1989 Toyota Pickup SAS Build - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 118530
2nd in line for the ifs stuff if not taken by "Tire"
KCaudill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 72746
Send a message via AIM to MaXXis85
IFS lift is sold and I already installed it on the purchaser's vehicle. Thanks for the inquiries.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 113164
How is everything working for ya? Did you take that bodylift off yet? What did your frame height end up being after everything settled out?
fourx4sr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2009, 01:51 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 72746
I finally got around to putting my Dual transfer cases in my rig after they have been collecting dust on the shop floor.
TG dual tcase assembly 23 spline input and coupler, V6 adapter plate, 3/8" dual case Xmember, and twin stick. Crawlbox is 2.28, and Tcase has 4.7:1 gears.

Driveshafts will be made from 2.5x.1875 DOM tubing by Hurricane Offroad in Lake Charles, LA. I will have CV's front and rear on the tcase flanges and a one peice rear driveshaft.

Here is the installation of the Dual RF1A's.

old 2 peice dshaft, front shaft I was running with the single case, and a stock IFS shaft that will be used for its CV up front.

Tcase ready to be pulled

Crappy stock x member soon to be removed

Tcase out. Neat tranny holding device used

Anyone want a VF1A tcase?

Tcase's bolted to Cross member

Installing V6 adapter on RF1A's

Putting permatex on the tranny mating surface.

Tcase stabbed and bolted up.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 72746
Need to cut hole larger for the crawl box to shift into high range.

Last night I installed my twin stick, and enlarged the hole for the crawlbox. I did however destroy my vynil boot to allow it to shift porperly, but luckily my buddy has a leather boot cover I will be purchasing to cover up the hole. I will post more pics once the driveshafts are bolted up.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 72746
After my last wheeling trip To Katemcy I now appreciate the 217:1 crawl ratio, It sure did great allowed me to have good control. This was my first REAL rock wheeling trip and I learned a few things more about wheeling.
1. 3" Body lift has got to go and I will massage fenders to clear the 38's.
2. Hydro assist is going to come in the near future because there were time I was bound up not being able to steer. (stock PS pump with 213k miles).
3. Detroits front and rear are so nice!
4. Toyota front axle turning radius sucks LOL. (i need to adjust my steering stops soon)
Old 06-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 72746
Here is my shifter setup. I notched my floor for my crawlbox shifter and then realized the boot would not seal the floor. So I scored a center console from an 84 4Runner and cut the back side off to clear my twin stick. It has the leather boots aswell. I think it came out looking great for a trial and error fitment.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 125447
hell yeah looking good.
wheelingyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 72746
FINALLY took the 3" Body lift off my truck so the stance is a little better and hopefully make it a tad bit more stable. Luckily the way my shock hoops were place I didnt have to cut a hole in the inner fender. If I ever decide to lower the suspension I'll have to get shorter shocks or cut a hole and move the hoop up.

Im going to wheel it for Thanksgiving in Hot Springs at the Superlift Offroad park so I get to see what else needs to be done. Hydro assist is the next step as it sucks with a locked front, Stock pump with 213k miles, and being boud up never helps.

I will be going to my buddies shop this weekend to rewled the sliders back on and rebuild my front bumper to fit the new body height. I purchased a Trail Gear winch mount so that will be an easy starting point, but i will modify it to accept the 2 hole on the top of each frame rail so there will be 10 bolts that hold the bumper on like I had it before.

before BL removal

mmm... doves we cooked during the process

sliderz removal

finished product

Old 11-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 72746
Here is a shot off my iphone. Sorry for the quality but its the only one I have from the back. I somewhat flexed it in a ditch last night and I will have to trim the rear fenders to clear and also a little on the front. I will do this once I get a good lit day to flex it this weekend so the die grinder with a cutoff wheel can do work.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 115163
Nice! Truck is lookin clean dude
al76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 133542
I wish mine was that clean looks good

82 Chev on 39 1/2 tsl's with not as much stuff

Originally Posted by MT4Runner
He could break a steel ball in a rubber room!!

