2nd gen 4runner rear leaf swap help.... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2006, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 40585
2nd gen 4runner rear leaf swap help....

I have a couple questions about the rear suspension on my 94 runner. Being that I swaped in leaf spring suspension, I have no idea on where to mount the shocks (frame side) Weld in a new cross member? How much of the stock crossmember's are you cutting out?

Rear bump stop, I still have the factory coil bump stop. I did not cut it out yet. Are you making your own?

Also, what about the brake load valve? Are you guys keeping it, exstending it or what?

Park brake, being that I have a cable to each backing plate, what are you all doing? T-case E-brake?

I am building this with the trail gear front and rear kits.
Sorry for all the newb questions, this is my first Yota build. Crossed over from a Samurai I have pretty much figured out the front suspension. Alot of SAS info on here. Not much for the rear swap's.

Thanks in advance, Don
konacaliboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 41026
Make or buy an upper shock crossmember, Sky sells a nice one.

Don't run any rear bumpstops if the springs don't go too negaive. If they do, get some bumpstops.

For the brake load valve, you can plumb in an adjustable proportioning valve, cut the rod that goes to the axle on the BLPV and tie it up wide open (what I did), or just don't run a proportioning valve of any type.

Make extensions on the EBrake arms so you can mount the cable higher up.

Last edited by 91Toyota4x4; 12-29-2006 at 07:23 AM.
91Toyota4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2006, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 21134
I welded shock mounts to the stock cross member, but if I could do it again I'd cut out the cross member and use my own so that I can get the shocks more upright.

I'm using the stock bumpstops with extensions welded to the U-bolt plate thingy. Works well but I don't remember if you can still use the stock ones if you cut out the cross member.

The stock proportioning valve does the same thing as the aftermarket ones so I don't see any reason to change it. I just cut the rod and will eventually rig up an adjuster for it. Geiger and 4crawler has some webpages up showing how they did theirs.

My stock parking brake works just fine. I didn't do anything.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Grocery Getter

Member # 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood150 View Post
The stock proportioning valve does the same thing as the aftermarket ones so I don't see any reason to change it. I just cut the rod and will eventually rig up an adjuster for it. Geiger and 4crawler has some webpages up showing how they did theirs.
In my experience, the stock LSPV is not capable of compensating for the differences that larger tires throw into the mix and cannot be adjusted to get the rear brakes working as well as you can get them to work with an aftermarket valve.

On my brother in law's we chopped everything out until we basically had clean frame rails like a leaf spring truck came with, added a new crossmember for the shocks, and didn't worry about bumpstops. Also used an aftermarket prop valve.

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/pics/edsas.htm#Rear

Last edited by ErikB; 12-29-2006 at 09:20 AM.
ErikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 34860
I had the same problem finding info when I did my 92. And Marlin hadnt done one, So I spent a lot of time explaining my experiences with bumpstops and shocks in my build thread.... http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=74915

I suggest running the shocks as verticle as possible try to avoid the "A" design.. / \ Try to get them more like l l anyway there is a couple pages on that in the thread.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 40585
I see on 4rnr's write up that he did not inboard the upper shock mounts. I was thinking of that also being that the 4runners are so heavy and this will be a DD as well. As far as the mounting of the shocks up top. I do like having them more straight above the axle as behind it. But that would also save me money not buying Sky's relocation mount.

What do you guys think of running them behind the axle? Would there be less possability of axle wrap?
konacaliboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 4091
this is what i did
shocks are 29" apart top and bottem.for the top i put a piece of 1.5 sch40
pipe across the frame right beside the rearmost crossmember.then tabs off that.looking from the side the shocks angle back slightly.handles great for a dd runner

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?t=104127&page=2