Pirate 4x4 banner

My Runner is giving a code 5 and 6

661 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Sik4Runners 
#1 ·
Code 5 is the oxygen sensor, I pulled it and it was Black and nasty so I replaced it. Now what is this code 6? The codes from the FAQ and off-road.com, say it is:

RPM SIGNAL-NO SIGNAL TO ECU FROM DISTRIBUTOR ("Ne" OR "G") AFTER ENGINE HAS BEEN CRANKED
--DISTRIBUTOR/CIRCUIT

--STARTERSIGNAL CIRCUIT

--IGNITER/IGNITER CIRCUIT

--ECU

WTF:confused: :confused: !!!!! Anyone encounter this before??????? Please help me out Guys, you hav'nt let me down thus far. :D

#6 · (Edited)
did you try and clear the codes to see if they came back?...a 6 usualy only comes up if your crank the engine with the ignigtor or distributor unpluged.

the "thingy" on the side of the TB would be a Throttle Position Sensor and is not relevant to code 6..:shaking:

#7 ·
I erased the codes last night.......but they came back !!!!!!! :mad3: I don't know what to do. I would'nt be that mad....except my insurance totaled my work truck from a fender bender !!!! (DEATH TO AAA) So i am required to run my Toy as my daily driver and he is only getting like 7-10 MPG, as oppose to 18-23 before. Is there anyone that owns a diagnostic machine, NOT A CODE READER, that can help me out for real real cheap. Or are there any other suggestions?????? :confused:

#8 ·
shooter said:
did you try and clear the codes to see if they came back?...a 6 usualy only comes up if your crank the engine with the ignigtor or distributor unpluged.

the "thingy" on the side of the TB would be a Throttle Position Sensor and is not relevant to code 6..:shaking:
Would it still run with the ignitor unplugged? I have it tuned to where it runs like a bat out of hell, but he idles at like 1500 RPMs in Park or Neutral.

#9 ·
Sik4Runners said:
Would it still run with the ignitor unplugged? I have it tuned to where it runs like a bat out of hell, but he idles at like 1500 RPMs in Park or Neutral.
No, it won't spark w/o the ignitor.
However, it will run w/o timing signal from the ECU.

Distributor -> ignitor -> ecu -> ignitor -> coil.

Sounds like you've got a failing distributor signal, maybe a bad ignitor, or perhaps a connection issue.

http://lakebox.dnsalias.com/photos/1988 4runner/megasquirt/med/toyotaVAST.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.