[url]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=806547[/url]
#1toyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009, 07:00 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 72746
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1toyota View Post
I wish mine was that clean looks good
The reason it looks so good is because I wrecked it out of high school and I fixed the body panels and had it painted. Other than that it's your typical Toyota that had dents scratches from being used as a hunting truck. But I try to keep out from getting too messed up when out on the trail. Thanks.

I am going to Hurricane Offroad this afternoon to have the front bumper modded and finally set up the sliders with gussets.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 72746
The front axles will be getting more attention in weeks to come. I ordered full hydro sttering, 6 shooter knuckles, spingle stud kit, backing plate elleminators, new studs, cone washers, nuts, and kuckle ball gussets. I will document the install on PBB. Nothing crazy tech but its easy on the eyes for those who enjoy reading build threads.

While this is happening I will service my knuckles again and swap to new Timken wheel bearings again being the knuckles are apart. Only 3500 miles since the SAS and one wheel bearing service sice. I found that souther wheeling where mud is present you will get water in there causing corrosion on the bearings. Gotta love it.

Ended up purchasing a Yellow top Optima aswell last ngiht because my Neverstart came loose and ended up in the PS pully in Hot springs. After these modifications I should have the greatest Toyota Front axle minus a beefy housing. I'm just too far along to justify going tons and sacrificing Ground clearance with 38's.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 31353
Send a message via AIM to Kaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXXis85 View Post
The front axles will be getting more attention in weeks to come. I ordered full hydro sttering, 6 shooter knuckles, spingle stud kit, backing plate elleminators, new studs, cone washers, nuts, and kuckle ball gussets. I will document the install on PBB. Nothing crazy tech but its easy on the eyes for those who enjoy reading build threads.

While this is happening I will service my knuckles again and swap to new Timken wheel bearings again being the knuckles are apart. Only 3500 miles since the SAS and one wheel bearing service sice. I found that souther wheeling where mud is present you will get water in there causing corrosion on the bearings. Gotta love it.

Ended up purchasing a Yellow top Optima aswell last ngiht because my Neverstart came loose and ended up in the PS pully in Hot springs. After these modifications I should have the greatest Toyota Front axle minus a beefy housing. I'm just too far along to justify going tons and sacrificing Ground clearance with 38's.
Good time for marlins inner seals and the longfield knuckle seals.

I haven't serviced the front since the SAS several years ago; I'm surprised your getting mud\water in your knuckle bearings - everything is sealed well up front.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 72746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain View Post
Good time for marlins inner seals and the longfield knuckle seals.

I haven't serviced the front since the SAS several years ago; I'm surprised your getting mud\water in your knuckle bearings - everything is sealed well up front.
I failed to mention, I already have Marlin inner seals. I installed those when I swapped to longs. I had issues with water and mud in wheel bearings and little water in the knuckle cavity. The wheel bearing seal was messed up my a rust pit on the spindle, but I buffed that out when the front was torn down last year when I broke my front locker. Hopefully this is the last time I have to tear the front apart for sometimes. I am considering the Marlin wiper seals aswell. I should go ahead and order them.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 150456
how does the truck drive? im looking to doing a SAS wednesday. what kinda of leafs should i use? the truck has 5 inches of lift. would a set of chevy leafs work?
yotacruzer93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2010, 09:29 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 72746
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotacruzer93 View Post
how does the truck drive? im looking to doing a SAS wednesday. what kinda of leafs should i use? the truck has 5 inches of lift. would a set of chevy leafs work?
After a few trips of wheeling the truck rides like complete shit, because my TG springs have no steel sleeve and cause my frame tube bushings to wallow out causing weird lateral movement. When all was new the truck rode better than an IFS cranked up TB toyota... I suggest getting sleeves installed in the bushings as it helps with wear from the bolts.

What you mean chevy leaves? Like a set of front 47" springs for a chevy? Hell IDK try em... Id think they are too stiff. My HD 5" TG springs are stiff, and i think I will pull a couple leaves to soften the rate a little. Hill climbs SUCK because they will not stay compresses and its a weird feeling at the top of a hill and your oil pressure dummy light is on and your about to go over.... Tall leaves SUCK

And if you expect to SAS in a day and have quality work GOOD LUCK. Read this thread, and many more on the PBB and you will learn all you need to know.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 72746
Before I went to Hot springs to wheel the Superlift park I decided to do some maintenance to get the truck ready for the trip. The MAIN reason my truck was fighting itself on compression was my front driveshaft was just about siezed from Mudriding. I had to beat the shaft apart and relube the splines. After that the truck was a breeze to drive again becasuse the slip was working like it should.

Beforehand I installed hydro assist using a PSC TC pump, 1.5"x6" ram, PSC ressy, and a Davez 3.0 adapter to run a TC pump. ( nice unit but it does not keep my pully in line so I eat PS belts) Good thing they are $4.99 at Orellys. I need to somehow pull the bracket off and make it align with the pully on the motor. Also with davez kit you will need to modify the tensioner bracket to have more travel aswell because the arch is the wrong radius. I had the same issues as Brokeassrunner did on his hydro install. At the time of the Hydro assist I performed a full outer axle rebuild and added 6 shooter knuckles. Since then I have wheeled Superlift ORV park, and Barnwell mountain in Gilmer, TX.

I still feel my rig needs to be lower and have wider axles. The Bumpstops of Death from TG suck balls and rattle your teeth when they hit. I am at point of wanting to build another rig on tons or to slap tons on this truck. The truck is still NICE other than a couple battle scars from trees in Hot Springs. I am not certain which way I want to go.

Here are a few pics of the rig.
Shafners Hollow, Superlift ORV park

Gilmer, TX

Old 01-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 177087
Very nice.
MikeS27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #46 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 61493
[QUOTE=MaXXis85;12442947]Before I went to Hot springs to wheel the Superlift park I decided to do some maintenance to get the truck ready for the trip. The MAIN reason my truck was fighting itself on compression was my front driveshaft was just about siezed from Mudriding. I had to beat the shaft apart and relube the splines. After that the truck was a breeze to drive again becasuse the slip was working like it should.

Beforehand I installed hydro assist using a PSC TC pump, 1.5"x6" ram, PSC ressy, and a Davez 3.0 adapter to run a TC pump. ( nice unit but it does not keep my pully in line so I eat PS belts) Good thing they are $4.99 at Orellys. I need to somehow pull the bracket off and make it align with the pully on the motor. Also with davez kit you will need to modify the tensioner bracket to have more travel aswell because the arch is the wrong radius. I had the same issues as Brokeassrunner did on his hydro install. At the time of the Hydro assist I performed a full outer axle rebuild and added 6 shooter knuckles. Since then I have wheeled Superlift ORV park, and Barnwell mountain in Gilmer, TX.

QUOTE]

Give me a cal land I will explain why your pulleys dont line up.

Yukon parts on SALE
3rd Members priced right. 530-622-2148
for all your electrical needs http://www.12voltguy.com/
TOYOTAPARTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 72746
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYOTAPARTS View Post
Give me a cal land I will explain why your pulleys dont line up.
Will do. Thanks Dave
Old 04-26-2011, 08:54 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 189267
How high is the frame height with the 5" lift and r u still running 38's?
Adorich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 72746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorich View Post
How high is the frame height with the 5" lift and r u still running 38's?
I will have to get back to you on the frame height. I am still running 38" TSL's. The kicker to my measurement is I moved so Ill have to find a somewhat level surface to measure from, A gravel driveway isnt the best to pull measurements from hahahah. Im going to go out on a limb and say Its close to 26" at the door.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:28 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 186071
Any updates?
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.