Trail-gear 3" vs 4" - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2006, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 11702
Trail-gear 3" vs 4"

I've been searching around for advice on which springs to get in the IFS Elimator kit. At first I had decided that I would go with the 3" springs. My 4runner currently has a Procomp Stage II 4" lift on it, with a 2 " body lift. I want to run a 35-37" tire, nothing bigger, ( not afraid to cut up the fenders to make them fit) but dont want my 4runner to sit any higher than it already does. I just added the 2" body lift, and can easily run 35s now...I just dont have them yet...

Are the 3" springs going to be to soft for a semi daily driver? My 4runner is turning into more of a trail only rig everyday, so thats not much of a concern.

I currently run 63" chevy springs in the back.
Its my understanding that the 3" kit is suited more to buggys than 4runners. I know that 4runners weigh more, but their website is primarly concerned with the rear springs. I am worried with the possible addition of weight from batterys, bumper, and maybe a winch, that the 3" springs might not cut it.

So should I order the 3" kit or the 4" kit? Anybody out there that has ran the 3" kit, on a first gen 4runner, that could send me some pics?

Also, I currently have a 22re, but want to swap to the 3rzfe in the future, so I will always be running a 4cyc...

Thanks for your advice guys!

Last edited by iregret; 06-02-2006 at 12:26 AM.
iregret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
3" spring has a 10% higher spring frate than 4" according to geiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZukIzzy View Post
Oh and Frequency is for radios
We are all born Arminians. It is grace that turns us into Calvinists
-George Whitefield
mobil1syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2006, 07:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 21097
I run the 3" on my 904runner 3.0, they seem to be holding up fine on the street, haven't gotten to wheel it yet though. Mine sits way to high for my taste and I'm running 37's.....you should have plenty of room with you 2" BL. You probably be way too tall.

85 Yoata Truck, Marlin Dual,4:88,37 MTR, funky camo job,sky-steer,bobbed 15",custom sliders,on board air, waggy fronts, 5012's (sold)

New 90 4Runner, SAS, 3.0, Auto, 5.29's, ARB's, chevy's, 37's.
85BADGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 11702
85Badger, I read your post and that kind of surprised me. I have also read other posts with people claiming to be running 4" or 5" springs, and their rigs dont look nearly as high.

I cant see how mine being a first gen 4runner would make a difference in the lift. I know this sounds retarded of me, but are you absolutely sure that you got the 3" springs? I mean, it looks like it sits really high.

molbil1syn, about the springs having a 10% higher spring rate than the 4" ones. Can you tell me a little bit more info about this. I guess I dont fully understand spring rates, how does a 3" spring have more than a 4"? And, can you relate that to a real world senerio? Does that mean more flex? Harsher ride?

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 28878
Here is my rig right after the install of Marlin's 4" kit on 35s. With the hard top, CO2 tank and spare in the rear it does sag. IMO, loose the 2" body lift and run 4" spings up front and 5" in the rear if you have the hard top.
shoyrtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 21097
Quote:
Originally Posted by iregret
85Badger, I read your post and that kind of surprised me. I have also read other posts with people claiming to be running 4" or 5" springs, and their rigs dont look nearly as high.

I cant see how mine being a first gen 4runner would make a difference in the lift. I know this sounds retarded of me, but are you absolutely sure that you got the 3" springs? I mean, it looks like it sits really high.
I personally talked to Chris G. about these springs when ordering them, so yes they are the 3". I agree with shoyrtt........loose the BL for sure.
85 Yoata Truck, Marlin Dual,4:88,37 MTR, funky camo job,sky-steer,bobbed 15",custom sliders,on board air, waggy fronts, 5012's (sold)

New 90 4Runner, SAS, 3.0, Auto, 5.29's, ARB's, chevy's, 37's.
85BADGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 26
I just finished installing our front and rear kit on a 89 Pickup. This truck has the V6 motor so I moved the front hanger forward 3/4" for extra clearance between the large v6 oil pan and the tie rod. This left plenty of clearance for the pan. The net result of the lift is that the frame is now 28" from the ground with a new set of 35" ProComp tires installed. This truck also has a 2" body lift installed.

Moving the front hanger forward as we did also helps with tire clearance at the firewall for fitting 37's.

