22R, 22RE, 22RTE Vacuum Diagrams - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2006, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 24091
I've been trying to find some vacuum info on here, and noticed a lot of other people have as well. A lot of other threads have dead links, or just a "Go get a chilton's" responses. (Which IS what people should do!)

I thought I'd toss some info I've found out there so maybe some people have a single thread that might help them out, diagrams & all.

1984 Toyota 22RE

1984 Toyota 22RE (California Emissions)

1984 Toyota 22RE (Federal & Canadian Emissions)

1985-87 Toyota 22RE

1985-86 Toyota 22R (Federal & Canadian Emissions)

1985-86 Toyota 22R (California Emissions)

1987 Toyota 22R (California Emissions)

1988 Toyota 22R (Federal & Canada Emissions)

1988 Toyota 22R (California Emissions)

VACUUM COMPONENT DEFINITIONS:
AAP: Auxiliary Acceleration Pump
ABV: Air By-Pass Valve
ASV: Air Switching Valve
BVSV: Bi-Metal Vacuum Switching Valve
CB: Choke Breaker
DP: Dashpot
EACV: Electronic Air Control Valve
EGR: Exhaust Gas Recirculation
EVAP: Fuel Evaporative Emission Control
HAC: High Altitude Compensation
HAI: Hot Air Intake
HIC: Hot Idle Compensation
MC: Mixture Control
PCV: Positive Crankcase Ventilation
TP: Throttle Positioner
TVSV: Thermostatic Vacuum Transmitting Valve
VCV: Vacuum Control Valve
VSV: Vacuum Switching Valve
VTV: Vacuum Transmitting Valve

more to come.....

Last of the diagrams I have:

1988 Toyota 22RE

1988 Toyota 22RE (Federal & Canadian Emissions)

1986-1988 Toyota 22RTE

Toyota 2F

And a handy link from Vatozone with more component operation/troubleshooting stuff
Old 06-28-2007, 12:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 33725
Thanks for pulling this out rick...found it on my first search and just helped me figure out where that last switch went for my efi swap.
millerjouni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2007, 08:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 102648
I have an 86 RTE 4Runner and it doesn't quite match the diagrams. It looks like a mix of the 84RE and the RTE diagrams. I've got an apparently broken VSV (the hoses sort of match the middle, non-highlighted part of the 84 diagram) On the EFI body there is a module with a plastic spring loaded adjuster knob that matches the 84 diagram. The VSV (p/n 084600-3310) apparently has 3 bibs for vacuum hoses, but all of the diagrams only show two going to it? The two plastic ones on mine are broken. There is one metal one. Is there a diagram which has more detail of this part? My Haynes manual has the same diagrams you've posted. Thanks!
eljefe42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2007, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 100069
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe42 View Post
I have an 86 RTE 4Runner and it doesn't quite match the diagrams. It looks like a mix of the 84RE and the RTE diagrams. I've got an apparently broken VSV (the hoses sort of match the middle, non-highlighted part of the 84 diagram) On the EFI body there is a module with a plastic spring loaded adjuster knob that matches the 84 diagram. The VSV (p/n 084600-3310) apparently has 3 bibs for vacuum hoses, but all of the diagrams only show two going to it? The two plastic ones on mine are broken. There is one metal one. Is there a diagram which has more detail of this part? My Haynes manual has the same diagrams you've posted. Thanks!
I've found that the underhood stickers are the most complete. Here's the sticker from a 1987 22R-TE 4Runner [w/Calif. emissions]. It shows stuff that's not on the diagrams posted above, like the vacuum reservoir under your battery. Still, it doesn't show any 3-nipple VSVs, nor do I see one on my 22R-TE.

Here's a cheap fix for broken plastic vacuum nipples:
>Rough up the valve and the broken-off nipple with a wire wheel
>Clean up the parts with alcohol
>Cut off a short piece of the straw from a spray can, like carb spray
>Assemble the broken nipple back on the valve with the piece of straw down the center
>Mix up a little batch of JB Weld epoxy
>Glue the nipple back onto the valve and let it set up with the nipple pointing up

The straw will keep the vacuum port from becoming sealed off with epoxy, and can be left in place. This won't survive rough treatment, but will make a permanent repair.
yota4runna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2007, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 102648
Thanks! The underhood sticker on mine is deteriorated. I recently purchased it so I don't have the broken off bits of the VSV. I think the part I'm talking about is the middle actuator-VSV circuit with the dashed lines. I think the VSV on mine is missing another part, because there is a bib on the end. Off to the dealership on Monday...
eljefe42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 20597
Giving back to the forum...

Tearing down my 22RE and documenting the vacuum / hose locations. Some pics are not the best and I'll continue adding to this album until it's down to the bare minimum... 1987 22RE top end tear down: http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/m...E%20Top%20End/

I have this in an 11MB .pdf (hi-res pics) and as soon as I find a hosting solution, I'll post a link. Until then, if you want a .pdf version of the pics, email to azrain@cox.net
azrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
White Trash Fab

Member # 100827
Send a message via AIM to smewhtguy
The 85-87 re diagram above has alot less than what I have losing the turbo on my 87, with just what is pictured in that diagram does any one think it would cause an issues?

The "Trifecta"
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1027210
DirtyGirl build
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...irty-girl.html
smewhtguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 117828
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe42 View Post
I have a metal 3 port VSV on mine as well. From what I remember, the spring loaded adjuster knob goes to the PS pump, then another line runs from the PS pump to the metal VSV, and out, to the throttle body. The third port is open. I don't think it should, but it is on mine.

The lines to the PS pump are simply an idle up when the PS pump is at full lock. The pressure connects the two lines together, allowing air to pass around the throttle plate, raising the idle. The adjustment knob adjusts how much it idles up. What the VSV is for, I have no idea.

