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 36007
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ht=propane+22r

Here's one I found. You'll need a red star to search. Cary at gotpropane has all the answers and parts you need. Been running his kit for over a year with no problems.
FT#48 build
"I wanna get me a truck and soop it up with some metal!" -Wingo
mtbrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 21027
Didn't buy a kit, but converted my 22r over to propane by buying some parts, and swapping for others. By far the best investment you can make for your fuel system. After rounding up all the parts myself, I can say that the Gotpropane kit is not a bad deal. I saved around $300.00, but it took six months of searching to locate all the parts and get them shipped out. The kit is complete with everything but the bottle I believe.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 17513
the got propane kit is complete and works flawlessly we have it on a couple rigs an 85xtra cab and formula 20 i have personally see both rigs running upside down and never had a problem they work so well i'm swaping out my 3.0 for a 22r .

www.heavymetalfabshop.com

WWW.TEAMHMF.COM
surfptrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 13364
Send a message via MSN to SlawDog1
I run the gotpropane kit and it works great.

I run on the street daily and wheel as much as possible great set-up

Give them a call!

Very clean easy set-up

Dave
1991 4-runner :slawdog #4
1980 4x4 pickup : slawdog #7
1961 vw baja w/ 22r (so cool)

Hot dogs and coleslaw is good!
SlawDog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 47031
i talked with Cary today GREAT GUY....
the guy will tell you exactly what the down low is on the kit...the pros and cons....the con list is very SHORT!!!....

i know a guy that runs a kit from a fork lift...NO GOOD.....the truck falls on its face at about 3500 rpm.....no good....

the gotpropane seems hands down the kit to get....

Last edited by toytube; 06-01-2006 at 06:37 PM.
toytube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 69751
Send a message via AIM to j2005 Send a message via Skype™ to j2005
i hate to hi jack but i was wondering if anyone else was running one of these kits on the street as well as the trail and if there was an increase of power

Last edited by j2005; 06-01-2006 at 10:35 PM.
j2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 04:18 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 33200
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2005
i hate to hi jack but i was wondering if anyone else was running one of these kits on the street as well as the trail and if there was an increase of power
the power is relative to how your engine is built..propane lets you run a higher compression ratio (like 11 1/2 to one) and you can advance the hell outa the timing...you do this and lack of power is not an issue..not to mention..no warm up..runs upside down and backwards..runs the same at any altitude..no carbon build up inside the engine...oil stays the same color as the day you put it in..propane doesn't go bad and can be stored practicaly forever...less risk of an explosion in a crash..the list goes on
Old 06-02-2006, 10:42 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 15959
lpg just plain has less btu/gallon than gasoline, so you definitely have to do some things to get the power back. I don't know how much of a difference these toyota kits are, but I know my jeep running a 258 w/recurved & advanced dist. still gets about 10-20% less power & mileage on lpg than gasoline. IMO, running propane does not make for a very street friendly vehicle-- not because it runs bad [runs great!], but primarily because it is a pain to fill up. There is no filling up at weird hours, or stopping at a whim to add more fuel to your tank. There was a few times I had to get towed home because I had no more fuel @ 12:00 at night-- really annoying to drive right by a gas station & not be able to add fuel!.

On a side note though, the further away you get from the city, it actually gets easier to fill up.

I am very fond of the conversion, I just don't think it is the right move for a vehicle that sees more than 50% road-duty. IMHO, the pros do outweigh the cons for the conversion in a carbed vehicle [no reason to convert an efi vehicle imo], but just not on a DD.

However all that being said, I would NEVER pay over $300 for any complete setup [including tank]. I had about $150 into my setup[$100 for tank, impco 225 mixer, model E vaporizer, century lock-off valve, 8 gal. tank & $50 for misc], and it worked great. Just go on ebay, and pay $150 for some junk-yard kit out of Canada [at least that is usually where they seem to come from, lol], and then buy yourself a tank. I am pretty sure any necessary adapter to run on the toy engine does not cost the $500 to justify the kit.

IMO, buy used, put it on, and then if you really want to get the best bang for your buck, find a shop that knows lpg that can tune your rig on a dyno. I found my local suburban propane service shop was more than helpful.

Also, don't forget to address the timing in your motor. A quick search [ Pirate is retarded for requiring $$$ to search ] should be able to find a picture of how a lpg ignition curve varies over a gasoline curve. I had about 4* more total advance than on gasoline, and a much softer spring in the dist. No longer need the vacuum advance. In hindsight, I would get a lighter spring & 2* more total advance.

Last edited by bigjeepguy; 06-02-2006 at 10:47 AM.
bigjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:50 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 15959
On a side note, what mixer do these kits come with? I would think an impco 225 would make a nice mixer for a 22r.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:17 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeepguy
On a side note, what mixer do these kits come with? I would think an impco 225 would make a nice mixer for a 22r.
Our "Got Propane" kit works great on our Formula Toy and it runs at any angle. Our kit included the impco 200 mixer.

Chris Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote