3.0L-V6(3VZE) To 3.4L-V6(5VZFE) Engine Conversion - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2004, 12:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 27202
3.0L-V6(3VZE) To 3.4L-V6(5VZFE) Engine Conversion

3.0L(3VZE) To 3.4L(5VZFE) Engine Conversion

3.0L Parts Needed:
Motor mounts
Bell housing
Clutch fork
Throw-out bearing
Radiator/shroud/fan
Oil pressure sender
-The 3.4L mounts sits at different angle although the bolt pattern is the same. I think the bell housing is the same for both but not positive, same for T/O bearing and clutch fork. The 3.0L fan will bolt to the 3.4L fan clutch, I think all the 3.4L radiator parts will work also but not positive.

3.4L Parts Needed:
Engine ECU
Engine wiring harness
Clutch/pressure plate/pilot bearing
Flywheel
Intake system with MAF sensor
Radiator hoses
All sensors including both o2 sensors, etc
Evap box
All accessories (A/C, PS, alternator, radiator fan clutch, belts, etc)
-The 3.0L evap can may be used with the 3.4L evap can sensors to save space in the engine bay. I will get some pic of how to do this.

Universal Parts:
5-Speed tranny (R-150F, same manual tranny for both motors)
-At this time I have little info on swapping in an auto tranny, it can be done and at minimum requires the 3.4L auto ECU and 3.4L 4-speed auto trans. Although the number designation given the 3.0L tranny and the bolt pattern are the same as the 3.4L tranny, they are not compatible electronically. Off-Road Solutions is now offering kits and instructions on completing this swap.

Additional OEM Parts Needed:
2WD T-100 Oil Pan
2WD T-100 Oil Sump
2WD T-100 Dip Stick & Tube
-I understand that if swapping into a 2WD truck the stock 3.0L oil-pan can be reused with some modification.

Additional Custom Parts Needed:
Conversion wiring harness (To adapt engine harness to body harness)
Flex Fuel Line Adapter (To adapt engine fuel lines to body fuel lines)
Battery Tray (Opposite side of 3.0L configuration)

Body Modifications:
2" body lift to accommodate additional height of 3.4L intake manifold
-Hood can be cut instead, I will make a template of the hole and post it soon. Also a scoop or cowl can be grafted to cover hole. I believe toyotafiberglass.com is making a bulge hood for this.

Known Bugs & Solutions:
The tach, cruise control and A/C all will not work because the 3.4L uses positive pulse RPM readings and the 3.0L uses negative pulse to control these devices. Also the stock oil gauge will fry due to the 3.4L sending a higher voltage.

Tach Solution:
Solder 10K-OHM resistor between two contacts on back of*the stock 3.0L tach. The links below are pics of the tach mod for both 2nd(84-88) and 3rd(89-95) gen trucks.
Tach Pic 1
Tach Pic 2

Cruise Control Solution:
Adapt 3.0L cruise system or ideally install complete 3.4L controls and wiring

A/C Solution:
You need the electronic card from the 3.4L A/C cooling unit located behind the glove box in the donor vehicle. With the 3.0L configuration the card receives a signal from the negative side of the ignition, in order to work now it will now need to receive a positive signal from the ECU instead. You will need Toyota wiring diagrams to figure this one out.

Oil Pressure Gauge Solution:
Voltage Differences Require Use Of 3.0L Oil Pressure Sender To Prevent Damage to 3.0L Gauge. Or you can use the 3.4L gauge. Some people claim to not have a problem but more than not have fried the stock gauge.

Links:
Off-Road Solutions Pioneer in 3.4L engine conversions
Yotatech Thread Good info
4x4Wire Thread Good info

I will update this with more pics soon and more information as I gather it. Please inform me of any errors or additional info.

Last edited by SEAN_at_TLT; 10-30-2004 at 04:09 PM.
SEAN_at_TLT is offline   Reply With Quote