Pirate 4x4 banner

What lenght shocks in the rear?

943 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  4CrawlR 
#1 ·
I am curious as to what lenght shocks you guys are running in the rear with your leafspring set up? I'm almost positive that my shocks are preventing me from flexing. My springs are superlift 4"ers, but they raised the rear closer to 8":confused: . Thats why I say that the shocks are limiting the downtravel because the 4" lift shocks look way too stretched out. Maybe the stiff springs tho, I dunno....

Maybe some one could help, without being cruel. What lenght(extended and compressed) shocks sould I look for?

#4 ·
Big thanks to the both of you. I'll go out and measure. I really think its the springs being so stiff. You can jump up and down in the back of the truck and the springs DO NOT move! Should I just get some stock springs and lift it back with blocks?

#5 ·
Gerald said:
Big thanks to the both of you. I'll go out and measure. I really think its the springs being so stiff. You can jump up and down in the back of the truck and the springs DO NOT move! Should I just get some stock springs and lift it back with blocks?
Softer springs and big blocks=axle wrap which=breaking things!!!!!!

#9 ·
Yes, the springs are new in a way. They've been on the truck for about a year, but I never haul anything in the bed, so they never have wait on them. As far as the shackles go, they are stock. I dunno how long they are, but I haven't alterd them in any way. Yes, the springs have a hellova arch in them.
I you were to lay a board across both ends, they arch down about 6-7" in the middle. And thats on the truck.
How exactally do you "break in" new springs? And, the water in the back seems like a pretty good idea.

Thanks for all the great info! Anyone ealse have any tips?

#10 ·
#11 · (Edited)
Its probably a combo of your springs and shocks. Most "stock" out of the box lifts are going to flex like $hit. I remember back in the day I bought the 7" skyjacker "soft ride" suspension. I might as well have lifted my rig with cinder blocks!!! :eek: If your springs have been on a year and you drive it regularly then they are as broken in as they are going to get. Save yourself some trouble and plant your butt in front of the PC and do a TON of research, I suggest doing to the good ol toy rears up front, 63" chevy's in the rear setup. You will get more flex than you ask for and it will ride like a caddy on the steet! :D READ THE FAQ! Read it until you can recite it by memory on the spot! I gaurantee you will never have to ask a question again!!! :beer:

#12 ·
Gerald said:
Yes, the springs are new in a way. They've been on the truck for about a year, but I never haul anything in the bed, so they never have wait on them. As far as the shackles go, they are stock. I dunno how long they are, but I haven't alterd them in any way. Yes, the springs have a hellova arch in them.
I you were to lay a board across both ends, they arch down about 6-7" in the middle. And thats on the truck.
How exactally do you "break in" new springs? And, the water in the back seems like a pretty good idea.

Thanks for all the great info! Anyone ealse have any tips?
With stock shackles and highly arched springs, you may be running into the shackle hitting the frame if the springs flatten out at all. One thing that you can do is set up some ramps and spend a few hours snooping around under the truck, trying various things:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Ramp.shtml
Measure travel, disconnect shocks, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.