Edit: I have an 86 FSM at home, I could see if it has any mention of it, but I doubt it.

Last edited by annoyingrob; 05-02-2009 at 08:21 PM.
annoyingrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 02:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 71441
I hate to ask this question on Pirate, but here it goes anyways.

I have a 85 4runner with auto transmission. Ever since I replaced my engine, I am having problems with stalling when in low gear and at angle. When the engine was replaced I had to get a new throttle body. The new TB has a VTV on it, and the old one did not. Could this be causing the problem?
Old 09-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Grandmas Rock!

Member # 12945
Vacuum Hose Information

I may have over looked it but I did not see any Info on a 90's truck. The older one may be the same i am not sure. But here is a toyota diagram from under the hood. I searched the inter net for an hour befor I just gave up.

1992 Toyota 22re manual trans
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCDOC
Where are these fawking newbs coming from? Does Lance have a banner running on MySpace or something?
harley_sr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 153944
What is this, how to fix

Hi,
I have a '92 4x4 truck with a 22RE engine. A piece has broken or fell off and I don't know what is called or how to fix it. I tried to attach a picture but couldn't. The part is the piece on the drivers side in the middle of the EFI intake that has/had a plastic cap sitting on a spring with two hoses coming off going to what appeared to be a damper on the power steering pump. In the pic it is the hoses that are not solid black, which I take to mean not part of the vacuum system, don't know though. All I know is that when the engine warms up it does not idle right nor accellerate without flooring it.
Thanks for any and all help in advance.
Grill
It's in the top picture here. That part that does not have solid black lines.

Last edited by Grill; 02-14-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Grill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 110275
on that first diagram of the 88 22re can you tell me which vsv is the blue one and which one is the brown one thats on the valve cover? my blue one has been relocated and i need help finding out which one is which
Old 03-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 155603
My 86 truck doesn't match any of the diagrams in this thread or any diagram in the 85 & 88 FSMs that I found on-line. The dealer printed out a diagram for my 86 from their on-line system and it doesn't match that either. The SMOG tech won't pass the truck because there are open ports and my under-hood diagrams are gone! The ports are on two VSVs that are part of the idle valve that bypasses air around the throttle as described by others earlier in this thread. As suggested I think that they are not part of the emissions controls proper and that thats why they are not shown on the emissions diagram; but their not shown in the P/S or A/C section of the FSM either ? My truck is a 1986 California SR5 w/22R-E, P/S and A/C. Can anyone post a diagram from a FSM or a picture of an under-hood diagram for a truck that shows how these two VSVs are connected?
tasherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 40
will those pics stay Linked up for years to come?
or turn to red Xs
TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO
:evil:-[COLOR="Red"]Awesome web development for your business[/COLOR]. [url]www.mudnworks.com[/url] [email]mud@mudnworks.com[/email]
[URL="http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654231"]Pat's W I D E TOYOTA Front Axle[/URL]
--"07 RoadStar 1700-4sale"
SeaBass44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66259
i posted this the other day.
Attached Images

spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 155603
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
i posted this the other day.
That appears to be a diagram for a carb'd engine. Mine is EFI. I think 85-87 are the same, but 84s and 88s are different. I've found 100s of posts and pictures but none match what I have. I have one pres valve on the P/S pump, one VSV that I think is for the A/C, and one VSV for which I have no idea (I saw one post that suggested it might be for electrical load). If I can't find a diagram that shows them the SMOG tech will not pass the vehicle. Just to be clear these are not for the EGR, fuel pressure regulator, evap, or air injection. They all have something to do with the idle speed.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 155603
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasherman View Post
Just to be clear these are not for the EGR, fuel pressure regulator, evap, or air injection. They all have something to do with the idle speed.
Let me rephrase that: unless someone has hooked them up wrong or combined parts from more than one year !
Old 03-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 155603
The url below is the closest picture that I have found to what I have:

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...g?t=1267829870

The differences are:

1) the vacuum line to and from the P/S pump appear to be capped off in the picture.
2) the blue VSV laying on the rear of the valve cover in the picture is attached to the center of my valve cover with the other VSV.
3) They seem to be plumbed differently.

I'm assuming that the black VSV laying on the center of the valve cover in the picture is for the A/C. Yes or No?

What is the blue VSV for?

Last edited by tasherman; 03-05-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 147604
That blue vsv adjust the fuel pressure while starting....Not required if you want to remove it.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ine_Pix/9.html
Egor88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 07:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 61493
I love the first couple that are labled 22re and show a carb?

Yukon parts on SALE
3rd Members priced right. 530-622-2148
for all your electrical needs http://www.12voltguy.com/
TOYOTAPARTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 36464
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYOTAPARTS View Post
I love the first couple that are labled 22re and show a carb?
Hottrod81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2010, 04:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 167331
Thanks for posting.

Just what I needed to finish up re-motoring an old turd truck I picked up for $100.
bherde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2011, 12:25 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 180066
can somone please tell me what C & C means
burr2of4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 42400
Send a message via AIM to jarmumd
Pretty sure it means "California and Canada", as opposed to Federal (all other states) in terms of emissions set ups.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 196152
Hard starteing

I have a 1984 toyota 4x4 with 22r and when I drive it for a while then shut it off and go back out to starte it the truck will not starte. All it does is turns over wait about half hour starte right up. Some times is a hard starter in the mornning as well. Anybody have idea what it might be? I all ready put new plugs,wires,cap and rotor nothing still the same thing. Somebody said something about the AAP haven't tried that yet. Thanks if anybody can help me out with this issue.
nebraska toyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.