When Installing this kit on a first gen 4Runner with the top installed or a second gen 4Runner I recommend using a 1" taller spring in the rear. We can also provide longer shackle plates for making small adjustments in ride height.
Chris Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 17625
What size springs?

the 3" or the 4"
84rocktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84rocktoy
the 3" or the 4"
I used the 4" springs front and rear.
Chris Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 31353
Send a message via AIM to Kaptain
Go with the 3" springs.. I'm running them with a 2" bl and there's plenty of room for 35's. If it wasn't for the drivetrain/gas tank lift I would take out the
body lift.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 44056
Send a message via AIM to Thews Runner
I have 3" and a 1" body lift and my 42's dont rub hust move your axle as forword as possable
Thews Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 16789
I'm running the 4" springs in the rear of my 86, and love them. Get rid of the body lift, and run the 4"ers.

Wanted! Solid axle steering boxes from 1979-1985 toyota pick-ups and four runners. PM me for details.
Wanted! Power assist Rams and Valves from 75-77 Ford F-250's. PM me for details.
$78 for Toyota front knuckle rebuild kits DELIVERED!! PM me for details.
montezuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 22565
chris i love the video ,links on ur web page, keep testing the products, "ya all have a good one" later from the east coast.
NCtoy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 42365
you could fit 40s under that truck probably...

Old 06-02-2006, 04:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 39522

That thing is tall!

Here is my dads pickup with the just installed trail gear 4'' kit on 35'' tires.

Attached Images

Last edited by OliveToy; 06-02-2006 at 04:51 PM.
OliveToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 11702
See, thats what im talking about. The trail gear truck looks huge, and your dads truck looks just right. Im not worried about relying on the lift to clear the tires. I will cut the body in order to make them fit. The reason for lifting the body, was additional tire clearance(obviously), and lifting the drive terrian.

I plan on moving the axle forward some. I have read that the springs will end up moving it forward by themselves, and then I can redrill the spring perches on the housing. Thats all the farther forward I had planned on moving it. Should I consider moving it farther? If so, whats the best way to move it farther forward?

So I think that I am going to go with the 3" spring kit, keep the body lift for now. See how it looks, and maybe take it out. I mean, its not like it really takes all that much time to take it out...

I was really hoping that the 3" springs would lift the truck as much as the 4" procomp lift does. I would like to keep the chevy springs in the back, I have had pretty good luck with them. If it doesnt end up working out, I will get the rear lift kit from trail-gear. I will go with the 4" rear kit as recommended. I have about 200lbs in speakers back there, plus I havent built the rear bumper yet...and the spare tire....tools... yadda... yadda..

Thanks for the help guys...
Old 06-02-2006, 08:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Clothing Optional

Member # 31499
4" Trail-Gear fronts and 38" tires
Attached Images

locktup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Clothing Optional

Member # 31499
4" Trail-Gear front and rear 37" tires
Attached Images

locktup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 04:42 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 21184
[QUOTE=iregret]See, thats what im talking about. The trail gear truck looks huge, and your dads truck looks just right.

The Trail Gear truck has a body lift, and the other one doesn't.

I was really hoping that the 3" springs would lift the truck as much as the 4" procomp lift does.

Doesn't sound very realistic to me. But, I don't have one. I've been looking at Marlin's kit. If you're gonna run a decent winch and dual batteries under the hood, I'd think twice.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:18 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 2279
Send a message via MSN to ColdNorth
...Keep in mind that the IFS Eliminator kit provides 1" of lift all by itself via a drop in the hanger and longer shackles, so the 3" spring on the IFS Eliminator kit will be 4" of lift. Also, somewhere on here is a guy with a white 4Runner and 5" TG's up front with 4" Procomps out back. But I can't find a link.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:36 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 11702
I am aware that the trail gear truck has a body lift on it, and the fact that the 3" spring, with the shackle, adds 4" of lift. Thats why I wanted it. I was just wondering how it compared to the 4" IFS lift, height wise. I suppose it also depends on where the torsion bars are cranked. I just dont have the money right now to go ahead and get the rear spring kit. So, I was wanting to run chevys for as long as I can.

Why dont you think this sounds realistic? Looking at the pictures that were posted, it looks very realistic to me. I mean that second gen 4runner looks giant! Speaking of that, have you had a chance to break them in? Have they settled at all?

Thanks