5.0 HO engine swap wiring question? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2006, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2324
5.0 HO engine swap wiring question?

I am putting a ford 5.0 HO Mustang engine in my 85 4Runner and I have it mounted in and everything already and I am starting the wiring and I have been told its a matter of about 5 wires but my question is where to start I do have the Ford fuel injection and electronic engine control book and I have the complete wiring harnes and computer out of the donor car which was an 87 mustang with 5 speed tranny and I would just like to know from someone who has done this as far as what wires I need to splice into on the Toyota harnes and whats the best way to go and what 5 wires need connected to what. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 4677
Quote:
Originally Posted by kknigh
I am putting a ford 5.0 HO Mustang engine in my 85 4Runner and I have it mounted in and everything already and I am starting the wiring and I have been told its a matter of about 5 wires but my question is where to start I do have the Ford fuel injection and electronic engine control book and I have the complete wiring harnes and computer out of the donor car which was an 87 mustang with 5 speed tranny and I would just like to know from someone who has done this as far as what wires I need to splice into on the Toyota harnes and whats the best way to go and what 5 wires need connected to what. Thanks in advance for any help.
Interesting. I've been considering doing a engine swap in my 86 Extracab, 5-speed. Will the 5.0 fit without having to do a body lift? Why did you chose to go 5.0? I'd prefer not to have to change out the drive train. I only need about 190 to 200 HP. It would be a daily driver. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks.
Gnarls.
Gnarly4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2006, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Piggin' Ain't Easy

Member # 43587
Send a message via AIM to TBItoy
This info is out there somewhere. SO you should search some more.

But basically, You have have to power the ECM, the fuel pump, and the cranking circuit. On my TBI swap, I just picked wires from the factory toyota engine harness plugs to put power to the wires I needed. I even used inline fuses (ghetto, yes i know)

Just for example, On the chevy TBI the fuse box has an ECM, INJECTORS, and CRANK circuits. The ECM and INJECTORS circuits are on key-on power and the CRANK circuit is powered when the key is cranking. After those are hooked up. IT RUNS!

Last edited by TBItoy; 10-29-2006 at 09:17 AM.
TBItoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 10480
everything you need to know to wire a mass air motor. its almost the same for a speed density too. next time search, i fount this on google in less that 5 seconds

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=6
broncoboy351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 16751
I did this swap in my 74 Bronco.

Its the easiest EFI swap to wire up.

You need a crank, a run, and a crank&run wire.

I ran a hot wire from the ign switch to to a relay that powers the fuel pump, the ECM the o2 sensor heaters, and a wire from the ign switch to signal the dizzy that you are cranking, so it retards the timeing.

on a modern vehicle you can probably find all this under the hood, or near the stock ECM, if your 85 has one.

Use metal fuel lines, if you cheap out and use rubber you will over heat the fuel. i used rubber for the new supply line and the stock metal line for the return, and wound up having to use a power steering cooler in the return line, because the fuel would get too hot and actually boil & vapor lock.

You also should consider using a inertia switch, that will kill the fuel pump ina crash.
2X on the fordfuelinjection, thats the best site for Ford transplants.

www.bcbroncos.com
http://bcbroncos.com/store/index.php?cPath=27_51_108

also has lots of stuff that will make the EFI transplant easier.

lots of stuff I wish had been available 7 years ago when I did mine.
Like these fuel rail adapters
http://bcbroncos.com/store/product_i...roducts_id=810

I have a 95 4Runner with the blown 3VZ 6 cyl.
Im torn between the 5.0 Ford or the Lexus 4.0 swap.

the Ford is very easy to wire up.
Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?[Alan Keyes]

For some, Freedom matters, for most, prosperity suffices.[Fred Reed]

74Bronco EFI 5spd

Last edited by roundhouse; 10-29-2006 at 01:09 PM.
roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 70253
i just finished my swap a few months ago and havnt looked back im running no body lift and only about 2 inches of lift with the axle about 3/4 inches forward from stalk and i still have all the stalk springs.

i used an aod ford transmition and a dodge 208 tcase with a ford 208 inputshaft witch all bolted up together. all i hade to do was beat in the tunnell a little bit where the t case was cause i decided to put it up as hight as i can.

but now for wiring

starter, run a wire from the key to the starter relay Done

computer, find out what wires have live power when key is in run position and dont run that directly to the computer run it to a relay and find another live higher draw source and trust me u will be glad u do this cause my yes did work but performed poorly. make shure u put a few realy good ground straps on the motor to the chasy

fule pump just go through the factory toyota relay for the pump and cut i think ists only 2 wires fron the ford green plug that goes to the original ford pump just refer to the toyota manual for what kind of power it needs and find the same in the ford harnes and conect. its quite easy and make shure u have vary good grounds for all of the factory ford ground wires.

and the original toyota fule pump is good enough for the ford setup.

hope that all makes sence if u have any more questions about my setup just ask

andrew
toyoandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2324
Thanks for the post

I was hoping to have someone reply that has done it to a toyota but thanks for all the great links and info. As far as why I chose the 5.0 just because its a good engine for its size and I like the layout of the engine and there is tons of aftermarket parts and it did fit pretty well. I do not have a body lift but I do have about a 7 inch suspension lift with a single Marlin crawler box in it. It has been allot of work so far but I think it will be worth it. Sorry for not searching I was just hoping to communicate with someone who had done this before so I could ask them a few questions.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 70253
like i said if u have questions just ask cause i just finished myn a few months ago
Old 10-30-2006, 09:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 34865
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyoandrew
like i said if u have questions just ask cause i just finished myn a few months ago
I'm getting ready to do this swap also. What did you do for cooling. Electric fan? How tight was the front clearance on the raidiator(sp)? Kinda wish someone could post a pic of their engine compartment after the swap.
rockdog57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 70253
its close to the rad but still far enough away

and for cooling i used a mecedies benz pusher fan witch covered the whole front of the radiator

ill post pics as soon as i can
Old 10-31-2006, 07:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 10480
here are some pictures of my swap in my 84 ext cab. I have a giant becool rediator in the front with flex-a-lite dual 10" fans. I need to modify the hell out of the radiator support to get it to fit. Some people say they get away with using the v6 radiator or just reusing the stock mustang radiator. if you have any question feel free to ask.
Attached Images

Last edited by broncoboy351; 10-31-2006 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
You may find this of some help. 5.0 into an 83 pu.

http://www.whiteknucklemotorsports.n...d=38&Itemid=27

As long as my tires are dirty, I am happy!!!!

http://www.davezoffroadperformance.com/
http://www.marlincrawler.com/
http://www.12voltguy.com/
OOP'S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 34865
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncoboy351
here are some pictures of my swap in my 84 ext cab. I have a giant becool rediator in the front with flex-a-lite dual 10" fans. I need to modify the hell out of the radiator support to get it to fit. Some people say they get away with using the v6 radiator or just reusing the stock mustang radiator. if you have any question feel free to ask.
Will you be able to run the stock toy grill? That was what I was hoping to do with mine. Thanks for the info!
rockdog57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:18 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 5371
Send a message via MSN to rockota
The cleanest 5.0 swap in the world...

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~jonhel5/Engine.htm
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 10480
i'm running the stock grill. Its not hard to do it just requires a little modification since i modified the radiator support.